User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: Would you install Windows10 on July 25,2015

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Installed Windows 10 on Sunday. Works great and all of my files are in place as they were.
    My Tangerine Orange Key is 46123097S1

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I haven't installed windows 10 on my laptop, even though it's free. I've heard from lots of my friends that their computer started acting weird once they installed it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is adviced to make a clean install of windows 10, I mean don't use the automatic update to upgrade your version because coulde mess up your drivers.
    Redneck Charger and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Believe me that is a wise decision, I upgraded my dell laptop, and now after that my laptop is not working on wifi. Before it was perfect. I missed window 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by caifin View Post
    I haven't installed windows 10 on my laptop, even though it's free. I've heard from lots of my friends that their computer started acting weird once they installed it.
    Redneck Charger and dededi like this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If your laptop is not connecting to wifi. You can check the wireless adapter driver and see if its been changed by Win 10 and maybe you can roll it back. Win10 has a habit of "upgrading" drivers without asking. It changed my sound drivers & I had to keep rolling them back and I finally restored win 7. I am going to wait until June before trying win10 again.
    If you want W7 you can phaps do a system restore and go back to W7. Google windows restore, its a simple peocedure. If you don't have a system restore disk and a system repair disk you shud . If you can't solve it either way you can buy a wifi adapter - runs off a USB port and usually comes with software on disk to install appropriate drivers. Check online Canada Computers or others for pricing - its a simple install - just have your the logon details from your internet provider (user name and password). Good luck.
    uanoor, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

here’s how you can fix all that and get Wi-Fi working again in Windows 10:

Step 1: To begin, launch Command Prompt as Admin. To do this, simply right click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.

Name:  win10wifi-fix.png
Views: 349
Size:  130.8 KB

Step 2: Enter the following command and hit the Enter key:
    reg delete HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f

Name:  win10-fix-wifi.png
Views: 433
Size:  30.5 KB

Step 3: Now enter this command, and press Enter once more:
    netcfg -v -u dni_dne

Name:  win10-wifi.png
Views: 394
Size:  25.8 KB

Preferably, you should restart your computer and check back with your Wi-Fi settings. All networks around you should now be visible and you should be able to connect to them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by uanoor View Post
    Believe me that is a wise decision, I upgraded my dell laptop, and now after that my laptop is not working on wifi. Before it was perfect. I missed window 7.
    uanoor and Redneck Charger like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to well over 20 machines (probably close to 30 now) for friends and family and myself.
    Devices ran from netbook computers with Atom processors and 2gb of Ram, to laptops, to full power-hungry PCs. The devices were running different variations of Win 7 and 8.1 (home and/or pro versions... 32 and 64 bit versions) I never have had an issue with any of them (and these are all people who would be the first to nag me if there was an issue).

I even did an upgrade to a low-end HP Stream 7 tablet that had 8.1 on it which is probably the least likely candidate for 10, and that's running perfectly fine as well.

i did nothing super extraordinary to any of the above machines. In fact the users themselves could have done the upgrades, but I did it as a stand-by in case something went awry... but never did.

Being an IT person, I can certainly grasp that there are billions of permutations of hardware combinations that can exist in the PC world, that might cause Windows installs to falter. I also understand that there are some low-end hardware manufacturers that might engineer a low-cost device and make a driver that works under very specific conditions. However, I cant exactly fathom how an upgrade to a factory built machine (such as a Dell Laptop) which should meet all of Microsoft's driver certifications, would fail. Not unless you had something wonky prior to upgrading and werent aware of it.

In any event, I wouldn't blame the OS. I'd blame a conflict or flaw in driver design from the hardware provider. I find Windows 10 in all of the PCs I've handled to be a great upgrade.

What I HAVE done to reslove other folks' issues who DO have some extenuating problems (do to pre-wonkiness), is to NOW do a CLEAN install (bypassing the upgrade path) of Windows 10 to the same machine and same harddrive. (see follow up post for quick and dirty details on how this is done).
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Dec 30th, 2015 at 12:36 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

INSTALL WINDOWS 10 "FRESH" following an Upgrade install

Having problems with Windows 10 after an upgrade from Win7 or 8.1? Want to blow it all away and try 10 from a fresh install? Here's how...

First, you have to have successfully installed Windows 10 from an upgrade for this method to work.
    You also have to be using the same PC hardware, and most importantly the SAME HARDDRIVE. (your activation license is watermarked on that harddrive, even formatting it wont remove it)

THIS WILL COMPLETELY ERASE ALL DATA FROM YOUR MAIN/BOOT HARDDRIVE. Backup any data from this drive before proceeding.

Before you begin:
    Ideally seek out any drivers for your hardware from the manufacturer's website... preferably Windows 10 drivers, but Windows 8.1 drivers are usually compatible (at least if they are digtally signed drivers from reputable manufacturers). Store them on an alternative medium for later.

Next, you'll need to download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10 --> scroll down to the "Download Tool Now" button

Download and run the tool to create the proper media for the edition of Windows 10 you have (Basic or Pro... 32 or 64 bit).

The tool will allow you to create an ISO to burn to a DVD (*so ensure you have a DVD burner and blank DVD-R media ready)
    OR create a bootable USB drive (needs to be at least 4gb). <-- NOTE: This USB drive will be completely erased if you use this option. Do NOT use the same drive you used to backup your data and/or stored your drivers on previously!

Once you've created your media (be it a DVD or bootable USB thumbdrive) reboot the PC and boot from that media (often you can interrupt the normal boot sequence with an F-key press... F10, F11, F12... etc -- your system may vary on how to accomplish this)

NOTE: If you have multiple harddrives in your computer, I recommend shutting down before booting to the new media and disconnecting all of them except the BOOT (C) drive. (this isnt required, but it avoids what could wind up being a serious mistake in the next step...)

Once it boots, you'll be led through steps to do an install of the OS. If you've ever installed Windows 7 or 8 in the past (or even XP) this will seem all too familiar too you.
    Select that you want to do a full install (not an upgrade) and when presented with the drive options, you'll want to delete all the partitions and re-format your C drive. (if you have multiple harddrives still connected, be certain you clear ONLY the boot drive. If you disconnected them as suggested earlier, you wont see them here.) -- ALSO IMPORTANT: THIS WILL COMPLETELY ERASE ALL DATA FROM YOUR HARDDRIVE.

Once you click NEXT, the install process will proceed. At least twice during the the install process, it will ask you for license or product key information. There will always be an option to SKIP or Ask Me Later... select whichever option you receive that bypasses it. -- by the time you finish the install and get to your Windows desktop, Windows 10 will have activated from the water-marked activation key on your harddrive from your previous Upgrade... so you wont actually need a key.

From there, if need be, install drivers for any undetected devices by using the packages you downloaded earlier, or by having Windows 10 seek them out online. Shut down and reconnect your harddrives (if you disconnected any earlier).
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Dec 30th, 2015 at 03:07 PM.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Installed Windows 10 and all is working well. At 1st it did not want to download guess I was missing allot of window updates but it updated my p.c. and just going to have to get use to the new 10 now.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by caifin View Post
    Both my Mom's PC and my laptop started showing signs of gremlins after we installed Windows 10.....we've since reverted back to Windows 7 and the gremlins are gone.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    Both my Mom's PC and my laptop started showing signs of gremlins after we installed Windows 10.....we've since reverted back to Windows 7 and the gremlins are gone.
    >>
    if it ain't broke...

you've got until july 29, 2016 so why rush. register for your upgrade. use the media creation tool and download the iso and make a usb key and then you are set. upgrade at your leisure.

windows 10 is nicer, but if 7 works fine why bother. i run both.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I upgraded to Windows 10 (kept all my files intact). My son loves it. Some online games did not run well on Windows 7 but are fine in Windows 10.
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

tried it for a bit and it ran well, but i did not like the auto updates. just randomly patching my computer and i had no say in what was installed.

as people are now seeing with the "anniversary" update these patches can lead to many issues.

win7x64 until it bursts into flames!!!

>>

Quote Originally Posted by kmontgom View Post
    I upgraded to Windows 10 (kept all my files intact). My son loves it. Some online games did not run well on Windows 7 but are fine in Windows 10.
    barbis9 and Redneck Charger like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I installed windows 10 on my laptop and I am not impressed. It runs quite a bit slower and I will go back to Windows 7. I did it because I was curious but like the saying goes - If it ain't broke....
    Redneck Charger likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm still using Windows 7 and so is my Mom. Even my office PC is still on Windows 7. I didn't enjoy the Windows 10 experience.
    barbis9 and Redneck Charger like this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information