Thread: QotD: 26 Feb 2015: Lawn and Garden

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Name:  02-26-2015.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  77.8 KB

Stop by the Home & Garden forum!

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by danger_dan; Thu, Feb 26th, 2015 at 07:09 AM.
    Lynn49, Shwa Girl and ticul like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Question: What is your garden claim to fame?

Answer: We plant it. We water it. We hope it grows. Those that work out well, we plant more. Those that don't work out well, then it's free compost.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Our lawns have always been my hubby's pride and joy....lush, green....just beautiful. As for our gardens, we have a whole flock of red tulips that pop up in the spring in the front, followed by my little collection of different lilies and lots of my Stargazer Lilies, edged with either pansies or alyssium (I love their scent).

On our deck, which sits on the ground, are pots of various flowers depending on my mood when we go shopping for plants, and I like those tall spikey ones in the middle of them...our little garden plot is mainly for tomatoes, lettuce and herbs, which I bring in and freeze so that I can have fresh basil and parsley all year. I cannot cook without fresh basil!

We've been gardening for over 40 years, some hits, some misses, and we've stuck with the tried and true and my hubby's pride over the years has been his Clematis vines, and for me, Stargazer Lilies have to be in abundance somewhere...omg, their exotic cinnamon scent just wafts through the house when I open our front window and one blossom is enough to scent our main area in the house...who needs artificial, toxic garbage smells?!!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I don't do very much gardening. DH has a green thumb and loves that kind of stuff so I leave it up to him.

I do help the kids out with their vegetable garden when need be. They love eating things they grew themselves.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I only have one thing to say to people around Vancouver.... cut your lawn TALL between May and August! You can cut it short the other months to minimize moss growth.

Because of chauffer beetles, I notice this winter many lawns are ruined by animals searching for grub. A tall lawn in the summer means less watering during water restrictions and a more difficult time for beetles to lay their eggs.
    http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/chafer.htm

If you hire a landscaper... fire them if they try to turn your lawn into a golf green height between May and August.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

... I have a tin can man in my front flower bed... he doesn't require watering...

As much as I would love to be able to have a great garden and flower beds, I don't seem to have the talent for it. I tried really hard to keep 1 hydrangea plant blooming and healthy last year and it didn't go so well. Will try again this year... if I can get that one plant to grow and look healthy I will be super happy.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    ... I have a tin can man in my front flower bed... he doesn't require watering...

As much as I would love to be able to have a great garden and flower beds, I don't seem to have the talent for it. I tried really hard to keep 1 hydrangea plant blooming and healthy last year and it didn't go so well. Will try again this year... if I can get that one plant to grow and look healthy I will be super happy.
    Two words, Beckie: day lilies....can't kill 'em!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love gardening! Flowers and veggies. My favorites are tropical- hibiscus, mandevilla, canna lilies. Adds a tropic splash. My other favorites are day, Asiatic lilies, wave petunias, geraniums, marigolds. I usually have a theme. Orange, red, yellow/golds together .Purple and yellow. Pink, white, purple. I have section or two of perennials (easier on the pocketbook). I grow tomatoes, onion, carrots, basil, chives, etc. My lawn is okay. I take care of it (cutting, watering) could be better though. The only part of gardening I dislike pulling weeds.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love gardens, grass not so much. I try to eliminate as much lawn as possible by planting more stuff
    Lynn49, toban, danger_dan and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

I love gardening, If I could I would do it all day long as it is so peaceful. I only have a small place for flowers and this year it will be all perenial in that are and a small tree in the middle. Than, I have many flowers pot that I make and some for my chives, basil and parsley. Some times I put flowers with them to and it looks so nice. Do not forget the tomatos as this is what I look for also as they are omg, so, sooooo gooooood. To me gardening is a good therapy session. Now that we talk about it, I want to do it now Thank you Danger than for doing the Qot of the day. I think it is an excellent idea as some time it make us think really heard............................................. ...

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Question: What is your garden claim to fame?

Answer: We plant it. We water it. We hope it grows. Those that work out well, we plant more. Those that don't work out well, then it's free compost.
    We wanted to do pots of veggies for this coming season. However, we have a new resident in the neighbourhood, which makes this iffy. It a rabbit.
    And we have seen him doing this move, with our raspberry leaves
    Name:  Rabbit-in-Peach-Tree.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  91.2 KB
    danger_dan and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    We wanted to do pots of veggies for this coming season. However, we have a new resident in the neighbourhood, which makes this iffy. It a rabbit.
    And we have seen him doing this move, with our raspberry leaves
    Name:  Rabbit-in-Peach-Tree.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  91.2 KB

Ohhhhh...how cute!! Rabbits gotta eat too, Hon....
    Shwa Girl and ticul like this.

Thread Information