User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Feeling so discouraged....

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's been almost a year since my fall, taking the top off my fibula and making "crushed eggshells" on the outside of my leg. A year! I walk with a cane, so I still can't walk like a normal person. I had 2 screws removed before Christmas because they were encroaching into the area between my tibia and my knee. ( soft tissue), which relieved that pain. Now, that same pain is on the inside back of my knee! How can that be possible, if that's where the screw heads are?! I feel the plate and remaining 7 screws with almost every step
    I take...it's like someone is hitting that part of my keg with a baseball bat. Not agressively, just enough to feel a good "ouch!". I feel the cold in that plate when it's cold out...I could handle that, I really could, if the pain subsided. I can drive again, but if I can't walk without discomfort, what's the point?!

Sorry to vent, but at this moment, I've just had enough. I'll call my surgeon next week and she'll order an x-ray to determine what's going on, if anything's shifted.....and when and if I can have that hardware removed...I hear 18 months is the minimum....Christmas...I just don't want to feel like an invalid anymore!!

Thanks. I had to hammer that out.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, Lynn, so sorry... I had thought things were so much better!

Name:  hugscomputer.gif
Views: 228
Size:  46.6 KB
    Skippy, madchives, strew and 6 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm sorry you're still hurting, Lynn. Hopefully something can be done to help you before Christmas!
    Skippy, madchives, Andit and 4 others like this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

did you get physio OP?
    did you get some exercises to do?
    Skippy, Andit, Crochetlady and 2 others like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So sorry to hear that. I really do hope it gets better for you soon. Vent away girl!
    Skippy, Andit, Crochetlady and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, Natalka, DurhamCouponer, ShwaGirl, Nina1....I thought I was getting better too; unfortunately things seem to be on the downslide right now. Yes, I've been in physio for the past year, trying to regain the strength in that leg and was progressing very well until this "discomfort" has been increasing. I know nothing like this is happening, but whenever I take a step with that right leg it feels as if the plate is pulling away somehow. Intellectually I know that nothing like that is happening, but the feeling is the same...like it's falling down...lol..pretty silly, really, but that's what it feels like. Even sitting in a recliner, to put that leg over the other...same thing...that pulling feeling. And the same hurting behind my knee as I had on the other side seems to signal that there's pressure once again between my tibia and my knee..into that soft tissue. Which will mean another surgery. Feeling this uncomfortable and in pain, trying to walk normally is impossible. With the travelling we've done this past month, I won't see my therapist until next week, so we'll go over what's going on and take it from there.
    I'll have to make an appointment with my surgeon.

I'm not normally a complainer, but I've about had it with this injury, honestly. We're not getting any younger and still want to travel while we can; this isn't making it easy....

Thank you for putting up with my venting....{{{hugs}}}...Lynn
    Skippy, Andit, Natalka and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

it's part of the aging process, some folks handle pain better than others.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

ahhh lynn vent away that's what we are here for -hope you get some answers
    Skippy, madchives, Andit and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Sorry to hear you are having problems again Lynn. Having pain is no fun.
    Skippy, Andit, Natalka and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    The aging process I can and have handled into my 65 years, but putting up with the inconvenient nuisance and discomfort of a metallic "intruder" in my leg is quite a different story, I'm afraid......Aging pains are my arthritis, rheumatism, my fibromyalgia that I've put up with for goodness knows how long (from my 20s) are pittances to what this pain is...
    Skippy, Andit, Natalka and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal50 View Post
    I'm guessing you've never had the pleasure of dealing with complications from a broken bone to make such a remark?

As much as I would like some people to experience certain situations in order to better be able to empathize, I wouldn't wish these sorts of complications (& the pain that comes with them) on my worst enemy.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Yeah wow that comment was something else lol. I have a very major hip injury and I wish sometimes that some people had an inkling of what it has been like.
    Comparatively a c section was nothing and I took zero pain meds after lol. THAT is how much pain I go through due to a bone injury.
    Last edited by annedougherty; Sat, Apr 25th, 2015 at 05:58 PM.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Sorry to hear about the mini setback, Lynn (& it is minor! Just think, you can walk now, even if there is pain).

It took me 3 yrs to get back enough muscle tone to walk 'straight' (i.e., not like a drunken sailor) after the 2 yrs in casts. So don't be discouraged, there is still lots of time to get back to normal. In terms of the discomfort you're dealing with, I'm wondering whether tissue has formed around the screws & is pulling on them, so to speak. This sort of thing won't necessarily show up on an x-ray, tho. I've never dealt with plates or screws, but I have had tissue grow over hardware in my body in a matter of days (in my case plastic tubing that was supposed to drain an infection became, ahem, part of my body & hurt like the dickens when they pulled it out). To this day, if I have the urge to use salty language in polite company, I my curse of choice is 'Jackson Pratt' (the name of the tubing that caused the ouchie).

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i feel sorry for you Lynn, pain isn't a good thing to experience at all ((( big hugs to you )))
    Crochetlady, Lynn49 and amira84 like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, Andi, Anne....yes, unless someone's experienced 'our' kind of pain, it's useless to even hope they understand it. Others, on the other hand, can at least sympathize with it, which is very kind of them.

Andi, you're right again, of course...I've come a long way, Baby! Perhaps I'm pushing it, thinking I should be walking normally again...but a year! Now there you are, 2 years in a cast, and another 3 to walk upright like (as my DD put it) a homo sapien.
    I'll attempt to be a little more patient...your thoughts regarding tissue forming around the screws, thus my experiencing that "pulling feeling" may be just what's going on...I seemed to have healed so quickly. Muscle-tone, otoh, eludes me....

Take good care, you, too....I hope and pray all our pain is lessened and disappears in very short order!!
    Crochetlady, walkonby and amira84 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information