User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree626Likes

Thread: What's in your Herb / Vegetable garden?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Okay, I realize this is early for some, depending on where you live. But I planted some vegetable seeds on the weekend in my new and (hopefully) improved garden and thought it would be great to follow other people's gardens this year.

This is year 3 of herb/vegetable garden for me, and having started knowing next to nothing about growing vegetables, I rebuilt my garden this year with the goal of significantly increasing my yield. Dh and I build a box around my existing 10' x 4' bed so that I could add more good soil for it, so it's now a slightly raised bed, and instead of planting in rows, am trying square foot approach (but with soil, not vermiculite).

As I raised the soil level, I had to transplant some herbs. I moved my lemon balm and oregano to a planter, so the lemon balm won't be able to overrun everything. I pulled my sage as sadly, it did not survive our crazy cold winter. My thyme is already greening up nicely, and I thinned it and moved it. I also moved the square of soil where chives were coming up and planted some new seeds.

Vegetable seeds I planted so far - golden beets, mixed red beets, carrots, spinach, mixed leaf lettuces, romaine, and peas. Except for the peas, am staggering my planting, so will do a bit more of each in two weeks. And then will also add warm weather plants when time comes.

I also transplanted two rhubarb crowns my dad brought me on the weekend. My parents will be selling their house, and my sister had the good sense to ask my dad for his rhubarb. We are sharing it He brought one patch that was next to the house and already shooting up stalks. The other patch is still firmly in frozen ground, so we will get in two weeks when my sister goes there (they live 500 km away). Am really excited about having my own rhubarb.

Have you started your garden yet? If not, what are you planning?
    This thread is currently associated with: Thyme Maternity

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's still early here to plant much outside, but indoors I have tomatoes (9 varieties - I love heirlooms!), jalapenos, eggplant (Early Egg and Ping Tung), cabbage (Aubervilliers and Early Jersey), marigolds, Swiss Giant pansies, leeks, basil, catnip, lemon balm, sage, yarrow, and parsley started. Outside, I planted some garlic and onion bulbs and Swiss Chard (Fordhook), kale (lacinato and Red Russian), Red Frills mustard, "frisee" endive, and pac choi. I am hoping it wasn't too early to plant the greens!

In late May/early June, we'll put out the transplants and plant peas, potatoes (I ordered a few unusual varieties from Eagle Creek Farms in Alberta this year), dry bush beans, string beans, carrots (mixed heirloom blend), beets (Detroit Red and Golden), cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli, and squash (this year, likely zucchini and Nutterbutter). I also like to plant some zinnias and sunflowers throughout the garden. So pretty!
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Wed, Apr 29th, 2015 at 12:56 PM.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Chives that survived the winter. And weeds. Hopefully the neighbor's zucchini will grow into our yard again
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I've never planted all from seed before, so is first time I plant this early. People are surprised I planted this early, because the traditional wisdom here in Ottawa is to not plant until the May long weekend. But that applies to non frost resistant plants I think, and flower plants. I followed the directions on my seed packets to plant three weeks before last frost date. The spinach and peas should have been planted even earlier according to packets, which say to plant as soon as soil can be worked.

So this is an experiment for me. Worst case scenario, if things don't grow, I will plant again. However, I am determined to remain optimistic that I did what I was supposed to do.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    Chives that survived the winter. And weeds. Hopefully the neighbor's zucchini will grow into our yard again
    Yeah, my chives too. I think they're indestructible. I don't do anything with them, I just like their flowers

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    Hopefully the neighbor's zucchini will grow into our yard again

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    Yeah, my chives too. I think they're indestructible. I don't do anything with them, I just like their flowers
    I love the flowers too. They are so pretty. I love the 3-Dness of them
    GoJays, bobbiegirl2010 and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Most of what I planted two weeks ago is sprouting My peas and spinach are doing really well, and the beets are coming up nicely too. The romaine lettuce has started a little, but the leaf lettuce did not. Very few carrots are showing any sign of life so far.

It's been unseasonably hot here, so have had to water daily. The forecast has daily lows well above freezing, so planted frost sensitive things today. Added acorn squash, green onions, dill and cilantro. Also added more spinach, leaf lettuce, romaine, carrots and beets.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Hi

This year is our first year growing veggies so we'll see how it goes lol. We tilled up a garden roughly 21' x 32' and on Saturday we planted:

- Onions
    - Sweet Peas
    - Snap Peas
    - Carrots
    - Radishes
    - Rutabagas
    - Red Leaf Lettuce
    - Romaine Lettuce
    - Mixed Greens
    - Spinach
    - Kohlrabi

I also have some parsley and cilantro that's growing nicely (started from seed) and a rosemary plant growing inside. I'm assuming I need to wait until after the frost date to plant these outdoors?

DH also bought a little green house so we were going to start some canteloupe, broccoli and brussel sprouts in there plus buy some tomato and pepper plants.

I'm going to plant the rest of my seeds end of May/ beginning of June.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

^^^^ wow big garden. I would love to be able to plant some of the space hogs like broccoli and brussel sprouts, but with our small yard comes a small garden.

Good luck with this first garden. It's so satisfying to eat food you have grown yourself

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

@super807 I think we maybe went a little crazy with the garden plans since we have the space lol.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

My chives are already blooming. They didn't last year, why are they flowering so early?
    I'll pick them off after they bloom, so I can use them as garnishes...but it's a little early, no?
    dededi likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I also have 2 apple trees. Anyone else have fruit trees? I am disappointed to find out that my Paula Red and my Honeycrisp trees are not pollination partners so I probably won't get any apples this year The nursery gave DH wrong information... Now we'll have to buy a third tree that pollinates the ones we have...
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

I planted tomato,jalapeño, bell pepper and zucchini plants,first time gardener. In herbs cilantro, mint and methi.

I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I planted:

*sweet peas
    *Jack pumpkin
    *Butternut squash
    *Cherry tomats
    *Sweet peppers
    *Zucchini
    *cucumbers
    *Sunflowers