User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: No perfume allowed! Perfume free zone!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    I see that between your aunt and my scary posts that you're getting bombarded by messages about how we're contributing to our own illnesses.. I advise everyone to stop buying those toxic "smellies" ... Glade, Airwick, SCJohnson...anything that isn't natural and toxic-chemical-free. If we think we have breathing problems now...just wait until those kids who've been exposed to those poisons develop very serious breathing problems! I know it's a stretch of course, but spraying toxins around the house, burning poisonous candles and plugging in chemicals around babies and young children should be outlawed as child abuse...yes, a stretch, I know....I get it, but it's just not contributing to their breathing problems, but nerve and brain damage to kids who trust us to care for their health. Jmho, of course...but it's something I feel very strongly about.
    Here's a video that may help with alternatives to smellies that don't cost too much. She's Canadian. You can start at 4:10
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Wed, May 13th, 2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Lynn49, barbis9 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

And another one for your viewing pleasure
    Lynn49, barbis9 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I agree! ( unhealthy for sure! ) Why oh why are there umpteen B1G2 coupons and tons of sales, and rebates for these types of products around?
    When I am being paid to carry these things home it is very tempting to spray a tad near the litter box every once in a while, but I have gone for so long without the smellies and it just makes me suspicious that their products are offered constantly at discounts??
    Gee....yah, just why are there so many coupons for those poisons?! I guess as long as people think the world smells nice, they won't be worried about the outside world and what the politicians are doing to ruin the remaining part of the country! Yes, as a full-fledged conspiracy theorist, I see republican bad guys everywhere!! They all own the companies that sell us those poison foods and smellies...they're getting rich while people are getting sicker. Which, coincidently, brings us to the pharmaceutical companies they own! Keep everyone sick and make a buck or trillion along the way!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

wah!!!! my rose coloured glasses!! you stepped on them Lynn!!

Lynn49, barbis9 and MortgageQueen like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

wah!!!! my rose coloured glasses!! you stepped on them Lynn!!

Always happy to be of service to you, my DEAR Friend...
    barbis9, walkonby and Candini like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. . .all indoor/outdoor. I find using vinegar and hot water to wash floors and using throws on furniture and washing evry 5 to 7 days, the house always smells great.
    Visitors are constantly amazed they can't smell even a slight bit of pet smells.

It can be as easy as that. We're just psyched into believing we need all that smelly stuff. When I was growing up, you lit a match in the bathroom. End of story. Lol!!
    Lynn49, barbis9, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

@Lynn49

Exciting news! Homemade Lush bath bombs! *squeals*
    Exactly the same thing as Lush ingredient wise, safe scents (could even dry flowers from your garden) and color can be made as stated with beets or carrots

http://www.mariasself.com/2012/02/di...-homemade.html

http://www.lush.ca/Avobath/00052,en_CA,pd.html#start=6
    Last edited by Candini; Tue, May 26th, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
    Lynn49 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

I worked in a scent-free zone for a while and after that I really noticed when someone was wearing perfume. Now I only notice once in a while when someone is wearing overly strong perfume, or when someone is an indoor smoker, and Febreeze is really hard to take and gives me a headache. Once you get use to an unscented environment, strong odours can be really overwhelming. Having said that, someone's lotion shouldn't send anyone into a tizzy.
    Lynn49, barbis9, walkonby and 3 others like this.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Nothing beats opening your windows for fresh air! I have eliminated 90% of the scented products and I feel so much better these days.

I have read two interesting books that I borrowed from the library, that will give you a real scary insight into products and the industries that manufacture them written by two Canadians.

Slow Death by Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger of Everyday Things by Rick Smith & Bruce Lourie

and their follow up book

Toxin Toxout: Getting Harmful Chemicals Out of Our Bodies and Our World

In Toxin Toxout they discuss various detoxes and say that most are a scam. Very interesting read which I recommend.

Here is a sample:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=RXQ...toxout&f=false
    Last edited by barbis9; Tue, May 26th, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
    Lynn49 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Nothing beats opening your windows for fresh air! I have eliminated 90% of the scented products and I feel so much better these days.

I have read two interesting books that I borrowed from the library, that will give you a real scary insight into products and the industries that manufacture them written by two Canadians.

Slow Death by Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger of Everyday Things by Rick Smith & Bruce Lourie

and their follow up book

Toxin Toxout: Getting Harmful Chemicals Out of Our Bodies and Our World

In Toxin Toxout they discuss various detoxes and say that most are a scam. Very interesting read which I recommend.

Here is a sample:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=RXQ...toxout&f=false

Thank you, Barbis9...nothing surprises me anymore with regard to chemicals, "smellies"..which is a cutesy name for poison! I won't even buy foods labeled 'made in china' anymore, and you can bet that's a chore to find!! Also foods labeled something like "processed for x-Canadian company"...uh-huh...processed where, exactly?!
    It's a scary world our kids are inheriting and they're counting on us, as grown-ups to protect them...buy NOT spraying a lovely smelling "lavender" scent in their rooms to make them fall asleep!! Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Mon, Jun 1st, 2015 at 11:04 AM.
    barbis9 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Lynn I know the feeling of being on both sides of that. For many years when I was young I felt choked out when ever I hugged any Aunties, or other relatives ( I was convinced they doused themselves in their favourite scents ) and truly I just never wore any perfume till I was in my very late 20's.
    Then I found a few I LOVED! They were unique, I swore by them. I used them with no issues until all this " no scents in the workplace " rule came about, then sadly I was restricted to only spritzing on the weekends, and I had to be sure I was not going anywhere I'd bother anyone. ( btw, I DO NOT use a lot either, so that part bugs me )

I wonder if this has affected sales of high end fragrances?

What were the fragrances that you loved that didn't bother you? I am looking for an occasional fragrance but most are so strong.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    What were the fragrances that you loved that didn't bother you? I am looking for an occasional fragrance but most are so strong.
    Look for soy-based candles with natural fragrances and with no lead in their wicks. You'll pay a little more, but you won't be breathing in any poisons. Or just simmer a dash of cinnamon in water on your stove...or add orange slices, cloves, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information