Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-well don't have polysporin-as I am allergic to it
    -no peroxide either
    -just washed with spectro gel for acne skin -lets see if that helps
    -oh and I have hydrocortisone cream for minor skin irritations may use a bit of that

-thanks for the help ladies

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Oh, CL, your afghans are a work of art! So happy for you, getting that yarn at such a bargain!

That yarn I purchased is loaded in the van, so I can't tell you now what it is...just a sec...I'll check the WM site to see if it's there......gah...had to go to the US WM to find the name of those yarns!

Here it is......that's the boy one. Now...the one I purchased is a HUGE ball...larger than the usual Michaels' balls of Bernat yarns, and to be honest, I'm not even sure it says "Bernat" on it, but all the colours are identical...I think they're done up for WM in particular. They sell for $10 a ball and make the softest little hats!
    I made just over a dozen kids' and adults' hats (adult yarns) last year before I ran out of time...this year I'm getting a big head start!
    I use that wool for blankets 6 balls makes a wonderful adult size snuggle blanket. I did an 8 ball one that almost fits the king -sized bed. This year my mom bfs mom and both our boys are getting one for Christmas. Next year will be a baby one for my future neice /nephew when they are born then 2 of my sisters will get an adult one and hopefully grandma.

I'd also love to sell some eventually.

Oh bernat also has a "blanket" line of the same wool but not baby colors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by saundyl; Thu, Aug 13th, 2015 at 11:09 PM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

So last Saturday we drove 9 hours to join my family camping. BF did go but we did not take the trailer. I paid for part of my mom's site plus a new air mattress for my sister as we all shared the site. Our site was the morning coffee for everyone and sleeping site for 7 of us and 3 pups ( mom 2 sisters bil bf our boy and me). My 3rd sister her husband and two kids had the other site which we all had lunch and supper *community meals and camp fire at.

The flex did well we did approx 2200km and it cost about 250 for the trip.

We did school supplies, camping groceries, home groceries as well as a hotel room in the way home so not 100% frugal.

It was a wonderful trip. I'm still the favourite auntie for my neice she wouldn't leave my side until Wednesday when she found out I was leaving then she wouldn't even look at me for an hour.

I got an email about an interview next week so I'm excited about that.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hello Ladies - Busy Day - I'll catch up with reading tomorrow.
    Ok - I picked up a bunch of Roma tomatoes from a friend's garden today. There must be an easier way to freeze them than the way I picked. I still have half a sink full to finish tomorrow. I made a small X slit in the bottoms, boiled them for 23 seconds, into some ice water - peeled the skins then cut them open and removed the seeds. Then froze the bits in freezer bags.
    Is there a way to freeze them whole? Or a good recipe (minus onions, garlic, sugar) that I could make the sauce now and freeze it?

I know you ladies are a lot more "able" around the kitchen than I am! Any suggestions appreciated.
    I am going to take a pan full of whole ones to the Food Bank tomorrow.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Hello Ladies - Busy Day - I'll catch up with reading tomorrow.
    Ok - I picked up a bunch of Roma tomatoes from a friend's garden today. There must be an easier way to freeze them than the way I picked. I still have half a sink full to finish tomorrow. I made a small X slit in the bottoms, boiled them for 23 seconds, into some ice water - peeled the skins then cut them open and removed the seeds. Then froze the bits in freezer bags.
    Is there a way to freeze them whole? Or a good recipe (minus onions, garlic, sugar) that I could make the sauce now and freeze it?

I know you ladies are a lot more "able" around the kitchen than I am! Any suggestions appreciated.
    I am going to take a pan full of whole ones to the Food Bank tomorrow.
    This recipe is excellent to use up those tomatoes and I freeze the sauce in ziplocs in portions to use in the winter. you can use garlic etc only if you want to, there is a foot note explaining how to make them without!!
    http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com...ato-sauce.html
    Last edited by thriftygranny; Fri, Aug 14th, 2015 at 01:34 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Here's a little update on my veggie garden Luckily it did a lot better than my apple trees lol.

We were away camping from July 31st - Aug 7th and my brother-in-law looked after the garden while we were gone. Before we left we harvested the rest of the lettuce (we took 3 large ziploc bags washed and ready to eat), regular peas, sugar snap peas, green and yellow beans and 2 zucchini and took it all with us.

Since we've been home the lettuce and peas are pretty much done. There's a pretty good variety of veggies ready to eat from the garden now so I'm not really sad that the lettuce is done. I'm kinda saladed out lol.

I was able to pick another basket full of green and yellow beans when we got home and during the week I've also harvested 5 or 6 more zucchini, 3 cucumbers, 3 carrots and a bunch of small tomatoes (they were supposed to be regular tomatoes but for some mysterious reason most of our tomato plants nearly died and only produced very small tomatoes )

We also have some pumpkins and various kinds of winter squash growing and some decent sized green bell peppers. I've been waiting for the bell peppers to turn red before harvesting but that's yet to happen... I'm tempted to pick them green this wknd and use them in chili.

A few weeks ago we planted the rest of the onion bulbs we had and also a row of onion seeds for a fall harvest. Those are growing nicely now so we should have green onions soon. I'm also planning on planting more spinach for a fall harvest since mine bolted over a month ago.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning Ladies (any any gents if they peak in)
    So freaking happy it is Friday, I am so ready for this week to be done. It has been a long but good week, but I will admit I am exhausted. I was in bed before 8 pm last night and still did not want to get up at 5:30 this morning.

We did a small little grocery shop last night, Mom needed to go to Wal-Mart to get her hair dye it was on sale for $9.96 we had $2 off coupons and $2 rebate on snap so she got 4 for $5.96 which is a steal for the brand she now uses. So well we were there I grabbed a few things they had one sale Mushrooms, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes. We will still do a full shop later in the week but figured this was a good start to get us through the weekend as we have not shopped in 2 weeks so our fresh produce is well lacking.

Hoping to have some ambition tonight as I would really like to post some more items for sale, I am cleaning up my room so I can get my new bed (yes I told Mom the "extra" money was going towards my bed and she was actually happy about it) and I am being really realistic on what I am keeping and what can go. Now if we can just do this with the rest of the house.

Have a great day everyone, I have stacks of paper all over my desk calling me.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

QOTD: UCCB

I used most of the UCCB lump sum to pay for summer swimming lessons and gymnastics starting in the fall. Going forward I'd like to open an RESP and put the money into that.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

I just need to survive today and then it's the wknd Daycare business is picking up (finally) and I've had a full house most of the week. Next week is looking pretty much the same. 11 hour days are exhausting and then I signed the girls up for swim lessons from 5:30pm - 6:15pm everyday for 2 weeks - what was I thinking lol.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SA-I am glad to hear you are getting a new bed. Surely if your Mum can afford hair dye( a want) she can afford to kick in for household expenses, groceries etc(needs).

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning! Last day of horrid hotness for us, so yay!

Hope you all have a FAB day!

I need to go through flyers and make my master grocery list - we don't need much, but will see what's on sale.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'm having one of those " what do we really need this week " moods. I made my list yesterday out of habit ( sales for the few things I know we will eventually use/eat ) but my heart is not in it today. ( plus it is raining....sigh....but good for my plants! ) At some point I will have to go out to fill up the vehicle for DH, maybe my mood will change once I'm outside. Enjoy whatever savings you all can find today!!

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF! Reminder that tomorrow is tax free day at RCSS. We don't need much but the flyer deals, coupons and pc pts and tax free day all lined up. Boys like 2 in 1 shampoo. I have been buying the clear Fructas. Its on for $1.97 at Guardian (I think) less $1 each coupon. No tax. And I get 750 PC PTS each ) I plan to buy at least 20! So I will be gathering the coupons tonight (since this is an item we are low on as my stockpile that lasted about 3 years is gone)

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    I use that wool for blankets 6 balls makes a wonderful adult size snuggle blanket. I did an 8 ball one that almost fits the king -sized bed. This year my mom bfs mom and both our boys are getting one for Christmas. Next year will be a baby one for my future neice /nephew when they are born then 2 of my sisters will get an adult one and hopefully grandma.

I'd also love to sell some eventually.

Oh bernat also has a "blanket" line of the same wool but not baby colors.

What a wonderful gift. They would be so soft to snuggle in. I`m sure they`ll love them.

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Good morning ladies

I'm not sure what i'm up to today may get my dd to help take down the cabinet doors in my kitchen as they need a good scrubbing and then painting them.

Next week i'm not home as my DD & SIL are golfing with another couple for the week,nana babysitting sitting the cats lol great some quiet time

As JnC said i can't wait til the grandkids go back to school so i can have some peace and quiet.Well off to clean my bathroom and do a few other things
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information