User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Lice

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I had to shave my son 3 weeks ago a 8 hours going through my duaghter hair pm if you wanna know what i used

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

We've had lice in our home before...it's awful. We had a year of lice hell until someone suggested tea tree oil. It is more cost effective to buy the oil and add it to your shampoo. You never really know how much or little they add to the shampoo. We shampoo'd 2x a day with our regular shampoo and lots and lots of the oil. Let it sit in the hair for a bit and rince. Use a really good lice comb to remove the lice corpses. We did this every day for 2 weeks. As a preventitive tool I have a spray bottle with water and lots of TTO drops in it that we spray on hats, coats etc. I spray before school so the little creatures steer clear of our coats.

It really is the only thing that has ever worked for us.
    Join me on Swagbucks and earn money and giftcards. So easy, so fun!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Kanda2004

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I'm so sorry to hear that you have to deal with this, it's a nightmare for sure! Never had to deal with it as a kid, but both my girls got it 3yrs ago did all the cleaning that your doing and picking of hair ughh. They had it 3 times within 2 months crazy. the tea tree oil i ended up adding it to my regular shampoo as a preventative and used it 2x a week and still use it about 2x a month and still check 1x month because i just can't bear the thought of having to go through all that again. I feel for you, I see lots of coffee drinking in your future!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i've had it and it's been hell to get rid of. i used a special comb i got from shoppers. not the ones that come in the kit but an individually sold one. it worked miracles. separate the hair well and it really removes everything. i was a skeptic but it works.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

i agree with the shaving head suggestion.
    My younger sister lived with her mom, who was a crack head who didn't give a crap about her. Treated her like dirt, was always off in her own world. The courts wouldn't give full custody over to our dad and my mom. So she spent every weekend with us and was full time during the summer. EVERY weekend it would be another case of lice. Her mom never did anything to treat the problem at home so it kept coming back, and then all 3 of us kids would end up with them. Finally my mom told my sisters mom that if she came home ONE more time with lice she was shaving her head. Of course she came back with lice, so my mom shaved her head. As soon as she got home on fridays though my mom would pop her in the bath and throw her clothes in the wash asap just to be on the safe side. But after the head shaving thing, we never had a problem with lice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantum View Post
    Feeling itchy yet?

About a month ago we found lice We treated everyone in the house (no easy feat with 12 people) and retreated in a week...just as the pharmasist said to. We washed all the linen, the stuffies, steam cleaned the couch... Last week we found some again on one of the boys...so again we re treated. Last night I felt itchy, hubby checks...found a nit. So off to SDM this morning.

I know where theyre coming from. My son has a friend. We ll call him Jimmy for now. While we only found one or 2 lice on our kids, poor Jimmy had a head full. He has a horrible home life. Hes 12, his mother works, but shes always too stoned and caught up in her own love life drama to be bothered much with either of her kids (theres 2) so Jimmy more or less lives here. I wont call cps, so please dont suggest that. When we treat the family, Jimmy is included. Ive personally told Jimmys mother about the lice so she could do something about it, but I dont think she is.

Our family is probably the one thing in Jimmys life right now that he can count on. He has clothes here (that were sent over by other friends that their kids had outgrown) he usually eats his meals here, and during the week its a 50-50 guess on weither he spends the night or goes home. During the weekends hes always here. According to Jimmy at home he has to buy all his treats, a lot of basics for food and his own clothes. He gets the $ by babysitting, walking dogs or helping his elderly neighbour clean her house.

I assume the lice are being brought back by Jimmy when he spends the nights at his house.

Im frustrated. What can I do to get these things gone? Is there something I can try thats maybe a lil less expensive than these shampoos? Ive heard of tea tree oil, but I dont know where to get it or what to do with it. Is there any tips anyone can offer up that might help?

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

I too, lived with this problem about 80% of my life i would say. I was sent home every lice check from school with the little buggers in my hair. It's so embaressing as a child to be sent home with bugs, because they don't do it confidentially, and you have to deal with the torment of the other kids thinking your dirty and not wanting to hang out with you etc. its a horrible experience. I never completely got rid of it until i was 21!!!!!( I am 25 and lice free for 4 years). I would clear it up, but it would ALWAYS come back(due to some certain people I couldn't avoid who doesn't care they have it and has no desire to get rid of it.. it dont bother her so she dont care... ugh) I got rid of it by straightening my hair.... I don't know how old your girls are, but the heat from the straightener, obliterates the bugs and nits(as long as they aren't on the scalp) I also hear Resolve(lice shampoo) is supposed to work well.. but i gave up on the shampoos. sure they kill the bugs, but if you leave 1 nit behind...........re infestation all over. I feel for you, and I sure hope you manage to get it all cleaned up. And I would be having a talk with "jimmys" mother again, she obviously isnt realizing the seriousness of the situation. Kids can't go to school with bugs in their hair, and kids not attending school is against the law, and even if you don't call social services, if the kid gets sent home enough times, the school will...... its considered neglect.

Trading Score
    44 (98%)

The boys were all shaved...and everyone's been treated..including myself...not easy.

The school sent home some sheets on what to do. One of the tips was to saturate the hair with conditioner, and go through it strand by stand pretty near with the nit comb and pick them out. Thank goodness for stockpiles. Conditioner I have plenty of.

I've picked these kids sooooo clean...it's taken hours. I started when they got home at 1030... its now 730.. a few breaks here n there but they're finally done. We have to pick through their hair everyday for the next 2 weeks. Urghhhhh

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

you can use diatomaceous earth, its completely safe and non toxic, get the food grade and just brush in their hair, bedding clothes, its also good for fleas and ticks and any kinds of insect pests, including bedbugs, you can even eat it and give it to your pets in their food for internal parasites, do some research online and make sure you get "food grade"

One thing to note, its a powder, so use care when using it, you don't want to breathe it, its like anything else you have to take care with a fine powder not to breathe it in, especially the kids, so don't be throwing it all over the place indiscrimately :O
    Last edited by marycrow; Wed, Nov 2nd, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Check out a website called licebusters, also there is a comb (I love the best) called a licemeister (I think I spelled it right) It's about $27.00 and only place I've found that carries it is SDM.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Go buy resultz. Everything else they have built resistance to, the pharmacist wont tell you that but the health unit will.

Buy this comb. It's amazing, even for checking heads

http://www.amazon.ca/Lice-Comb-Nit-F.../dp/B004B869KW

the lice miester one is available on Well.ca but I don't know how well it works.

wash your sheets,pillow etc, vacuum and you should be good to go.

**Unfortunately shaving their heads doesnt really help. The nits can still live in a shaved head AND they can migrate to other hairy parts of the body instead such as eyebrows. Please let your kids keep their hair just follow the resultz instructions, comb for nits for a few weeks and youll be fine.Its just one of those myths really, kind of like using a straightner will kill them. Too bad most of them are at the hair right by the scalp and you can't straighten that high up.**

Please just buy resultz, its a chemical thats in makeup and works amazing.
    Last edited by Sally888; Wed, Nov 2nd, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Aww, poor you! I am probably not much help because my suggestion is expensive but I have found the only thing to work for my children is the headlice treatment Rezultz. I actually got some on clearance at SDM. The regular price is about $40 but it is a pesticide free treatment and it works amazing! I tried Nix twice on my daughter and she was violently ill both times. The first time we thought it was a flu until the second treatment then I figured it out that it was the pesticide. The poor child is very allergic to it and she was SO sick. The lice were still living after the second treatment too! I don't like the stuff at all. Resultz uses an oil that dries the lice out and kills them. They die and just slide out on the comb. She was lice free after one treatment and she had long thick hair at the time. I can't say enough good things about it. If you can find it on sale, it is worth it! Maybe you can offer to treat Jimmy's hair too. Poor kid, it breaks my heart
    Last edited by sweetnlow30; Wed, Nov 2nd, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Are you referring to a yellow comb called a licemeister??? I agree 100% with you it was amazing my DD had lice bad (loaded) took me 2 hours with that comb and it was gone her hair was long also
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfire View Post
    i've had it and it's been hell to get rid of. i used a special comb i got from shoppers. not the ones that come in the kit but an individually sold one. it worked miracles. separate the hair well and it really removes everything. i was a skeptic but it works.

Trading Score
    205 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Go buy resultz. Everything else they have built resistance to, the pharmacist wont tell you that but the health unit will.

Buy this comb. It's amazing, even for checking heads

http://www.amazon.ca/Lice-Comb-Nit-F.../dp/B004B869KW

wash your sheets,pillow etc, vacuum and you should be good to go.
    LOL, I was posting about Resultz at the same time you were
    I am looking for quick trades for my pre-surgery stock up!

Updated TL/WL HERE

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Its really all that works, its oily as heck though. My kids came home with it a few years ago and I even paid the lice busters to go through my hair (im so paranoid)

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

another really good treatment is olive oil....this is a problem I have lived with my entire childhood...and I am now a stickler for it because of my problems with it in my childhood...I have had long hair my entire life and I have not had a problem since we started using a mixture between olive oil and resultz...we use resultz and then a few days later use the olive oil with a nit comb...I reccomned using sunlight dish soap to wash it out( thank god for those sunlight coupons....lol) and then at the 7 day( after the rezultz) mark we re do with the rezultz....I know that it is the biggest PITA but it is part of life....and as I told my self as a child (after doing a fair bit of reserch about lice) at least Lice like clean heads...its kinda like a complent from a very annoying, very tiny bug...lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information