User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Please don't buy those "green bags"!!! Use the free ones in your home now!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I never knew that those green bags had the same preservative as a cereal bag does. I thought that the green bag has natural preservative not the BHA that is used in cereal bags.

Personally, now that I know that BHA is used for both the cereal and green bag, I think I will pass.........

The amounts that can be consumed from eating cereals pose a very slim risk for humans and has been certified as Kosher and Halal. Amof, pathologists at New York Medical College found that BHT prevented liver cancer in lab animals.....ans since it's used to prevent fats from becoming rancid, grain cereals absorb very little. I'm personally more frightened by the aerosols, sprays and candles that are manufactured to make our homes smell "pretty". But each of us is free to make our own decisions...I don't know if "organic" cereals have BHT in their packaging, but it may be worth looking into.

http://www.bodybio.com/content.aspx?page=BHT-cereal
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sun, Mar 22nd, 2015 at 08:11 PM.
    macw1960 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

People keep bacon in their fridge long enough for it to lose its freshness? Not my family!
    Natalka, Lynn49, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Growing up I hated when my father would pack my lunch when I was a young kid because he would always pack my sandwich in the bread bag. Now I get it! lol I am frugal like him for sure. (miss him )
    Natalka, Lynn49, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I cringe at the thought of all those cereal bags I threw out over the years - it never occurred to me to re-use them!
    Glad I stumbled upon this thread - freshness here I come
    Lynn49, macw1960 and walkonby like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you for the tip! I think about all the bags I tossed out and it makes me cringe!
    macw1960 and BC Gal like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I think of all the money I`ve spent on Tupperware in the last 40 years.
    Lynn49 and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by dahliagrower View Post
    News for me too! never thought about reusing cereal bags to keep food fresh -- but will definitely start.

Question for you though .... here in Victoria (as probably in many other places in Canada) ... we now have to separate out our garbage so that any kitchen/food waste goes into a separate bucket. Well the small bags for the kitchen waste containers costs a fortune ... about $3-$5 for a pack of 20 ..... For us that holds about 3-4 days of kitchen waste.

The bags have to be compostable - so that's either the specialty ones or paper bags. Paper bags just become a soggy mess. Do cereal bags break down? Any other options that you know of?
    If you get a dollar store strainer and let everything sit in the sink for a while before putting it in the paper bag then green bin it helps. The bags will need to go out once every day or two though or they'll soak through. We keep a paper egg tray lid under the bags to catch any broken or leaking bags.

Some freeze their organics in a tub until recycling day, but they must not be couponers because who here has room in their freezer?

I never thought about using cereal bags as green bags. I got a back of Debbie's bags at a home/bath store, and they don't work.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I tried this with sliced button mushrooms. They lasted an entire week without getting brown spots!
    Thanks so much for this tip- I'm going to start collecting these from now on. No more wasting produce!!!
    Lynn49, macw1960, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is absolute gold advice! Who knew green bags had the same preservatives as a cereal bags do...

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Thanks Lynn49! I never knew but will be reusing my cereal bags from now on

One thing I do is remove lettuce form bags, wash it off, and wrap it in linen tea towels. They are towels I got from my grandma years ago that don't give off threads and they seem to keep the lettuce much fresher than in the bags or just loose in the crisper.
    Natalka, Lynn49, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    People keep bacon in their fridge long enough for it to lose its freshness? Not my family!

Not here either.
    Natalka likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Are bags from crackers such as Ritz the same?

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information