User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: I was unaware the cost of my garbage receptacle went up!!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    We pay $2 per bag for our garbage. unlimited free recycling. Some friends have the wheelie bins and they pay $85 per year for those.
    so the City does not force you to use any of the garbage rolling bins? I do not think we have a choice, we had to pick one of them. If I left just a bag out on the curb, they would not pick it up.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    so the City does not force you to use any of the garbage rolling bins? I do not think we have a choice, we had to pick one of them. If I left just a bag out on the curb, they would not pick it up.
    We don`t have a choice either. They live in a different county.

We live in a tiny village and only have pickup every other week.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Peel Region in 2016 will have residents only use wheelie bins for all categories of trash/recyclables and not allow bags. There is some indication that biweekly collection will start too. Carts will be provided at no charge in the fall. http://prd.app1.peelregion.ca/cart-confirmation/

I feel for Torontonians who got large green carts when their spaces might have allowed for small carts-there should have been an option to choose the size best suited to the residence (not that high-density dwellers have a choice really).
    A Toronto Life article last year indicated that there was an interest in turning more of the City of Toronto collected garbage runs over to private contractors as was done in Etobicoke unless the new PW manager was able to get staff to become more efficient to show they were competitive in service for the taxpayers' $$$.

Hamilton sends out 12 trash tags by mail in March and residents have to make a visit to a municipal centre for an additional 14 trash tags.
    @anastasia1009 - FYI, Guelph and other areas collected by Guelph for garbage/recycling -I understood that different coloured clear bags you pay for! It looks now as though Guelph is using a cart system. http://guelph.ca/living/garbage-and-.../cart-program/
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, May 28th, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
    walkonby likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Peel Region in 2016 will have residents only use wheelie bins for all categories of trash/recyclables and not allow bags. There is some indication that biweekly collection will start too. Carts will be provided at no charge in the fall. http://prd.app1.peelregion.ca/cart-confirmation/

I feel for Torontonians who got large green carts when their spaces might have allowed for small carts-there should have been an option to choose the size best suited to the residence (not that high-density dwellers have a choice really).
    A Toronto Life article last year indicated that there was an interest in turning more of the City of Toronto collected garbage runs over to private contractors as was done in Etobicoke unless the new PW manager was able to get staff to become more efficient to show they were competitive in service for the taxpayers' $$$.
    In Toronto the only cart you are paying for them to empty is the garbage one, and you DO get to tell them what size is right for your family to use, they don't force a certain size on you.
    The green bin ( food waste ) however, is a slender one and gets collected every week, but for that and the recycle bins there is no fee and no limit on how much food waste or plastic/cardboard you put out. With these new costs attached to the garbage bins I'll bet some families will be rethinking continued use of their x-large bin. ( I am still shocked at that new yearly sticker price of $340.00, such a waste.....literally! )
    Last edited by walkonby; Sat, May 30th, 2015 at 09:36 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Lot of places they are making it (garbage pickup ) bi-weekly from weekly from 2016 , plus increasing your property taxes or garbage fees. Some places its already bi-weekly. So basically less for more !

Make the recycle bi-weekly if you want ! I don't mind flyers, cans, bottles, plastic etc lying around in recycle bins for 2 weeks..heck I don't even mind if its picked up once a month..as its not smelly & hygiene & disease is NOT an issue.

Keep garbage pickup weekly
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Peel Region in 2016 will have residents only use wheelie bins for all categories of trash/recyclables and not allow bags.
    There is some indication that biweekly collection will start too.

Carts will be provided at no charge in the /
    Yes for Peel , it will be bi-weekly for garbage & recycles from 2016. Only Organics ( green bin ) will be picked up weekly.

The week when garbage (grey bin) is picked up , recycles (blue bin) won't be picked..and vice versa.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make smelly Organics ( green bin ) bi-weekly in future ..say in 2020 or something !

Sample Schedule

Week 1:Organics, Garbage
    Week 2:Organics, Recycling
    Week 3:Organics, Garbage
    Week 4:Organics, Recycling
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We only have recycle and and everything else goes in garbage. It does get smelly in the summer with every other week pickup.
    Ciel, walkonby and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Walks that is so disappointing! They should continue incentivizing people for having less trash! Good for you for getting your family down to one bag! Our trash is included with our taxes, but we pay a little over $90 a year for a recycling bin. Trash is weekly and recycle is bi-weekly.

When we lived in Moose Jaw, they tried doing garbage collection bi-weekly and it was awful walking down the back alley... lets just say two weeks of doggy waste, even double bagged, is pretty funky.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    Walks that is so disappointing! They should continue incentivizing people for having less trash! Good for you for getting your family down to one bag! Our trash is included with our taxes, but we pay a little over $90 a year for a recycling bin. Trash is weekly and recycle is bi-weekly.

When we lived in Moose Jaw, they tried doing garbage collection bi-weekly and it was awful walking down the back alley... lets just say two weeks of doggy waste, even double bagged, is pretty funky.
    thanks beckie, believe me when our area ( and we were one of the first! ) was hit with the new rolling bins and changes for pick up I was an awful person here! ( lol!! my kids are scarred for life ) I would search what was tossed in the can regularly and hunted down the culprit!! ( surprise!! it was mostly my DH ) Everyone here knows now that this is no joke, if you toss out more than you have to it will cost you.
    Ciel, beckie.c and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    We only have recycle and and everything else goes in garbage. It does get smelly in the summer with every other week pickup.
    Organics - Green Bin is a joke , apparently most of it is not composted properly & becomes contaminated & just goes to the regular landfill anyways

It used to be like that for us before , just Garbage ( Black Garbage Bags or Grey Bins ) and Recycles ( Blue Bins )

Then they started this whole Green Bin ( Organics) stuff

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

kerrylj, Ciel, GoddessDigi and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by heartgirl99 View Post

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

WOW! We can stuff our cans full here and they will take it. I am a big recycler too

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    WOW! We can stuff our cans full here and they will take it. I am a big recycler too
    you mean you can stuff your rolling garbage bin full with as many bags as it holds? yes, I can do that too, BUT the receptacle we chose to use is so very small so I squish all the air ( I sit on them , lol ) out of sometimes 3 bags and place them all into 1 larger bag, then that gets plopped into the bin. ( it can be a tight fit some weeks ) Often the lid is not sitting totally flat but the garbage men are still only technically lifting just 1 bag out of my bin.
    Ciel, beckie.c and dededi like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would love to only pay $10 a year. I just looked at my city bill and we pay $360 a year.

That is for 2 regular garbage bags once a week. There is a charge of $2 for each extra bag over that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information