User Tag List

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree645Likes

Thread: What's in your Herb / Vegetable garden?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh bobbiegirl that is so disappointing. Especially when you started them from seed indoors. I cannot help you with what is attacking them but I know the darn squirrel in my yard gets his kicks destroying our planter boxes regularly. We got more rain this morning ( heavy too ). I planted green onions for DD and cannot believe how tall they are already! Everything else is growing as expected, hoping this daily soaking from Mother Nature does not ruin anything.
    Ciel and SnowFlakey like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    Help! Something (I think it's birds) are pulling out/ripping my recently transplanted squash seedlings!!!!! Anyone else have this problem before? I'm so sad that some of the plants I grew from seed in my greenhouse were destroyed a few days after I transplanted them I tried planting new seeds in hopes that I'll get more plants but I am afraid they will get ripped out too if I don't do something to protect them. The same thing happened to my bean plants. They don't seem to mess with anything else in the garden just squash, canteloupe and beans. Has anyone else had this problem and/or know what I can do to protect my plants?
    Do you have critters in your area? lol I had raccoons that like to dig up things when I lived in the house....I put some of that cheap $1 store wire fencing around my garden plot and that seemed to deter them

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I already have a chicken wire fence around the garden which was keeping critters out (lots of rabbits and squirrels in our area). I really had no problems until I planted the squash seedlings so I'm thinking it's birds (apparently they like to pull out seedlings of plants that have large seeds like beans, corn and squash and eat what's left of the seed).

I went out to dollarama today and bought a bunch of colourful metal mesh picnic food covers that seem to work pretty well. The squash, cucumber and canteloupe seedlings are all planted in hills so these seem to work perfectly Came home and found one pumpkin plant had been attacked Now I hope everything is safe...
    Last edited by bobbiegirl2010; Tue, Jun 16th, 2015 at 01:17 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

The rain has been awesome here this week. It seems to rain overnight/morning then sunshine. I will have to remember to pay attention when it stops and actually water stuff!
    Ciel and bobbiegirl2010 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There are local raccoons that lurk about in the evenings but cannot say if they are digging the garden up. I'm more worried that a local rabbit will spy the mesclun (some lettuce in the mix is growing like a weed) and think "take out!" Have chicken wire around the garden but want to upgrade to a taller plastic fence (and avoid rusty wire encounters).
    I've noticed something must be in the garden because I see a little hole dug here and there. I think squirrels are dropping nut shells in the garden but the far side of the garden has an underground hole and I don't want to find out if it's a mouse or rat or whatever living there.
    SnowFlakey and bobbiegirl2010 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

DH and I just picked and shared the 6 ripe strawberries that were on our plant! What a difference in the taste from the ones we buy at the store?? These were so juicy and sweet.
    Ciel, bobbiegirl2010 and redhdlois like this.

babies teach us acceptance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm in Vancouver and my garden has gone berserk with all the nice weather we've been having! Lettuce mixes, kale, peppers, cukes, tomatoes and leeks everywhere--just from a patio garden
    Ciel, bobbiegirl2010 and redhdlois like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by suzaah View Post
    I'm in Vancouver and my garden has gone berserk with all the nice weather we've been having! Lettuce mixes, kale, peppers, cukes, tomatoes and leeks everywhere--just from a patio garden
    Hello neighbour
    I am also doing balcony gardening.....wondering how your tomatoes are doing ? I don't seem to have much luck with them and I've tried all sorts of different ways of growing them. I have a western exposure, so get the afternoon sun and it can get quite hot. I bought a few organic seedlings about a month ago and so far they are growing fine and starting to get little fruits, so I'm crossing my fingers I will get a crop this year !!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    Hello neighbour
    I am also doing balcony gardening.....wondering how your tomatoes are doing ? I don't seem to have much luck with them and I've tried all sorts of different ways of growing them. I have a western exposure, so get the afternoon sun and it can get quite hot. I bought a few organic seedlings about a month ago and so far they are growing fine and starting to get little fruits, so I'm crossing my fingers I will get a crop this year !!

Hi there redhdlois,

My patio is top floor north facing --lots of light and lots of heat-- and yet I've had limited success with tomatoes in the 3 years I've lived here. The plants themselves have grown quite large but the tomatoes tend to split before they ripen. I had bought my plants partially grown from Home Depot for the past 2 but this year I've bought from a more "organic" nursery on the North Shore. Both are hybrids, designed for patios, supposedly high yield small space types (I can look up the names if you're interested). Both have lots of green guys sprouting and one plant (with cherry style tomatoes) are starting to colour up. We'll see what happens...

I've never had the patience or the timing to start from tomato seedlings so hats off to you. Good luck and happy harvest
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Hi there redhdlois,

My patio is top floor north facing --lots of light and lots of heat-- and yet I've had limited success with tomatoes in the 3 years I've lived here. The plants themselves have grown quite large but the tomatoes tend to split before they ripen. I had bought my plants partially grown from Home Depot for the past 2 but this year I've bought from a more "organic" nursery on the North Shore. Both are hybrids, designed for patios, supposedly high yield small space types (I can look up the names if you're interested). Both have lots of green guys sprouting and one plant (with cherry style tomatoes) are starting to colour up. We'll see what happens...

I've never had the patience or the timing to start from tomato seedlings so hats off to you. Good luck and happy harvest

I'm glad I"m not the only one that has challenges with tomato growing lol........wondering what nursery you bought yours from on the North Shore. I bought my organic seedlings from Maple Leaf Nursery in West Van.
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by redhdlois View Post
    I'm glad I"m not the only one that has challenges with tomato growing lol........wondering what nursery you bought yours from on the North Shore. I bought my organic seedlings from Maple Leaf Nursery in West Van.
    Actually that's the one I went to too (coming from East Van everything's North Shore over there for me lol) but I bought quite well grown plants rather than seedlings. They've got great mixed salad bundles that are growing like crazy in my garden right now! What else are you growing in yours?
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

Actually that's the one I went to too (coming from East Van everything's North Shore over there for me lol) but I bought quite well grown plants rather than seedlings. They've got great mixed salad bundles that are growing like crazy in my garden right now! What else are you growing in yours?
    Well West and North Van are both considered the North Shore....anything that's across the bridge lol You may have gone to the one in Lynn Valley though......??
    I live a few blocks from the Maple Leaf in West Vanc, it's a big nursery so I go there often (and always spend money lol).
    I am also growing from seed....spinach, mescluns, romaine which is not doing well, and some herbs; basil and cilantro......I miss having a yard : (
    There are community gardens that my building owns, but I stupidly didn't put my name in for one and now I regret it.....I walk past it and am envious of everything that people are growing.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Would red plastic sheeting or containers help your tomatoes grow? The red is supposed to help do wonders with tomato ripening.

I'm impressed with the BC balcony gardens!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I think they like a 'green house' effect lol.......I go to a local 'farm' and they have a plastic covered 'green house' and the tomatoes thrive in it....I guess it protects them from wind and dampness and they love the humidity.

My second round of spinach is now growing....one day is just dirt; the next it's already an inch tall....amazing.

We are in for some hot weather this week.....
    Ciel likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Our crop of Taraxacum Officinale plants are really taking off this year!!!

I find it's a very low maintenance variety. I don't even have to water them and they keep producing on their own. They're doing well in full shade and full sun. I'm also proud to say they're 100% organic and free of pesticides. If anyone wants these hardy gems, you're welcome to them. Just bring your own spade and a couple of robaxacets because I meant it when I said we have plenty.

Hey, dandelions are edible right?

No but seriously, the only thing in my garden at the moment that's doing well is the rhubarb that we inherited with the house. We used to plant tomatoes and peppers but we fought the squirrels and the squirrels won. Then FIL destroyed our garden hose pipe (long story). So the only plants we have are hardy perennial flowers and that good old taraxacum officinale . Lots of wildflowers in the mix as well though - I'm not sure of the variety but the monarchs love them and visit our yard when they migrate so that's a nice sight.
    Last edited by frugallegemom; Tue, Jun 23rd, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Ciel and walkonby like this.
    Get your F-R-E-E gift cards just by browsing online with Swagbucks. Click here to register now!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information