User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: UPDATE - Fired over Pick & Pay TV Packages by 2016 -- Bad for Bell

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    At $25 per month, we can, and do, buy more DVD sets than we watch in that month. And we don't have to put up with those annoyances that they call commercials.

I personally don't see the attraction to cable, or satellite for that matter.
    You are probably right. Waiting for the DVD is a better deal.
    Some want to see the next episode of their favourite show, right away.

We noticed that between December and February, favourite shows were on a break. So paying for cable was not too reasonable. Plus there is a price increase this month. And another coming later this year, if 2015 was any indication.

Funny thing -- even though we have suspended our cable temporarily, there are FREE previews going on. So we are watching History channel, Cosmo TV, Hollywood movies (January) and CTV Atlantic stations, without paying. Because they are free preview or free stations.
    Angela273, Ciel and toronto166 like this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    You are probably right. Waiting for the DVD is a better deal.
    Some want to see the next episode of their favourite show, right away.
    This right here is the root of the problem as to why many people cannot seem to get ahead financially. To paraphrase the immortal Yogi Berra "frugality is 90 percent mental, and the other half is budgeting".

Too often, frugality is seen as "doing without" or "denying yourself". In my experience, any attempts at frugality with this mindset is absolutely doomed to failure from the get go.

I prefer to set the whole thing on its head and view the entire process of frugality as the process by which I can enjoy my money more, not less. By making money go further, a fixed amount of money can, and will, generate more enjoyment.

As good little consumers, we have been trained to expect everything now, because "we deserve it" and "we have earned it". To quote my wife's late grandfather, "the sun comes up for free, everything else you earn".

Patience is a virtue. The latest episodes of shows will be just as funny next year as they are this year, and they will cost far less. Go back more than one year, and there are genuine bargains to be had.

I realize that taste in TV shows vary greatly, but over the last year I have been able to buy the entire set nine seasons of Matlock for $65, individual seasons of CSI and House for $5 (US) and so on. And after viewing, the episodes, unlike cable, are still there. We trade around in the family, so these shows get to be enjoyed more than once, thereby becoming even cheaper. Not to mention, you can revisit your favourite episodes time and time again.

Another reason to watch retro TV is that there is still more bang for the buck. My wife likes "Bewitched", so we picked up the entire set (8 seasons of 30-some episodes each for $24 total). Those episodes are 25 to 27 minutes long. Contrast that with modern series like "Big Bang Theory" where a long episode is 18 minutes long, with one minute taken up with an intro. That's not a show, that's an intermission. I happen to enjoy BBT, but the episodes are laughably short. MASH, That 70's Show, NYPD Blue, Monk, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Jeanie, Bob Newhart, Numb3ers, Dr. Quinn, Due South, King of the Hill - all great shows that we have been able to pick up brand new for $5 to $10 per season. And there are very many clever shows, like Barney Miller and Night Court, that we have not picked up on sale just due to the backlog of shows that we have already.

And then there is the fact that a good 90% of the time that I am at my mother's place, she has the TV on "for the noise", and always on the channel guide. I am stunned at how little there is to watch. With our plan, we know that 100% of the time we can pop something in the player that we want to watch. If I am going to waste time watching TV, it had better be something that I want to see.

Even the search for cheap TV can replace some of the watching of TV. I get a great kick out of looking at Amazon, eBay or even bargain boards looking for cheap TV. This is often as enjoyable for me as watching the shows. I just have to know when to say "whoa", and stop buying. I had not bought anything for a couple of years until late last year that we started getting to the end of a few of our shows.

And of course, if you live in a larger city, the local library can have seasons of your favourite shows available for free. This does not work for us, being out in the boonies, but it may work for others.

In short, I say "phoooie" to $25 per month TV. I probably average under $10 per month for far, far superior TV.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

We cut our cable a month ago and I can honestly say that we haven't missed it - we stream what we want over the internet and watch it on the TVs. The best part is we save $70 month!!
    Angela273, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Bell should announce their pick and pay TV package on February 21.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Here is a link to Shaw TV's $25 plan
    http://www.shaw.ca/television/limited-tv/

Limited TV
    $25.00/MO
    HD Box - Rental
    $5.00/MO

Last edited by Shwa Girl; Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:18 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Shaw $25 + $5 box = $30 channels include
    CITY TV
    CBC
    CTV
    PBS
    ABC
    NBC
    Global TV
    OMNI
    FOX
    Weather Network

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Bell should announce their pick and pay TV package on February 21.
    I called yesterday and was told to call back like you posted on February 21st (skinny package) so I'll check the website Monday am.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I so miss the Weather Network. Sometimes I'll listen to the clips on the website when I am looking at forecasts. PBS is another missed station (don't get it over the air).
    Does the Shaw package include Radio-Canada/RDI or TV5? I'm in Cogeco-land.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I so miss the Weather Network. Sometimes I'll listen to the clips on the website when I am looking at forecasts. PBS is another missed station (don't get it over the air).
    Do you use Kodi at all? It has a PBS station, and you can watch on your own schedule. CBC as well. And many many others legally, some others in a more gray area. I believe that PBS and CBC are both totally legal though.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    @Ciel , yes, The Weather Network and PBS is included.
    Scroll to the bottom of this link for their Limited Package and choose all for the TV channels available.
    http://www.shaw.ca/television/plans/...s-all-nonshaw#
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, Feb 21st, 2016 at 02:31 PM.
    Angela273 and toronto166 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Shaw $25 + $5 box = $30 channels include
    CITY TV
    CBC
    CTV
    PBS
    ABC
    NBC
    Global TV
    OMNI
    FOX
    Weather Network
    I get the bold channels ( From above ) + 2 other US channels ( not listed above ) , just form an INDOOR Terk TV antenna . The picture is HDTV and crystal clear. So ZERO cost for me

I bet if I put an outdoor antenna, I will probably get the other channels too like ABC, NBC, FOX & maybe CBS - the 4 US Networks for FREE to on OTA , Over The Air antenna.

Rogers, Bell & Shaw are basically charging you for channels in their basic package, which are FREE any ways with just a TV antenna. I can understand if people need speciality channels like Movie channels, Sports channels etc going for Cable. But for regular FREE network TV ( both US & Canada ) , there is NO need for Cable.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I get the bold channels ( From above ) + 2 other US channels ( not listed above ) , just form an INDOOR Terk TV antenna . The picture is HDTV and crystal clear. So ZERO cost for me

I bet if I put an outdoor antenna, I will probably get the other channels too like ABC, NBC, FOX & maybe CBS - the 4 US Networks for FREE to on OTA , Over The Air antenna.

Rogers, Bell & Shaw are basically charging you for channels in their basic package, which are FREE any ways with just a TV antenna. I can understand if people need speciality channels like Movie channels, Sports channels etc going for Cable. But for regular FREE network TV ( both US & Canada ) , there is NO need for Cable.
    The amount and quality of free ota channels completely depends on where you live. It is next to impossible to get any free channels in SK, from my personal experience.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    Do you use Kodi at all? It has a PBS station, and you can watch on your own schedule. CBC as well. And many many others legally, some others in a more gray area. I believe that PBS and CBC are both totally legal though.
    No to Kodi. Have the digital antenna box/pad on window setup. We get the French Toronto CBC station so some RDI programs show up on that station (I only know about three programs' schedules). OMNI is hard to get on screen most times as signal is weak; CityTV signal is not consistent on weekends but works on and off during weekdays. No PBS, so library DVD sets of PBS programs are coming in use at home. Since the ABC channel 7 sometimes works, we can find out NY state's weather and news. CFTO (CTV's Toronto station) comes in on 9-1 but not CKCO (Kitchener-13). CHCH and TVO (two channels of same content) plus Global on 6-1 and 41-1.
    Angela273 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Is there a law in Canada that they should/must broadcast for FREE over the air network channels like CBC, CTV, Global, City TV, OmNI, TVO etc ? I am not sure

I think for CBC, TVO ( ON funded ) there must be as they are tax payer funded.

someone was telling me in US channels i.e network national TV like NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX need to be distributed over the air for FREE even though they are privately owned. Not sure how true this sis.
    toronto166 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I jus have a regular High Speed unlimited DSL internet from Distributel. I pay only 40 bucks a month tax inclusive.

its not one of those ultra fast high speed you get thesedays, so I don't use Kodi, Netflix etc as I find a lag or buffering issues. So although mine is unlimited and high speed, I stay away from TV over the internet and streaming stuff.
    toronto166 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information