User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Favorite camping foods (not the usual hotdogs, etc)

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

We just got a little treailer last fall and have gotten out 3 times so far camping. I LOVE to camp! I could spend weeks at a time if I could.

We have our usual go to snack on stuff.
    Cheese, cracker, pickles, salami.
    And guacamole and chips.

And we usually do one taco dinner because its so easy. And then one night we will cook some meat and shrimp on the bbq and maybe boil some corn. Oh, and I like to fry up mushrooms, onion and jalepeno for on the side. mmmm One of my favorite side dishes.

Looking to mix it up a bit. Anyone have any favorite go to camping food that doesn't take a lot of cleanup after or is good to keep in the fridge or cooler to snack on when in the mood?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by vw_girl; Tue, Jul 28th, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

We did a lot of camping when I was a kid. Most meals were cooked over the campfire or small bbq. We always went somewhere where there was fishing and of course ate fish. For snacks we had watermelon, cookies mom would make and bring along, bread for pb&j sandwiches, nuts, fruit rollups, and granola bars.

Btw, instead of boiling corn on the cob, try soaking it in water the cooking on the bbq. It is so more delicious when cooked with the husk on (can also be done this way in the microwave).

Your excitement makes me miss camping

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I would miss it too! I only wish summer was longer although I don't mind toughing it through rain or a cold spell.

I love corn roasted that way. But right now we are only using a small charcoal bbq so I can only fit one or 2 cobs on along with whatever meat we are cooking. Last time took the little bbq to the beach and caught fresh water clams out of the lake and bbqed them and some corn. It was SO cool, except the clam had too much poop and I was not a fan. Oh well, we had never tried it and were being adventurous. We didnt get sick though!

Forgot about watermelon! I took a pineapple last time and grilled some with our pork chops. Was so good.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Opening a fee-free Tangerine account using my Orange key: 43034602S1 You will receive a $50 bonus from Tangerine. Get another $25 bonus when opening a Savings account and making automatic deposits for 6 months AND get another $25 from me! PM me for details.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

veggie kabobs are delicious over a low heat on a fire (onion, peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes etc.) can eat on their own or with some dip (like salad dressing)

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1_love View Post
    veggie kabobs are delicious over a low heat on a fire (onion, peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes etc.) can eat on their own or with some dip (like salad dressing)
    Mmm, I think that is a great idea. Especially since we are cooking over charcoal. That would be delish. Thanks for the idea. I have great metal skewers with wooden handles too and that would go great with the Maui ribs we have planned.

I think I have my grocery list for the long weekend! This is whne the work days really start to drag.
    dededi, Davetherave and 1_love like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I'm not a big fan of camping but last year one of DH's cousins showed me a great trick for making easy S'mores.

She uses Leclerc Cookies.

Roast a marshmellow and add a cookie on each side and you have your S'more. Super easy and yummy!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I'm not a big fan of camping but last year one of DH's cousins showed me a great trick for making easy S'mores.

She uses Leclerc Cookies.

Roast a marshmellow and add a cookie on each side and you have your S'more. Super easy and yummy!
    Thats brilliant!! I am not a huge smores fan but its nice to have the supplies around in case kids visit and I do like to toast one or 2 marshmellows a trip.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

S'mores and roasted marshmallows for dinner!
    vw_girl, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I don't think I could do it! Way too sweet! I never drink milk but I think I would have to if I had that for dinner. LOL

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We like to cook so we cook fancy when camping too. But since cooler room is precious we prep what we can ahead of time so we don't need to bring everything with us. My man loves to cook meat right on the fire grill.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

So do we! We love our food. We got to cook over the fire or first trip but the fire ban came into effect shortly after and we wont be able to again til late Sept or so. But we started using a little charcoal grill which I fell in love with.

But I am not so much of a prepper, I will pre-marinate meat though. I like to do that all sitting in nature at the picnic table, but it does cause more dishes.

I would love to see any of your meals cooked while camping if you have any pictures......I love food p0rn too!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by vw_girl View Post
    Mmm, I think that is a great idea. Especially since we are cooking over charcoal. That would be delish. Thanks for the idea. I have great metal skewers with wooden handles too and that would go great with the Maui ribs we have planned.

I think I have my grocery list for the long weekend! This is whne the work days really start to drag.
    What are Maui ribs? those sound delicious!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

They are the side cut ribs so the bones are little circles instead of regular ribs. Like:

Name:  01-2015 Short Ribs-1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  46.5 KB

And they are marinated in some tasty sauce....I have only bought them premarinate from a butcher or safeway has them packaged in a bag of marinate. (Sorry I am not certain the brand but they are in the meat section) I have no idea how to make the sauce or what is in them....but they ARE delish!! Quite thin so you basically just sear each side on the grill and they are ready. Seek them out and try them!

If you are in BC Clancy's meats carries them.
    Last edited by vw_girl; Thu, Jul 30th, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
    dededi, Davetherave and 1_love like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Those look so good! I've never had ribs like that before, will definitely look into it. Have a fun weekend!
    vw_girl, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

When our girls were younger we camped every year at different Provincial Parks in Ontario. I loved cooking bacon and eggs on the BBQ just the smell of bacon cooking I can almost smell it now!

We always took Jiffy Popcorn (you know the round pan shaped like a small cake pan with the tin foil that would puff up.) The girls loved cooking it.

I sure do miss camping we will have to do it again soon.
    Coin Out:
    https://coinout.com/referrals/new?r=MZC6CYR

Still paying with PayPal
    http://superpay.me/members/withdraw/list.php?ref=Truckerswife2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information