• 3 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By ZumbaQueen
  • 2 Post By Lynn49

Thread: Cell Phone Letter from mom

Proud to be Canadian, eh! ZumbaQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if anyone remembers (or if the person is still part of our community) a letter/contract she wrote out for her son when he was allowed to use the cell phone.

My daughter borrows an older phone we have but she must return to us every night...she can not delete any texts (I had read some pretty unkind things said to her).

No lock on the phone and all her accounts remain open for us to check the site she visits.

She doesn't get it every day because I find that she becomes a completely different person and her attitude towards us and your siblings changes so she is restricted to the number of days she gets to use it.

Anyways, if anyone know or can direct me, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Shwa Girl, toronto166 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I remember what you are talking about.I don’t have access to the thread. But, here is a contract that a parenting group has written
    http://tweenparenting.about.com/od/tweenculture/a/Parent-Child-Cell-Phone-Contracts.htm

Your Family Contract: A Sample Contract for Parents and Tweens

This contract between [Parents' Names Go Here] and [Tween's Name Goes Here] seeks to establish family rules and consequences regarding cell phone usage.
    Cell Phone: Tween Responsibilities

• I will not send threatening or mean texts to others

• I will not text or place phone calls after 9 p.m.

• I will keep my phone charged at all times

• I will not bring my cell phone to the family dinner table

• I will not go over our plan's monthly minutes or text message limits. If I do, I understand that I may be responsible for paying any additional charges or that I may lose my cell phone privileges

• I understand that I am responsible for knowing where my phone is, and for keeping it in good condition

• I understand that my cell phone may be taken away if I talk back to my parents, I fail to do my chores, or I fail to keep my grades up

• I will obey any rules my school has regarding cell phones, such as turning them off during class, or keeping them on vibrate while riding the school bus

• I promise I will alert my parents when I receive suspicious or alarming phone calls or text messages from people I don't know

• I will also alert my parents if I am being harassed by someone via my cell phone

• I will not use my cell phone to bully another

• I will send no more than _____ texts per day

• I understand that having a cell phone can be helpful in a emergency, but I know that I must still practice good judgment and make good choices that will keep me out of trouble or out of danger

• I will not send embarrassing photos of my family or friends to others. In addition, I will not use my phone's camera to take embarrassing photos of others

• I understand that having a cell phone is a privilege, and that if I fail to adhere to this contract, my cell phone privilege may be revoked

Cell Phone Contract: Parent Responsibilities

• I understand that I will make myself available to answer any questions my tween might have about owning a cell phone and using it responsibly

• I will support my child when he or she alerts me to an alarming message or text message that he or she has received

• I will alert my child if our cell phone plan changes and impacts the plan's minutes

• I will give my child _______ warning(s) before I take his or her cell phone away

Signed ______________________________ (Tween)
    Signed ______________________________ (Parents)
    Date ______________________________

Last edited by Shwa Girl; Fri, Jul 24th, 2015 at 01:59 PM.
    ZumbaQueen, toronto166 and dededi like this.

Proud to be Canadian, eh! ZumbaQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks!
    toronto166 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yah. That probably works as well as the "I will not start smoking." pledge they make in Grade 8!!

But more power to you, at least it's a good place to start and to start conversations with your tween...I'm just glad we didn't have to deal with text messages, photos, etc when our kids were young! It's got to be so difficult now... Just another worry on a parent's plate.
    momof3heathens and toronto166 like this.

Thread Information