User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: What do most of you redeem your $170 worth of points on one transaction?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello,

I'm new to this site, but started accumulating SDM optimum points a last year. I'm faced with an odd dilemma of not really knowing what to do with the points. I'm coming up on 190000 points soon, so I have a lot I could redeem for, but for a household of two adults and no kids, it's not obvious. Looking over the past year, the items I have purchased at SDM are typically:

-OTC mediations and similar (Benilyn, sinus medication, contact lens cleaner, supplements, epsom slats etc)
    -Snacks and small food items (cookies, milk, eggs, Akashi cereal, chips, coke, soup)
    -Video games
    -Electronics (I bought a cheap laptop a while back, a logitech bluetooth speaker on clearance as a christmas gift and three of the $50 computer monitors a few weeks ago)
    -Rechargeable batteries when 50% off or more
    -Wind Mobile vouchers (which are not printable anyways)

I saw a Nikon SLR camera on clearance for $299, and I would get that in a second if I could combine two redemptions on one item, but I can't do that (without going the shady redeem-and-return for a gift card scheme), and I can't really justify paying the difference for another camera I don't really need.

Buying $170 of food and snacks is likely a waste unless I can find lots of non-perishable items that don't expire for a long time, assuming SDM has enough stock.

I would have redeemed when I bought the monitors a few weeks ago, but I had to go to three stores that had one unit each in stock, so I would not have been able to get $170 in one transaction.

My best bet may be to try to find a SDM that has three worthwhile recent video games in stock (not easy in my area), or try to forecast our OTC medication needs for the next 6 months and buy it all in one go. My wife goes through a lot of Epsom slats in the bath; I'd actually buy $170 worth of those in one go, but the stores never have more than 3 or 4 in stock at any point in time.

What do you guys generally redeem the $170 for in one go?
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart, WIND Mobile
    Ciel and terry2144 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Well when my kids were young it was easy. Diapers/formula and other baby supplies. But I'm like you now and have a hard time spending $170 + in one shot at shoppers. My last redemption I bought a few Christmas gifts, a future birthday gift and food. Steak and ground beef! I think that's what I will top off my next redemption. I still only shop the sales with my points so I'm not going to fill my cart with overpriced crap. Good luck!
    Momof3girlies, Ciel and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Im in the same boat I have enough for a redemption towards a laptop but dont have the money to pay the difference. I have trouble getting to $50 and $75 nevermind $170.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

I just redeemed $170 on food the other day. Prices on many things were decent and by redeeming on food there are minimal taxes to be paid. Still it was challenging, as always, to make the best use of the points, but I did not overpay for anything so I am happy.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually try to redeem for gifts, if I can find anything appropriate - toys for younger kids, electronics (headphones, videogames), beauty items. Also any household items I might need - Brita filters, shoe polish, cat litter, tissues and so on. Food of course, if it's what I use and at a good price.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Beauty Boutique. They have everything I need when it comes to skincare and cosmetics. The price piles up fast, especially the nice brands like Stila, Estee Lauder, Dior, or Guerlain. I figure that since the points are "free" or bonus, then I might as well get the luxury cosmetics.

and if you are a guy, then the products at Beauty Boutique make great gifts for mom, spouse, partner, teenagers, boss, etc.
    Last edited by jsmile; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 03:08 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I keep a running list of want, need and luxury items for redemptions. I also make the most of my redemption by looking for bonus points, rebates (get money back), coupons and up coming occasions. Most are for expensive day to day items like garbage bags, canned fish and other food supplies. Luxury items are usually electronics that my kids want.
    If you have advance notice perhaps you could pre order a large quantity.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also keep a running list of things I need but NEVER want to pay for as I can never get them cheap enough:

garbage bags
    light bulbs
    kids toothpaste
    kids shampoo
    pickles
    condiments
    baking supplies
    chicken strips
    paper towels
    batteries

always looking for gifts/stationery aisle/seasonal aisles for kids stuff
    items with bonus points/rebates

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I usually redeem 50,000 points, which gives me $85 at regular redemption, or $100 or so on a bonus redemption day. The value of the points isn't quite as high as redeeming 95K, but it's the next best thing. It's also an amount that is reachable.

I mostly redeem for gifts (dh has a PS3, so games or controllers for him, and have redeemed for make-up for my step-daughters). I did get myself a Kobo a couple of years ago. One video game runs around $60, so if only want that, can add some other things like meds, supplies or food.

This past November I redeemed 95K points for $210 on the bonus weekend. I used it to buy a 10" tablet for dh. It cost me $39 more than my redemption amount, plus the tax, for a total of $72 OOP. Not bad for dh's main Christmas gift that he was not expecting, but hoping for. The gift was a hit.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

It is a challenge. I have not been able to redeem at the highest level so instead I wait for lower bonus redemption promos or where you get points back.

Some things I get because DH and I are creatures of habit and use the same products / brands.
    Clarins face cleanser
    Aveeno Lotion
    Oral B refillable toothbrush heads
    PS3 games (but only once in a while as a treat for DH)
    Chocolate

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

When my children were smaller my redemptions were always all about them. Now they are 4.5 and 3, we are almost out of diapers and I feel like the redemptions can finally be for MEEEEE!! (As selfish as that may seem, I never do anything for myself). I do half the redemption for me and the rest on things we may need like toothbrushes for the kids, luffas, my kids use La Roche Posay Body Wash.
    My last redemption I redeemed for things like
    Lise Watier eye shadow $19
    Biotherm Facewash $28-30
    Biotherm Blue Therapy Moisturizer (I believe it's $85)
    Silk, Ciel, Scottishgal and 4 others like this.

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

At one of the shoppers near me they have lead better steak, grd beef and chicken breasts. I also get mself channel #5 since I would never spend $130 on perfume for myself

Scottishgal
    Trading Score
    480 (100%)

Yes, I do the same as many have mentioned above. I buy items that I don't usually have coupons for. I'm really low on spices right now so I will add that to the list. Also Light Bulbs, Baking powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Pepper, Walnuts, Raisins, Brown Sugar, Batteries, etc. I also try and fit in a MIR for something I need to get back some of the money

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

A couple thoughts that work for our family...

We now redeem at $85 on bonus redemptions days, we get to this level faster and find we are not "looking" for things to redeem.

We don't worry quite as much about "deals" when redeeming anymore because free is still the best deal.

Last year, DH used redemption for my stocking, those who love you are often better at spoiling you than yourself (send them with a list of things you want). Of course you could also use for gifts for family and friends. Mother's day and Father's day are around the corner if those are something you participate in.

We will probably do some $170 redemptions again in the next year or so with a new little one on the way...always buying diapers, wipes and when I am done breastfeeding, formula.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If you are serious about spending the whole amount on Epsom Salts ask your local SDM to pre-order for you
    Ciel, Granger, MillieH and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information