User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 1 Post By matty's mom
  • 1 Post By LadyTlfrd

Thread: Prenatal vitamins

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Hello to all the mommies out there, I need some advice. I'm planning to get pregnant this year and have been searching for prenatal vitamins. I read women should take them at least 3 mths before pregnancy (according to government of Canada) and they can make you sick in the stomach so they are recommended to take with food or before bed. I do have a "weak" stomach and slightly lactose intolerant. I have not taken any prenatal vitamins yet but actively searching for the right brand and found two:
    - Centrum prenatal vitamins with DHA
    - Jamieson prenatal vitamins with DHA

My family doctor said it does not matter which brand I choose. But I'd like to hear from you guys. I know each person is different. These prenatal vitamins are not cheap so I'd like to narrow down my choices further. I do have coupons to stack for Centrum (total $12) and only $3 for Jamieson. I do not mind paying more if it's the better choice.

I welcome all other recommendations. Many thanks in advance.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We didn't really know until our doctor said "surprise" and at that point, he prescribed folic acid (tiny tablets) and a prescription prenatal vitamin called preg-vit (pink and blue with bears). I think that's the name anyways. After my health plan, it came out cheaper than the over the counter ones. If you have a Sobeys nearby, they give out free prenatal vitamins for two or three years. My doctor said there are slight variations but no noticable difference, mostly branding and manufacturer costs to print the package, etc.

Ditto on weak stomach and lactose intolerance here. I just ate a lot of dry toast and crackers to hold it down. The prenatals are all monster sized tablets.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Tue, Mar 31st, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
    Purdee and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Thanks sweet sparrow. I checked with my local Sobeys and the lady was so nice. All I have to do is register with their healthy baby plan.

I too have a problem with large tablets and pills.
    Last edited by Purdee; Tue, Mar 31st, 2015 at 10:45 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    Thanks sweet sparrow. I'll checked with my local Sobeys and the lady was so nice. All I have to do is register with their healthy baby plan.

I too have a problem with large tablets and pills.
    I have been taking the prenatal vitamins from the Sobeys Baby Be Healthy program for years. I have been taking them since 2011, when we first started trying for our now 2.5yr old son. I kept taking the prenatal vitamins through their program while nursing LO until 18 months and haven't stopped since. I am now pregnant with twins and still take the vitamin. It is best to take the vitamin later in the day in order to not bother your stomach and possible morning sickness. Although I do agree that prenatal vitamins are a large vitamin to swallow.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Thank you Angela. So glad to hear that you're on this program with Sobeys. I sure feel lucky to be living in Canada.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

What a great plan! Did not know about Sobey's. Will have to tell some of the expectant Moms that I work with.

When I started trying to get pregnant, I was 38 yrs old. I was in great shape, and my blood work showed that everything was fine. My doctor was only concerned about my iron and folic acid, so I took whatever vitamin was on sale that met her requirements for me. My 8 month morning sickness was so bad, that she didn't care what form it was. It more about what stayed down easier. I ended up taking a standard regular vitamin. But I should say, that I am a whole food, organic fruit and veggie eater so maybe that had something to do with it.

My point is not to worry too much about which one to take if you are just starting, your body may make the decision for you. And that is just fine. The body has a way of knowing what it needs and producing fabulous little beings, and it is an awesome miracle.
    Purdee likes this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Costco Kirkland prenatals are the same as Materna Centrum if you compare the ingredients, but cheaper and you get 2 boxes of 300 counts each. I took them before getting pregnant and still took them while breastfeeding. I'm not sure if the twin pack was a promo, but I think with Maternal you only get 100.

http://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signat...100097099.html
    Last edited by Jina; Mon, Apr 6th, 2015 at 10:30 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the best vitamins for women who are planning to have babies is MATERNA
    I started to take it 3 months before I got pregnant and I planning to take even during breastfeeding

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I took Materna prenatal vitamins with all 3 pregnancies as well as folic acid. With my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, I suffered from morning (actually all day) sickness from the time I got pregnant to almost the day my daughters were born. It was so bad my doctor prescribed Diclectin. This was the only anti-nausea at the time that was safe for pregnant women to take.
    Purdee likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I took Materna as well, 11+ years ago, and I only started taking them at ~5 months pregnant (denial is a powerful thing, okay?). My daughter was (and still is) incredibly healthy, I barely had morning sickness. My doctor did prescribe me additional iron pills, but I had been anemic beforehand as well so that helped a lot with the tiredness.
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

thank you ladies for sharing. For those who are interested for an update. I have been taking the free prenatal vitamins from Sobeys. Only certain Sobeys location in my city have pharmacy but the staff are always friendly and I never had to wait too long - I mean 15 minutes at the most!

When I first signed up I also received a satchel or bag with a small bag of Huggies new born diapers and some information brochures.

It was difficult for me to swallow the big vitamin pills but it took a few months and now i don't have too much of an issue swallowing them.
    Last edited by Purdee; Mon, Sep 14th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would recommend PregVit. It's usually covered by private insurance and you take one pill in the morning (with calcium) and one in the evening (with iron). You shouldn't take calcium and iron together so I like how this one is taken separately.

Thread Information