User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The Salary You Need to Buy a Home in Cities Across Canada - Good Info

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You are right TJ. Hamilton is one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) growing in real estate sales.
    Barrie is similar. Oshawa and Ajax also for those that work in the east end of Toronto.
    ROMEO, tjthemanto and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    Sad thing is that renting ain't cheap either! You want to rent a condo that is 500-600ish sqft that will cost you $1000-1400 /month and that's in Langley which is 45 min - hour away from Vancouver. Scary!
    Wow.

I heard from a classmate, who was selling her place, tell me that a lot of strata don't allow renting.

my friend got lucky and found a place to rent for 1k/month. I don't know the size of the place but for a 2 bed room it seems decent.

My boyfriend predicts he'll have a hard time selling his condo.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xbbx View Post
    Wow.

I heard from a classmate, who was selling her place, tell me that a lot of strata don't allow renting.

my friend got lucky and found a place to rent for 1k/month. I don't know the size of the place but for a 2 bed room it seems decent.

My boyfriend predicts he'll have a hard time selling his condo.
    Yes , I have a friend in BC ..who owns a townhouse ..he wants to rent it , but he can't as his complex doesn't allow renting .

I think there is some hardship clause, under which he can rent under extreme circimstances ..but he doesn't qualify for that.

But usually condos ( In Buildings ) don't have this NO renting clause..but lot of townhouse condos/complexes seem to have it .
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    You are right TJ. Hamilton is one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) growing in real estate sales.
    Barrie is similar. Oshawa and Ajax also for those that work in the east end of Toronto.
    Barrie is a nice place ..except for the snow as it comes under the snow belt & gets lot of lake effect snow. But in summer you can have beautiful lakes & even beaches

Its not that far from Toronto, but I was surprised, how much snow it gets..probably twice as much as Toronto.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You may be surprised to hear the last few years, Toronto and Barrie had similar amounts. But Barrie tends to "hold on" to it longer as it's aprox. 2 or 3 degrees colder. But some people prefer white to slush.
    ROMEO and Shwa Girl like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Barrie is getting like Toronto that's why I had to get out of there. Donut shops and $ stores. Took forever to get anywhere.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Yes , I have a friend in BC ..who owns a townhouse ..he wants to rent it , but he can't as his complex doesn't allow renting .

I think there is some hardship clause, under which he can rent under extreme circimstances ..but he doesn't qualify for that.

But usually condos ( In Buildings ) don't have this NO renting clause..but lot of townhouse condos/complexes seem to have it .
    New construction condo and townhomes are allowed rentals. Their is a law in place that doesn't allow Stratas to impose a no rental rule. Now once strata is formed they can limit the number of rentals allowed.

When DH and I sold our condo we sold quickly (2weeks on the market at Christmas time) but since our strata didn't allow rentals we couldn't rent or sell to an investor which would have meant our place would have sold in a few hours (we had an amazing realtor with a lot of connections) and all this even after the crash.

I think condos sell better since they are lower $$$ than houses.

This house is 988sqft 2bd 1bath that is listed at $468,880 and is facing pacific hwy (very busy road) and is currently renting for $1200/month!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  39.8 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  27.8 KB
    Last edited by harbie; Thu, Apr 23rd, 2015 at 01:34 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Barrie is getting like Toronto that's why I had to get out of there. Donut shops and $ stores. Took forever to get anywhere.
    ​I hear ya. . . once a street get's more than 2 traffic lights, it's time to move on! Lol

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Apparently, housing costs are all your parents' fault:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...ding-wars.html

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

You may be surprised to hear the last few years, Toronto and Barrie had similar amounts. But Barrie tends to "hold on" to it longer as it's aprox. 2 or 3 degrees colder. But some people prefer white to slush.
    I think its more windy in Barrie as its more open than Toronto, so you get more blowing snow and more whiteout conditions. The snow already on the ground tends to blow from one side to another and vice versa due to the high winds.

That's why lot of times on highway 400 in Barrie there are more whiteouts and slick conditions than say 401 in Toronto.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

many people living in Oshawa and Ajax work in Toronto and Mississauga
    prices in Ajax and The Shwa going up and hwy 401 expanding to 12 lanes between Whitby and Oshawa. Highway 407 toll high way construction is well on it's way, up to Oshawa and hwy 35/115 (Peterborough & Lindsay way)
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sat, Apr 25th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I think its more windy in Barrie as its more open than Toronto, so you get more blowing snow and more whiteout conditions. The snow already on the ground tends to blow from one side to another and vice versa due to the high winds.

That's why lot of times on highway 400 in Barrie there are more whiteouts and slick conditions than say 401 in Toronto.
    ​For sure it is. More open space by far. Guess that's the attraction for most people. Bigger house. . .bigger yard. . . bigger drive. . .bigger wind.
    ROMEO likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

interesting info
    I guess you need to marry rich or go live in the boonies
    ROMEO likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM1359 View Post
    interesting info
    I guess you need to marry rich or go live in the boonies
    Or wait for Inheritance from your parents
    ROMEO and harbie like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Dh and i just rented out our townhouse in the suburbs of Vancouver. Rent covered all housing costs for that house while we moved back home for free . We want a house with a backyard for our daughter not a patch of grass in our townhouse. This was the only way to do it plus the extra help with my daughter is awesome!
    ROMEO likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information