User Tag List

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow, this is the one I knitted for a friend who loves Tweety Bird. I'm an intermediate/advanced knitter and this one gave me brain freeze! It's not that it's difficult, it's only knit/purl stitches but it's a proctological nuisance since every row is different, no pattern you can sink your teeth into and just knit along....and I took out those two little supposedly "feathers" on the top of his head...I thought they looked dorky.
    http://www.knitwits-heaven.com/yello..._washcloth.htm

But no, it's not hard, you just have to pay REAL close attention. It did turn out perfectly, though..

Try one of those spiral ones...they're so much fun and you'll learn how to knit short rows, too!! It's a fast knit, too!
    They make cute little gifts, too...
    This one's easy and turns out so cute...I'm not much into variegated yarns, but it does work with this one...http://foothillsofthegreatsmokymount...-cloth_25.html
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Aug 27th, 2015 at 02:07 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Popped into Giant Tiger at lunch quick since I decided Burgers on the bbq would be great for dinner tonight! (since we have buns. honey is going to make the awesome potato wedges he makes and the kids love them) So spent $14.61 on burgers (12pk) mini carrots, coffee cream, 2 frozen burittos (Reg $1 on for 50 cents each) for my teen when he is hunting for something to eat late at night. 18 pk eggs $3.67. Will be buying more burger patties I think since they are just beef (not a lot of additives) and it would cost me more at this point to buy beef and make my own. Will still look for beef sales since we love making our own but this will have to do for now.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    just got home from out and about running around
    -got 10.50 for my son from his clothing at plato
    -got the huge bags of robinhood flour 8.88-1.00 cpn=7.88 at foodbasics and coffee too 4.99 after cpn and snapsaves for folgers reg 10.99 when not on sale I got 2
    -gonna bake muffins from scratch -then I freeze a few
    -and help hubby sand the rasiling before we coat the deck on Friday /sat-cool out now -nice break from the heat

-my daughter is 33 today -I called her at 8.00 a.m cause last night she told me she would be doing some work at home from 6.00 a.m to 8.00 a.m before she went into the office
    -then I came up to bed and cried a tear -I am so emotional not cause she is 33 but cause she lives in Toronto -I wish she was here in my city sometimes but hey -just want our grown kids to be happy and she told us she/her hubby will always live there and raise one child there someday
    Aw, Coupon Girl, it must be tough being away from your Daughter; mine is 37 and she's still my baby, even though she's a Wife and Mother. I'm blessed that this house she bought is about 3 blocks from where we lived, and where they live now, and she knows that if they move, we move! Lol....thank goodness we have phones and cell phones so that we can call and chat and text them anytime...I'm sure you two make good use of those toys, too! Texting is just like holding hands...touching base, knowing they're still with us. Or. You could just move!

Almost done here...poor Jenny...she knows that when her Daddy is packing up the van we'll be going to camp and she's at the window and door whining all the time. I swear we could put her in the van to wait for us for an hour and she'd be happy doing just that! LOL!!

Have a wonderful weekend with your family and kids, everyone and take some time off from your frantically productive lives to ... what was the saying Nat posted this morning... Rest, Release, and Relax.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Thu, Aug 27th, 2015 at 02:46 PM.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@Lynn49 That yellow bird dishcloth is so cute.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SA-good for you taking a 4 day weekend! I had a friend who told me you should work to live rather than living to work which I found to be good advice. Her husband is Italian and I think in Europe there is perhpas more time for socializing in the evenings etc with family and friends. Anyway her saying stuck with me and when I did work I did not bring my work home( except maybe once a year) and I also tried not to take too much home stuff to work. The separation and definition of work and home helped me find some balance but might not for everyone else. Of course I still had plenty of TGIF's!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@Lynn49 -- My dog is a whiner too! We took her to the park with us the other day and DS brought a friend so we just sat on the bench with the dog while the boys were off playing. She whined while she watched him run around the park. She whines at the window when she sees someone coming in that she knows (but barks for strangers especially the joggers that run by!) Love that she loves us

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sweet sparrow -I don't know how to knit or crochet -not interested -I have a few totes full of new stuff (baby stuff)my mom made ahead

-lynn -we don't text -my hubby has a cell phone only for emergencies we pay $11.30 a month(with bell -its a plan no longer available ) -no texting
    -and I don't care for one
    -but my daughter does call most every day when she is on her way home from work on the subway or bus then she and I talk

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Lynn that tweety bird dish cloth is so cute. both my mom and grandmother crocheted,i have a doily that my grandmother crocheted yrs ago.I can knit but crochet my fingers get all cramped up.My step father used to knit socks for the boys when he was 10 yrs old I haven't picked up knitting needles in 40 yrs ,i would knit gloves, mittens and scarves and the occasionally hat.Well have to go help a friend out at her work and do some serious cleaning.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

CG-you sound just like us-DH and I share one cell phone( dumb phone not smart phone!) for emergencies or whoever is out in the car at $10.50 per month. We don't text either! Even with a teen we just email from our computer or phone her on her smartphone.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Not so frugal day I'm finding out. Front load washing machine has a small tear in the rubber seal. And this machine is not even two years old! Has anyone here has this issue and fixed it themselves?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Lynn49 have fun camping @SassyAshley congrats on your new bed, I bet you will sleep like "an organized" princess
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

The pears are all laid out on a sheet of plywood in Logan's old room, I will check them daily and turn as needed if needed. Dh has slept most of the day away. So it seems that Monday will be our Costco trip for propane refills, indoor shoes for Logan for school and a surprise of new "football cleats" for Jaden...sigh. I will post his old ones for sale once new ones have been purchased or maybe earlier.

I ordered an xbox1 remote from the source for .96, with taxes a grand total of $1.08, eldest will be getting an xbox1 from my parent for his birthday so this remote will be for his Christmas stocking.

I also purchased 2 addidas shirts from sportchek for youngest they are 1/2 price so $30. for 2 shirts, I normally don't buy name brand clothing, however, the WM kids shirts don't last.

I rec'd my old navy order yesterday, need to send back both pairs of pants as Logan does not like them.

QUESTION ABOUT OLD NAVY RETURNS, do I need to call them and let them know what I am returning and I have the return sticker but does it have to go to the post office or is mailbox okay?

thanks
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I thought I was the only one that didn`t have a smart phone. I have a flip phone for emergencies. It totally bugs me when I`m out with a friend and she keeps checking her phone and texting her daughter. Does she really need to know that she is on her way to Kitchener at 2:00 when they saw each other 3 hours earlier?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Attachment 291521These are the pears that Logan, dh & I picked last night. You may remember I posted on some facebook pages that I was looking for free pears, rhubarb and some veggies.

So far we were blessed with picking this beautiful pear tree and I look to freezing and canning in light syrup once ripe (5-10 days)

Also here is a pick of the strawberry rhubarb another lady gave us last night.

Attachment 291522
    Wow that's alot of pears. I remember when my mom would buy a case of peaches and a case of pears to can. My grandma used to make apple raspberry juice that was such a treat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @jasperandchar : On ripening pears (and most other things), my mom told me to use paper bags, with the fruit inside and the openings folded over. This traps the ethylene gas and ripens the fruit quickly. If you need it done even faster, leave it in a bag with other fruits that produce the same ripening gas, like apples or bananas. Check daily because the process is fairly quick!

Mom never finished high school but she knows her food chemistry. Go figure!

You can get the paper bags at the grocery in the loose mushroom section. I miss the days when there were giant boxes of loose mushrooms. Now they're commonly all saran wrapped in their own containers and not near as fresh.

For the knitters, thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for Michael's sales, but for now, I'm having second thoughts about the pattern. If you use dishcloths or give them as gifts, how large do you make them? I'm looking at a pattern that is 9.5 x 9.5" and I'm thinking that's too big for things like narrow cups and toddler sippy cups.
    Size of my cloths... I never measured! I use a size 7 or 8 needle (whichever is project free) cast on 3 stitches increase each row by one until I reach either 48 or 53 stitches...decrease down to 3 again and cast off. Some are "smaller" which work wonderfully for narrow glasses and kids cups others are larger. It really depends on my mood or who gets it how big they are. Grandma makes her own big ones but likes my small ones for glasses.

I also do one where for 10 rows of 10 stitches include tulle with my cotton to make a scrubbing centre.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast

Thread Information