User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ahatt

Thread: Opening a bank account with bad credit?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have terrible credit and even a very old student loan from a bank that has defaulted so many times (the payments were really low I just kept forgetting).
    I was already denied a bank account with BMO.
    How can I get a Canadian bank account that accepts U.S. funds deposits with my terrible credit history? I would apply for the U.S. funds account with my current bank but they need to do a credit check so I declined that out of fear.
    P.S. I'm in Canada
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

I don't understand how BMO can deny opening a bank account for you. They do a credit check in order to determine ATM withdrawl limits, overdraft and cheque holds. By law they cannot refuse to open a bank account. If they do you can contact FCAC and file a complaint.

Not sure how it would work with US fund deposits. Is it a direct deposit or is it a cheque that you receive?

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/resou...-Ouvertur.aspx
    MortgageQueen likes this.
    Join Swagbucks and earn points for searching, surveys and more!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ahatt View Post
    I don't understand how BMO can deny opening a bank account for you. They do a credit check in order to determine ATM withdrawl limits, overdraft and cheque holds. By law they cannot refuse to open a bank account. If they do you can contact FCAC and file a complaint.

Not sure how it would work with US fund deposits. Is it a direct deposit or is it a cheque that you receive?
    I get a direct deposit right now, I haven't written a check or even cashed one in years. I've never bounced a check and I don't have an overdraft. The only thing I can think of on my file would be my student loan which was issued from a bank back when they did that. I've made payments but defaulted numerous times. However, for just a student loan I don't understand why i would be denied either.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

sinep, why don't you make a settlement for your bad debt? I'm sure you don't want this following you around.
    You should pull your own credit (you can do it free by mail) AT least find out what your current credit bureau is even reporting. . .

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Without check facilities & overdraft facilities ..I don't know why banks give bad credit customers a hard time to open an account

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Banks cannot refuse any checking or savings account even if bankrupt in Canada....

So unless you defaulted with the specific bank if past, they will open account but may debit what you owed them in past ( ist in your contractw hen you signed up with them ) or you don'y have proper ID ( with current address )

Contact BMO manager at branch and account will be opened.
    Tangerine Orange Key - 14330176S1

Become a new Tangerine client and open a Tangerine Savings, Chequing, TFSA, GIC or RSP account with an initial deposit of $100 or more and useOrange Key -
    14330176S1 to earn yourself a free $50 deposit bonus. http://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Thread Information