• 2 Post By mulock
  • 1 Post By brunt
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 2 Post By bargain_hunter_lola

Thread: Printer reviews and/or comparison

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Expired on: Fri, May 1st, 2015
    I'm in the market for a new printer and have no idea what to get.

I've had my current Kodak All-In-One for around 5-6 years and have absolutely loved it. Unfortunately the scanner no longer works and it when it prints it has lines through the page.

I'm looking for a printer with wifi capabilities that also scans. I'd prefer to spend a little more upfront than spend a lot of money on ink. That was one of the biggest selling features of my Kodak (black ink is $15).

Does any one have suggestions? Or know a site that does printer comparisons?

Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a HP Envy 5530 from staples like 2 weeks ago for like $39.92? plus tax? It's wireless, scanner, copier. I really enjoy it. It came with a free pack of small photo paper. The printer was basically the same price of just the black/tri-color ink

I know Best-buy sells a similar HP Envy different model as well. The sale price was very similar too
    Last edited by Tommycoupons; Wed, Apr 8th, 2015 at 08:03 PM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommycoupons View Post
    I bought a HP Envy 5530 from staples like 2 weeks ago for like $39.92? plus tax? It's wireless, scanner, copier. I really enjoy it. It came with a free pack of small photo paper. The printer was basically the same price of just the black/tri-color ink

I know Best-buy sells a similar HP Envy different model as well. The sale price was very similar too
    So the ink is about $40? For both black and tri- colour combined?

That's about what the Kodak has been (black alone is $15, black and colour is $35 I believe).

My moms ink is crazy expensive (about $40 just for black). Trying to avoid that
    dededi likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    So the ink is about $40? For both black and tri- colour combined?

That's about what the Kodak has been (black alone is $15, black and colour is $35 I believe).

My moms ink is crazy expensive (about $40 just for black). Trying to avoid that
    Ya I bought ink on sale at staples today a basic black/tri-color pack i got for $29.37 plus tax

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

IMO... anyone who needs to change their cartridges more than twice a year... should get a laser printer.

Wireless and $70.... it's the same price as one set of ink cartridges! You can afford with the savings... you can afford both an ink and laser printer.
    http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-s...97768-1304.htm
    Last edited by xlxo; Thu, Apr 9th, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    IMO... anyone who needs to change their cartridges more than twice a year... should get a laser printer.

Wireless and $70.... it's the same price as one set of ink cartridges! You can afford with the savings... you can afford both an ink and laser printer.
    http://www.ncix.com/detail/samsung-s...97768-1304.htm
    If I'm reading it right, this printer does not have a scanner.

Also $70 for ink/toner is much more than I'm willing to spend.

I'd rather spend more upfront for the printer and pay less for ink in the long run.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Buy an HP Printer that uses the "HP61" ink cartridges.....honestly I swear by my HP printer. I bought it at BestBuy for $20 around Christmas, and it has a scanner feature, wireless, and also you can email documents to the printer and it will print them out! The HP61 ink is excellent and typically in the $10-$12 price range. I buy the ink online through eBay and get it for around $5. But lately I have been using the printers at work for all my printing so now it costs me nothing.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you absolutely need to print in colour?

If not, consider a laser printer. I kept using ink jets for years, and dealt with the expensive cartridge replacements, blocked jets causing lines and slow print times.

Eventually, I got tired of it and we agreed that we would try laser. Much faster printing, the toner cartridges print thousands of pages, cost $10 (I buy them on eBay), and beautiful and fast printing. I will never go back.

On the few times where we really need colour, I either print at Staples (not that expensive), or if it is a picture, go to WallyWorld and use their photo kiosks. This has been maybe five times in the last ten years.

I'll never go back to ink jet.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Sadly I do need colour. Both kids do projects for school that use colour. I'd end up paying more and wasting time running to staples.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Fri, Apr 10th, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    Buy an HP Printer that uses the "HP61" ink cartridges.....honestly I swear by my HP printer. I bought it at BestBuy for $20 around Christmas, and it has a scanner feature, wireless, and also you can email documents to the printer and it will print them out! The HP61 ink is excellent and typically in the $10-$12 price range. I buy the ink online through eBay and get it for around $5. But lately I have been using the printers at work for all my printing so now it costs me nothing.
    Thanks for the info!

I think I'm leaning toward the HP Officejet 4630. It's $70 at Staples right now. It uses HP61 ink which seems to be the cheapest I've seen. Plus it looks very similar to the Kodak ESP 6150 that I have right now (have I said how much I love that printer?).

It's amazing how confusing buying a printer is! lol.

Thanks everyone! Keep the suggestions/comments coming
    mulock and dededi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    If I'm reading it right, this printer does not have a scanner.

Also $70 for ink/toner is much more than I'm willing to spend.

I'd rather spend more upfront for the printer and pay less for ink in the long run.
    You are correct... that is NOT a color inkjet, nor is it a scanner. However...
    • what percentage of your prints are just b/w... the laser will be cheaper.
    • how much is a set of ink cartridges? I found myself spending around $70.... about 2 or 3 times a year.
    • Having that second printer (laser) extended the life of my ink cartridges when I needed color.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by xlxo View Post
    You are correct... that is NOT a color inkjet, nor is it a scanner. However...
    • what percentage of your prints are just b/w... the laser will be cheaper.
    • how much is a set of ink cartridges? I found myself spending around $70.... about 2 or 3 times a year.
    • Having that second printer (laser) extended the life of my ink cartridges when I needed color.
    I don't print often but when I do it's generally colour. The majority of printing is for school projects. Could I print everything in black and white? Sure, but I absolutely don't want to. I like colour! lol. My kids are younger and they like making class gifts etc. which again looks much nicer in colour.

I agree colour ink is expensive, which is why I'm researching to find the best printer with the cheapest ink. As I said before I was paying around $30 for colour (which I just looked up and it was actually closer to $20 for the Kodak) and that ink would last about 4 months on average. I don't mind spending $5 a month for colour.

I also need a scanner. No one I know has one and I do scan and photocopy a fair amount. Sure I go could to staples but usually I don't have the time. The added convenience is a huge draw for me.

I don't print often enough to justify 2 printers. So I'm only looking at the ones that print colour and scans.

Thread Information