• 3 Post By FallenPixels
  • 2 Post By annedougherty
  • 1 Post By Anna Michele
  • 1 Post By FallenPixels
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: Does anyone in Hamilton know what kind of water we have?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I apologize for all my water questions I'm just trying to find a solution to my hair turning orange when washing it, anyway, I contacted this company today and because my water currently stains my hair orange it made me think I have iron in my water, but the guy on the phone said there's no iron in our water, all of our city water(water from Lake Ontario) is filtered...so if you have issues with rust or odour, bad taste etc in your water than it's because you have old pipes and it's inside the pipes(everything builds up etc) that's the problem../buildup in old pipes.

I just wanted to know if this is true?

Question:
    I don't understand though...if the water is clean/filtered then it shouldn't affect the pipes? Am I right or wrong about that?
    but if it's just "my" pipes that are "old" then other people in the city their water is fine without any type of filtration..if I went to their house and washed my hair it wouldn't be orange? is this correct? I'm just confused about this part..
    for ex. if I went to one of your houses and washed my hair it wouldn't have orange tones.

So...he said a water softener should help, but this morning I was looking through the internet and saw this item:
    (not affiliated with link)
    http://www.homedepot.ca/product/calm...-system/862978

and what it does is clean out your pipes of blockage/rust etc.. so your water is clean...if you have what he said "old pipes" so I'm thinking this would be an ideal solution right?

If I get this and install it on my pipe then my water shouldn't stain my hair correct?

I don't know..what do you guys think?
    (sorry for all the questions this is just really important to me for my hair and I have no one else to talk to about lol.../my dad doesn't care)

Do any of you who live in Hamilton area/get your water from Lake Ontario have issues with orange tones in your hair/ or anything else? I even have a yellow colored back scrubber and even that turns orange in the shower / he made it sound like it's just me who has old pipes and therefor has this problem.....:/
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Depot
    Last edited by JDI007; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 06:04 PM.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Hi there.

I live in the Niagara/Hamilton region. We get water trucked in and are on a cistern. Even when we were on city water we never had orange residue. When we were on city water our water was harder than it is now. If it were me, I would be finding a friend of friend who knows plumbing and come in to check things out for me and make a recommendation before buying anything. Friends of friends are usually honest and will save you money in the long run. Not much help, but that is what I would do.
    Last edited by Granger; Mon, Feb 2nd, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
    Anna Michele, JDI007 and terry2144 like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I have no issues with orange water, but the water is "hard water"
    I know @annedougherty also had issues with hard water and uses a softener shower head, she might be able to help
    Anna Michele, JDI007 and terry2144 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Yes, buy a shower filter! I think there were old pipes in my apartment building. Since we moved into our home my hair is like night and day, and I literally live just down the street now.
    JDI007 and terry2144 like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

my neighbour was saying her water tastes like plastic
    JDI007 likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

When I was younger (35 years ago) we lived in an old house (100+ years old) and the water used to stain my clothing orange because the pipes were so old. They eventually got so bad that all we had was brownish orange water. So glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Yuck.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Tue, Feb 3rd, 2015 at 10:19 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    my neighbour was saying her water tastes like plastic
    Ours isn't plastic tasting but it is a little off so we filter water for drinking. It is fine boiled so we use it from the tap for cooking etc
    JDI007 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Now that I think about it everyone we know uses some type of filter...does that mean everyone has old pipes? :/
    even if I moved into a house with new pipes wouldn't this still eventually happen?
    ..I wish every house came with some sort of filtering pipe mechanism =(

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Well a lot of houses in Hamilton are older, so likely do have older pipes
    But I have never had orange water out of the tap, so that might be a bigger issue
    ~ ~ ~

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's not that it comes out orange, it comes out clear but sometimes leaves orange/red stains esp. on bath products and my hair.
    /I'm gonna look into that Calmat product that's supposed to clean out pipes, hopefully it'll work.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Dissolved minerals are likely causing the staining issue (Metal + water=oxidation). We used to have the heavy metal pipes in the laundry room and kitchen and bathroom. Now it's all PVC. I remember having to let the tap run for a few minutes to get the cold "fresh" water.

If you are colouring your hair, chances are the dissolved minerals are interacting with the chemicals in your colour as well. Chlorine in the water can also affect hair colour.

Were you able to find a shower head filter?
    JDI007 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I did purchase a filter several months ago, the problem is one filter is supposed to last around 3 months and mine I kid you not! after 5 uses(and I ONLY use it when washing hair/when I'm done I take it out) and after 5 hair washes it's already black..
    I think it's oxidizing that's why, I could even see it fogging up inside..I even contacted the company asking why my filter got black so quickly and she said the same thing. ...so that sucks :/
    I was on the home depot website last night and I saw a similar item to the one I want to purchase that clears out the pipes that other one got good reviews so I have hope, if that doesn't work I'll probably be forced to get an expensive water softener
    because I don't know what else to do.
    Ciel likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just thought I would post an update because I did purchase a new product a couple months ago and I'v been testing it out.

I did go with the Calmat because I thought since the guy from the water company told me about the pipe problem I thought this should fix the problem, because the Calmat system is designed for pipes.

Now we don't have clogged pipes to the point where it affects our water flow..we also don't have pure orange/or discoloured water flowing.. our water is clear and our water flow is normal. But we still had some buildup because it was changing the color of my hair.

I purchase the Calmat system from Home Depot online.. beacuse they don't sell it in stores, and we hooked it onto our main pipe for the whole house and it says it uses electric impulses to remove all the buildup in the pipes.
    and I gotta say this works like I never thought it would, when I heard of electric impulses I thought this is ridiculous it's never going to work and it's a waste of money.

But I'v been using the water in our home for a couple months now and my hair has not changed color to orange (YAAAY!)
    I'v never seen my hair look normal after washing it!
    This actually does some serious work in your pipes.
    and best of all it's maintenance free! you don't need to worry about changing a filter or adding salt or whatever, you just wrap it around your pipes select a program (depending on the size and type of pipe you have) and that's it it's on, I really like that it's hassle free! and you just pay one price and that's it! no need to waste money on additional filters/salts etc every few months.

This product really surprised me and I'm also surprised that this product is not more known.. because it's really good and gave me the results I was looking for, now we live in Ontario where our natural water is already softened so I don't know how the effects of water softening works on hard water but ..I assume they will! there is one review on home depot and the guy says that it does soften his hard water so that sounds promising!

(sorry if this sounded like an infomercial, I'm not sponsored/or paid I just really am glad I found something that works..fiiiinally!
    I do recommend it, I think it's worth a try! also home depot has a good return policy I think it's 3 moths.
    Last edited by JDI007; Sat, May 30th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I do appreciate updates on threads with some back and forth on ideas and possible solutions! Thanks for sharing your results to-date!
    JDI007 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information