User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Walmart changes Shipping Charges

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Sad email this morning from Walmart. It was good while it lasted but I had a feeling it was going to change.
    Update to Home Shipping Charges

First, I would like to thank you for being a Walmart.ca customer. In the 3 1/2 years since our launch, we have shipped millions of items to customers at their homes and at pickup locations across Canada in an effort to save Canadians time and money. One of our pillars has been free standard home shipping to most places in Canada, but in a few days we will make some changes to our home shipping charges to ensure we can continue to give you great service and everyday low prices on items your family wants or needs.

Later this week we will introduce a $50 threshold for free standard shipping on home delivery, excluding remote areas in Canada. Once you reach this threshold, you will qualify for free standard shipping orders on home delivery on everything, except large and oversized items. Any purchases under this threshold will cost $4.97 for standard shipping to your home. We will still offer free shipping to a pickup location, regardless of how much you spend, at more than 5,000 Canada Post locations across the country and Grab & Go lockers if you’re in the Greater Toronto Area. We are always focused on giving you the best value when it comes to shipping, and we believe this is still one of the best values in eCommerce in Canada while allowing us to drive savings in our operations to pass on to you.

Again, thank you for being a customer. If you would like any additional information on our new home shipping charges, please click here.

Simon Rodrigue
    SVP eCommerce, Walmart Canada
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Walmart

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh well, it was a good ride while it lasted! thanks for posting
    ticul likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I've just received that email too! I'm not surprised, it must cost them a lot out of pocket to pay for shipping.

It says coming into effect later this week so if anyone is considering ordering something, NOW would be the time to do it!
    ticul likes this.
    Built Bars 15% off sitewide, free shipping when you spend $25. User the code LOUISE2020 to get another 10%

PC Insiders please use my code LR1507 you get $25 and I get $10 in points

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good things don't last. Meanwhile, during the 3½ years of Walmart's free shipping program, a lot of small businesses were forced to shut down. When you're up against a big box store, the little competitors don't stand a chance.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Right on the heels of Target's last days in Canada...I can't help but wonder if this would be the case if Target wasn't leaving.

But I agree with previous posters: It was a nice freebie while it lasted. I've had free shipping on $1, $2, $3 items...I don't think any profit was made there.
    Last edited by dizzyb; Mon, Mar 30th, 2015 at 12:03 PM.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Target goes out of business.

Future Shop closes down ( some converted to BB )

Now Wal Mart is showing their true colours..( Not that they were much better earlier )

Not much competition left , so they are now free to do pretty much what they want ..both online & in store.

Coincidence Much ?? ..Target exit round the corner ..& now this $ 50 minimum for shipping ?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cookoo View Post
    Good things don't last. Meanwhile, during the 3½ years of Walmart's free shipping program, a lot of small businesses were forced to shut down. When you're up against a big box store, the little competitors don't stand a chance.
    Yup ..they have deep pockets ..initially they absorb the losses & put local competition out of business, as they just can't lose money like WM .

After the competition has gone belly up , WM jacks up their prices & policies

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Yup ..they have deep pockets ..initially they absorb the losses & put local competition out of business, as they just can't lose money like WM .

After the competition has gone belly up , WM jacks up their prices & policies
    Good point....makes perfect sense. I didn't see how Wal-Mart could continue to offer free shipping anyway. I wonder if this will encourage Well.ca to increase its shipping threshold again.
    bargain_hunter_lola and ticul like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    oh well, it was a good ride while it lasted! thanks for posting
    Canada Post might lose hundreds of orders now. The amount of business they got from WM in the last 3.5 yrs was incredible.

As people will order less from WM.ca now & multiple orders will be combined into one ..so less business for CP.

I knew people who used to order a box of cookies or just a few cans of soup or a bag of chips..was never environmental friendly , but neverthless it meant business for CP ..now they will just head to a WM or a local store instead.

I rarely ordered more than $ 50 + from WM ..it always used to be 20-30 bucks, that too only due to the free shipping..now I won't bother with that.

I must have had atleast 50 shipments from them in the last 2-3 years , all via Canada Post , and all below $ 50 , now probably none from me . CP probably made more on these than WM themselves ..ha ha
    Last edited by tjthemanto; Mon, Mar 30th, 2015 at 02:02 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We will still offer free shipping to a pickup location, regardless of how much you spend, at more than 5,000 Canada Post locations across the country and Grab & Go lockers if you’re in the Greater Toronto Area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Shoppers Drug Mart with a Canada Post location just 5 minutes walk from my house.

The closest Wal Mart is a 20 minute drive - so 40 minutes drive both ways. Plus finding the parking, wasting time , gas , money, dealing with scratches & dents in the parking lot from other cars & shopping carts etc.

Does this mean, I can order less than $ 50 from WM , and have it delivered for FREE , to this SDM - Canada Post location ? I go there once a week or so anyways , just to buy some milk, eggs , bread etc

Not much difference for me if they deliver it to my house or this CP location , as its only 5 mins walk for me ..as long as its FREE

There are probably 3-4 SDM locations in close vicinity to me
    walkonby, Judyhill, ticul and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Not surprised at all. Any order I've placed through them that has had multiple items has always been shipped in seperate packages, either a few hours apart or the next day. At Christmas I ordered 12 packages of spices totalling 17xx. 10 were shipped express post seperately within 4 days, the other 2 were cancelled and then shipped express post seperately a few weeks later(and I was never even charged for them).
    I don't think this has anything to do with Target leaving, Walmart was just losing way too much money on shipping.
    ticul likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I am surprised they didn't go with Amazon's - $ 25 Free shipping threshold.

Does that mean Amazon will jack it up to $ 50 too in Canada ? ..Talk about competition in Canada
    bargain_hunter_lola and ticul like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I hope peopel don't buy multiple items just to get FREE shipping & go over the threshold .

And then return some of the items back for refund , when they are going that side anyways & have a WM on the way

Sometimes there is a sale item , & you can't make it to the store this week ..& if you go next week the sale is over or its OOS in store . So people might buy multiple of them to get Free shipping & the sale price. And then return some next week in the store , so clogging up the return exchange lines

Also when people buy multiple of items they don't want , it goes OOS online quickly & others who really want to buy it can't get any stock
    Judyhill and ticul like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Grab & Go location at WM , if you are NOT familiar with it , as only some stores have it ..( see link below )

Its pretty much at the entrance of the store, just after the cash registers. You enter a six digit code , and the box pops open. I guess its good if your store is OOS . The WM staff doesn't help you much anyways, better to pick it from the Grab & Go , then stand in their ridiculous long cash lines & talk to their unhelpful & rude staff . I went to WM today & they had 3 tills open , out of the 20 tills they have..& lot of staff near cash just standing around & chatting with each other..lol

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-st...-service-44144

Also now if you order online it gives you a few CP locations to pick up your order for free , based on your postal code & addy . You can choose which one you want. Try it

So I guess not that bad after all .
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I hope peopel don't buy multiple items just to get FREE shipping & go over the threshold .

And then return some of the items back for refund , when they are going that side anyways & have a WM on the way

Sometimes there is a sale item , & you can't make it to the store this week ..& if you go next week the sale is over or its OOS in store . So people might buy multiple of them to get Free shipping & the sale price. And then return some next week in the store , so clogging up the return exchange lines

Also when people buy multiple of items they don't want , it goes OOS online quickly & others who really want to buy it can't get any stock
    Why? This is what people do everywhere. I don't see this as a big concern.
    Colsgirl, hijinx25, ticul and 1 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information