• 1 Post By Colsgirl
  • 2 Post By Midnightly
  • 2 Post By tjthemanto
  • 1 Post By tjthemanto

Thread: Historical Interest Rates Data

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Does anyone know if there is a website where you can look up historical interest rate data for the major financial institutions?

TIA
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    macw1960 likes this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

not sure is this is what you're looking for but this is for cibc. prime interest rates going back to 1974.

http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/PT/bcm/ref/...ricalPrime.pdf
    Colsgirl and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Thank you!
    macw1960 likes this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not sure what you are looking for. . .but a lot of economists believe we won't see a pattern by looking at the past statistics. They say because the world is so much more closely connected to each other's economies that past statistics are at least unlikely to be relied upon.
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I was just wanting to look up some figures after a conversation a few of us had at work today. It seemed like most of us have fixed rate and we were comparing the rates from when we locked in, to those in the office who have a variable rate. We have a lot of statisticians in the office who love data!!
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i woulda hate to have a mortgage in the 80's!
    macw1960 and shopperwho like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Colsgirl View Post
    I was just wanting to look up some figures after a conversation a few of us had at work today. It seemed like most of us have fixed rate and we were comparing the rates from when we locked in, to those in the office who have a variable rate. We have a lot of statisticians in the office who love data!!
    Lot of the rates you will see in the historical table will be the posted rates of the banks , which are often quite high. Most people get a discounted rate, which will be much lower.

Like BMO has a 2.79 % fixed rate for 5 yr right now . Its a special rate with some terms & conditions ..but their regular 4.74 % rate for 5 yr MTG, will probably show up in those historical tables..so huge 2 % difference between the 2 rates .

http://www.bmo.com/main/personal/mor...mortgage-rates

The special rate is good..if you are not going to break the MTG or port your MTG anytime soon ..as the penalties are usually higher.
    Colsgirl and macw1960 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i woulda hate to have a mortgage in the 80's!
    But the house prices were much much lower then .. even if you consider inflation.

Also the interest you got on your savings account , chequing account , investments was much higher.

Todays low rates & low downpayment requirement, have enabled some people to buy houses they can't even afford ..they just don't have the salaries for that.
    A slight increase in rates is going to the end the party soon
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Lot of the rates you will see in the historical table will be the posted rates of the banks , which are often quite high. Most people get a discounted rate, which will be much lower.

Like BMO has a 2.79 % fixed rate for 5 yr right now . Its a special rate with some terms & conditions ..but their regular 4.74 % rate for 5 yr MTG, will probably show up in those historical tables..so huge 2 % difference between the 2 rates .

The special rate is good..if you are not going to break the MTG or port your MTG anytime soon ..as the penalties are usually higher.
    Do you work in my office? lol that was part of the conversation the difference between the published rate and what you can actually get if you ask them!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post

Not to disagree, but 2.79 is actually not a good rate. BMO got a pretty good "roasting" in financial circles when they posted this Big "special". They going best rate amongst many lenders at the moment is either 2.59 or 2.69%
    So when BMO made this big announcement, they received some serious mocking in financial circles. I was actually quite surprised myself. BMO isn't usually so far off base. . . ?

Also you made an excellent point TJ. The posted rate is a bit of an elusive comparison because many customers would have had any variety of discounts for that rate.

Thread Information