User Tag List

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree5978Likes

Thread: Marching Forward with Frugality & with Savings 2015 frugal chatter

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quiet day today-DH and I just ran a couple of errands-now I need to think of something for dinner. Slowly starting to warm up here so Natalka hopefully the warm air will be headed your way in a day or two! DD and I leave for Hawaii in a couple of weeks while DH is staying home to work-he doesn't mind though. Even though this winter has been milder for us than last I am still tired of it! I think it is time to retire to a warmer climate!! I can dream.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Woke up late this morning. Should get out and do some things but I just can`t face the cold so I`ll stay home and crochet. That needs to be done too.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -ohh tired glad to have 2 days off fro watching "ashlyn" that doesn't sound good but i love her to pieces but its tiring
    -she Is so excited when I pick her up out of her crib at 7.15 this morning-she yells nana-nana nana then offers me a kiss
    she sleep 2 hours this afternoon-I I shovel my sons small driveway before it rained -to help them out
    I would think the shoveling is less tiring than Ashlyn. LO demands to be picked up less and is a little more understanding that Mama needs to wash her dishes before dinner gets started.

Yesterday, she lost her fleece mitten. I think she flung it off on the bus last night. We had rolling blackouts all through the evening, but I trekked out at 9:30 PM to see if I could find it before the snowplows buried it. I didn't see anything and I checked at the lost and found at the transit office today. Still nothing. I haven't given up hope yet, but her only other ones are wool mittens which will get soaked very quickly during outdoor play time and she'll have nothing for going home. Maybe I'll have to set up a loss fund in the budget for the future things she'll lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    re: Internet, cable, phone
    I switched last summer to Teksavvy for internet - I had been with Bell, but kept losing the signal. Until recently, my only options were Bell or Rogers, & I hate Rogers more than Bell (they double & triple billed me in the past). I also had had Bell Fibe, same deal, kept losing the signal while watching tv, so cancelled it altogether. I still have Bell for the landline - because I have so many health issues, I need a reliable phone & since Bell is the only one that worked during the big blackout, I'll pay the exorbitant fees.
    @Andit , might it be better for you to have a cellphone? When you switched internet from Bell to Teksavvy, did you have any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Haven't bought any groceries except for the free beans this week so my budget is looking great for the week, will need milk and I have a great Shoppers coupon for 2.75 for any 4 liters of milk so Shoppers it is later this afternoon!
    Goodness! I hope to have that offer someday!

DH set the traps again last night and there were no casualties this morning. Hopefully our mouse problem is over and I can spend this weekend disinfecting. I wonder if there's a business where you can rent a cat who can sniff out the best places to lay mouse traps. There should be! Our neighbourhood cat was a great mouser.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@sweet sparrow - You should set up a set amount to put aside in a separate account for clothing and/or child expenses (however you set your budget) I have one for "Boys Clothing" and put $ in it monthly so when they need stuff or I find a deal on clothing I don't ever have to worry if it's in the budget or not since the money is ready

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    @sweet sparrow- You should set up a set amount to put aside in a separate account for clothing and/or child expenses (however you set your budget) I have one for "Boys Clothing" and put $ in it monthly so when they need stuff or I find a deal on clothing I don't ever have to worry if it's in the budget or not since the money is ready
    I do have an old line item in my budget called baby expenses, though I should update it since she's technically not a baby anymore. Aww, she's moved into toddler territory. She also needs to stop growing so fast. She's already taller than some people's kids who are six month older.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes at that age they are growing so fast that you always need something. I have been lucky that my clothing account is growing as we had so much clothing ( I use to shop but smart!) so I went through the Rubbermaid bins and sorted what my youngest will use and have been selling the rest. I will be doing it again soon once Spring hits. And my dear sister bought my oldest new shoes in January and bought my youngest a pair too so he has those waiting for Spring

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Isn't it always the case that we buy for our kids when we should be buying for ourselves? I need clothes but spend on them all the time. I have been wearing the same dress pants for years- I really am finally starting to spend money on myself and can't wait to go Spring shopping for office clothes.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Isn't it always the case that we buy for our kids when we should be buying for ourselves? I need clothes but spend on them all the time. I have been wearing the same dress pants for years- I really am finally starting to spend money on myself and can't wait to go Spring shopping for office clothes.
    Ha ha! How old are your kids now that you're able to do that? Apart from my work clothes, my home/weekend clothes are probably about a decade old or more. Some of my work clothes are approaching the decade mark though. Funny, it was my biggest fear that I wouldn't be the same size post-pregnancy because I thought I'd never be able to afford a new wardrobe! I'm not really the same size, but I can still sort of mash and squish myself in, same as LO until she really grows out of her clothes. Poor thing. We're seeing friends this month, so fingers crossed, also seeing new clothes! Then the next new baby that comes along can rotate into the "collective closet". Each person that needs a new item (because everything else is out of season or loss) just adds to the pile.
    It's such a great system, but it breaks down when your kid catches up to everyone else in size or they have their own opinions on what's fashionable.

I'm not looking forward to the day when LO demands an Elsa dress (or equivalent)!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweet sparrow you are right "ashlyn" is a little more tiring than shovelling ,but I still have to be carefull as I have high blood pressure (on pills) and the heavy stuff cant do-as I ended up in hospital last year in January
    mind you I do have a odd tea break -she does amuse herself with her books while i drink my tea -it Is a long day thou 9 hour -oh well i will enjoy it til end of april or middle of may (then it all ends they will only need me 2or 3 days a month)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Well I did have to get rid of clothes the past few years because I lost weight so I did buy new dress pants a few years ago on sale and with a Save $10 wus $50 at Mark's. I also bought 5 tanks and 5 t-shirts as all my stuff was crap. I live in yoga pants on the weekends So I have been buying new ones since I figure I want to look nice when walking lol. And now when I buy new ones I buy size medium and won't ever buy size large again so that is my treat! But I really need new tanks and t-shirts so that is on the Spring list!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I did splurge the other day and found really nice yoga capris at Giant Tiger the other day for $8 each! A lady stopped me and said they were really nice and wanted to know where they were. Will take them with me on my trip so they were a vacation expense lol

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My oldest just turned 16 and he is just starting to want to go shopping for clothes. He was easy to please and we found some good deals. And then I found simple t-shirts at GT on for 4 for $10 and grabbed them and he loves them for under his uniform shirt. So it saves his other t-shirts for the weekend. It helps when they wear a uniform to school during the week (which they are very expensive too but I was lucky and was given his for free - Someone posted on a mom swap at Christmas so I took a change and a drive and they were in great condition (smoke free home!) and fit him perfect!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yeahhhhh just bbq hamburger's on the bb for hubby and I (its 0 degrees and we havent seen that in a month's time )p.c corn and scalloped potatoes-the corn was good too will buy it again
    -my daughter called me this afternoon on her afteroon break it was so nice to chat

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Quiet day today-DH and I just ran a couple of errands-now I need to think of something for dinner. Slowly starting to warm up here so Natalka hopefully the warm air will be headed your way in a day or two! DD and I leave for Hawaii in a couple of weeks while DH is staying home to work-he doesn't mind though. Even though this winter has been milder for us than last I am still tired of it! I think it is time to retire to a warmer climate!! I can dream.
    Glad to know the forecast is really true - to go from -30s to the predicted -2 by tomorrow. However, it's beautifully sunny out there!
    My sister and her husband are still in Hawaii and the pics they post are amazing. Their two girls were with them for a week there.

Turned out my husband was only called into work for just an hour, but he came back here and finished fixing the water heater, so YAY!
    And now my honey is washing dishes!

Just found out our niece from here will be doing her medical residency in London - she's very happy with that, and they are lucky to be getting her! Far, far from home here, though!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Dinner is cooking and almost done. Laundry sorted and ready to continue at 7 pm. Will have a quick shower once dinner is ready ( before I eat.). Then eat. Clean kitchen. Continue laundry. Prep food for tomorrow for breakfast and lunch.

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information