User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By GatineauGirl

Thread: Mark's Shipping Tax?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I gave in and tried to buy a pair of shoes from Mark's on-line today. I say, "gave in" because I swore I would never buy from Mark's again after a fiasco from a couple of years ago. Anyway, they are charging a "shipping tax".....what the heck is that? So, in addition to the Federal Tax, The Provincial Tax, and the unavoidable shipping charge, they charge a shipping tax too? Why? (I did not complete my order.)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Never heard of that, I last ordered from them in December.

Email them and ask.
    GatineauGirl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good idea, Natalka. I'll share what they respond.
    luckbealady likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is the response I just received from Marks. (I asked them why they charged tax on the shipping.)

We are sorry to learn of the difficulties you have encountered while attempting to place an online order. We take great pride in offering all of our customers a very positive shopping experience and are very disappointed that we did not succeed in your case.

We have optimized our site to be viewed by most common browsers. However, you may experience some problems with older versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer. We encourage you to try using Google Chrome or Firefox as your browser. We find these browsers are more reliable overall.

Please be advised that debit credit cards and credit cards that do not support AVS (Address Verification System) will not be able to be used on Mark's website. Some customers may experience difficulties during the Billing & Payment screen as customer's billing information must match their credit card information exactly as shown (for ex. Street vs St). Our customers may be prompted to enter their Verified by Visa or Mastercard SecureCode to proceed. This information is required as an added security precaution and will not allow you to proceed if your credit card information is not entered correctly.

Please also ensure that cookies have been enabled, your cache has been cleared and that your pop-up blocker is not turned on to avoid any additional errors. If this does not resolve your problem, please call Customer Service at
    1-800-663-6275 and be prepared with the following information: operating system (i.e. Windows 7, etc.) and browser type (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, etc.)

Orders will be charged a standard shipping charge of $6.50 plus applicable taxes. This is a taxable service. If you wish to avoid shipping charges we encourage you to visit your local store to process a FAST FIND services offered by Mark's. Simply tell the store what you are looking for, they will place the order for you and have the item delivered to your home, work or your local Mark’s store…fast and there is no delivery cost to you.

Should you require any further assistance, simply respond to this email or contact us at the toll-free number provided below. Our office hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (EST) and Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST).

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Well, I misunderstood your initial posting - I guess just by the wording shipping tax, I thought that was something extra.

But, yes, stores charge tax (I think just GST) on shipping charges.

Thread Information