• 2 Post By hush
  • 3 Post By padyofurniture
  • 3 Post By hush
  • 4 Post By Durham Couponer
  • 2 Post By Durham Couponer
  • 4 Post By hush
  • 1 Post By momof3heathens
  • 3 Post By trishka

Thread: Ontario Landlord-Tenant Issue URGENT HELP NEEDED!!

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

This is a bit of reading, but I need answers!!
    I have lived in my apartment for 2 1/2 years, and my son in the upper apartment, our landlord is an older gentleman (89). We don't have a lease. To pay rent ($550 each apartment), my landlord stops by my work, we set a date for him to pick up rent and we've never had a problem. For February every year, he discounts our rent by $50 to help with the heating costs. He insists on cash not cheques, and always gives a receipt. Again, there has never been a problem.
    We haven't seen him to arrange February's rent and had assumed it was due to weather etc. 3 nights ago, our neighbour came down and let us know that Joe was in the hospital, that she had been talking to his daughter Misty. We know that he has a daughter, Misty, and a son, Nathan.
    2 nights ago, at 8:30, a woman was banging on my door. When I opened it, she said she was Joe's daughter, Penny, and she was there to pick up February's rent. I've never heard of her, she didn't show me ID or give me contact information. I told her that I've only heard of Misty and she replied "that's the other daughter". She then went on to demand the rent again, and say that she didn't know what kind of arrangement we have with Joe. I explained that he stops by, we arrange a date and pay. She said "That doesn't work for me, I'm here for it now and I want postdated cheques so I don't have to come by every month until my dad is better and can do it himself". I explained that neither apartment has cheques, that they would have to be ordered and that takes time. She said "that's not convenient for me, I have a job"
    I have 2 jobs, so I am not about to jump around for some woman I don't know, and I'm most certainly not giving her cash.
    Before she left, she told me she'd be here again Saturday right at 5 to collect rent and postdated cheques. She seemed very mad that I didn't give her money! While I was at my second job on Saturday, I had left my email address (for her to communicate with me, so everything was in print) with my son and my husband. She banged on my sons door and left before he could answer it. At some point, she had taped a note addressed to only me on my door stating that she was here at the arranged time, and that she'd "be back on Monday at 6:30 expecting $2200 for Feb/March rent". Still no contact information.
    My questions:
    1-Does she need to provide ID?
    2-Does she need to provide proof that she is now the agent of my landlord?
    3-Can she make demands that change the agreement with my landlord?
    Again, I've never heard of her, and for all I know, she's some random person who happened to overhear something and is trying to scam me/my landlord or even still, COULD be his daughter, but might be the outcast and is just being greedy while Joe is in the hospital. HELP!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO and terry2144 like this.
    If you can't change something, change the way you think about it!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Maybe arrange to meet at the hospital. I would definitely want to know who I was giving money to as your lease is only a "gentleman's agreement."
    Revenue Canada might like to hear about it if things go really sour.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I'm not sure what shape Joe is in though.. His legitimate daughter told my neighbour that he has bone cancer, pneumonia and his white blood cell count is "wonky". I don't want to stress him out either way.. I did find it odd that Penny said he would be getting better... he's 89...
    I have absolutely no way of getting a hold of her. I had asked for a phone number, but she just talked right over me saying that this was inconvenient for her. She didn't wait for anyone to answer either door so they could give her my email either.
    Last edited by hush; Sat, Feb 28th, 2015 at 10:48 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Call the landlord and tenant board NOW. It doesn't matter that you don't have a lease because you're month to month. Get a money order from Money Mart for Joe tomorrow, in his name, if your bank isn't open. I strongly recommend that you don't give cash for rent, even to family, because you rent from Joe not his kids. Until there is legal paperwork saying otherwise cover your posterior just in case. And call the Tribunal right now.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ROMEO and terry2144 like this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    Call the landlord and tenant board NOW. It doesn't matter that you don't have a lease because you're month to month. Get a money order from Money Mart for Joe tomorrow, in his name, if your bank isn't open. I strongly recommend that you don't give cash for rent, even to family, because you rent from Joe not his kids. Until there is legal paperwork saying otherwise cover your posterior just in case. And call the Tribunal right now.

Thank you for your advice. I will have to wait until Monday to do any of that, I run a very busy restaurant, and have a meeting afterwards.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Inquiring minds aka nosy me needs an update.

Hope things are ok though.
    Durham Couponer likes this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Personally, I would not give her anything. I would say to her, unless I see documentation, sign, by your father, that, you are suppose to pick up rent money and will be the "new land lord" until he get's better, then, I am not giving you anything.

Also, I know you guys have done it this way with this gentalman for some time, but, after he get's better, I would ask him for some type of paper work/contract stating how much the rent is, when it is due, how it is paid (cash, cheque etc) AND if he is unable to receive it due to medical/family emergency etc, the person who would be the one to receive the money and who would be acting as the "landlord" for that time.

This person is 89 years old (God bless him) but, we do not live forever. AND you need to protect yourself.

Hope everything works out!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I second the call to the landlord and tenant board. And don't give her anything, especially cash. Until she produces some sort of documentation that indicates that either she is acting as an agent (signed by your landlord) or some form of power of attorney in the event that he is not capable of signing this, don't provide her with anything. She is not your landlord. Your agreement is not with her, it is with her father and until you have documentation that she is acting on behalf of her father, she is not entitled to anything. You do have to keep paying your rent, but ensure it is going to the correct place/person. Until you start dealing directly with your landlord, I would pay via cheque or money order and ensure you have a receipt, signed by the individual who received your payment.

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Key_Info...02_111384.html

I would take a look at this link. Contact one of the organizations in your area to at least get some guidance on this, if the LTB itself is not helpful for you. Can you maybe speak to the neighbour who was in contact with Misty seeing as you know of a Misty.

Thread Information