User Tag List

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Like Tree5718Likes

Thread: August 2015 Frugal Chatter thread

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

My plan was to can apples today but checked in on the pears and 1/3 was ready to be processed. Seemed like forever peeling them and less than 10 minutes to jar them up with another 15 minutes in the hot bath, I used a knife to peel the pears eventhough I did have a potato peeler but it went faster with the knife oh well.

Name:  DSCF5560.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  34.3 KB so 1/3 of the pears gave me 8x 1 litre bottles

So let's just say the apples will be my Tuesday project as we have to venture out tomorrow for tons of long overdue errands.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    591 (100%)

Awesome job JnC they look delicious
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/411352-...-lists-canada/

Please use my ​Orange key when you open a Tangerine account 41140291S1

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I never got around to it but it's next on my ground beef list of things to make, probably next week sometime but it was from that dammed delicious, I've made quite a few recipes from her and they are good I will vouch on that.
    I have the beef out and am making it tomorrow, so I will let you know!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I have posted on here before about selling my red rhubarb. Well a lady that I sold rhubarb to in June got in contact with me again today. She asked if I had more rhubarb, but also asked about the twins. I told her their names and birth weights, that they did great. She said that she understood that I don't really know her, but that she wants to help me with the twins. She offered to come and cuddle the babies, do dishes, or laundry. She is about my grandmother's age and used to be a secretary/bookkeeper at a church. We have exchanged cell phone numbers and she's looking forward to coming to help. I want to get the house cleaned up some before she comes over to help, just one of those things that most women would understand. I'm going to see if she can go grocery shopping with me and the little ones on Tuesday morning to take advantage of the 10% off Tuesday. Dh and I had previously discussed hiring someone to help with some cleaning or to give me a hand with the twins if I was feeling overwhelmed while he was at work.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Sweet Sparrow, this is the one I knitted for a friend who loves Tweety Bird.

Try one of those spiral ones...they're so much fun and you'll learn how to knit short rows, too!! It's a fast knit, too!
    @Lynn49: I was looking at the other yellow bird - Woodstock! My sister is a huge fan. Have you ever tried that one?

My hesitation at trying new ones is that I can never figure out the ends. It doesn't show as much in a chunky yarn, but thinner yarns, yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I thought I was the only one that didn`t have a smart phone.
    @Crochetlady: No smart phone or flip phone here, and I have LO in daycare. Once I leave work until the time I get to the front door, I can't respond if daycare wants to contact me. On weekends, I borrow DH's phone in case I have an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I do have a question for knitters. The thrift store here has loads of needles for a buck, is this a good price and what sizes should I start with.
    I picked up the yarn for the project I wanted and used whatever size it said on the package. I thought it would encourage me to keep going.

@thriftygranny: EW, please NEVER ever post a photo of one of those EVER again without a whole lot of warning!!! I really don't want to google it. What is a wolf spider? Spiders give me the super heebie-jeebies!

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    This was the first time I've screamed over a spider!
    Once I woke to find a spider on my chest. Oh it was soo creepy!!! I brushed it off myself so fast that it flew across the room. After my heart settled down, I realized that it was now freely roaming somewhere in the living room waiting for me.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Mon, Aug 31st, 2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling everyone's name right!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

@thiriftygranny: EW, NEVER ever post a photo of one of those EVER again without a whole lot of warning!!! I really don't want to google it. What is a wolf spider?
    Wolf spiders are unusual because they do not build webs; instead, they hunt for their prey. These spiders can be as large as 3 cm (just over 1 inch) in length and are dark brown in colour. They are generally found on the ground in grasslands, woodland floors, beaches, and gardens. They mostly feed on insects. In the fall, they look for warm places, so they are more likely to enter our homes around that time.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Nice to see sun this morning, hopefully the smoke will stay away.

Just wanted to make a 'baking' note - had marshmallows to use up, so wanted to make Rice Krispies treats last night. I had gotten two boxes of the vanilla on a BOGO and hadn't opened them yet, so was going to use that.

Well, they aren't just vanilla-flavoured RK - they are a bigger shape, very crispy and really sweet.
    So although the squares kind of taste the same, they are very crunchy! Not that I mind, it's just very different.

Just looked up the nutrition - the vanilla has 10g sugar, normal is 3g

Have a great day, everyone!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I have posted on here before about selling my red rhubarb. Well a lady that I sold rhubarb to in June got in contact with me again today. She asked if I had more rhubarb, but also asked about the twins. I told her their names and birth weights, that they did great. She said that she understood that I don't really know her, but that she wants to help me with the twins. She offered to come and cuddle the babies, do dishes, or laundry. She is about my grandmother's age and used to be a secretary/bookkeeper at a church. We have exchanged cell phone numbers and she's looking forward to coming to help. I want to get the house cleaned up some before she comes over to help, just one of those things that most women would understand. I'm going to see if she can go grocery shopping with me and the little ones on Tuesday morning to take advantage of the 10% off Tuesday. Dh and I had previously discussed hiring someone to help with some cleaning or to give me a hand with the twins if I was feeling overwhelmed while he was at work.
    How wonderful!!! I too have had offers to help (more than when I had my first) and am taking them now that I have 3! My mom is taking my oldest for the afternoon tomorrow. Every little bit helps. I highly recommend a cleaner...even if only once a month. Has given me so much peace of mind until routines settle. Ours is $50 for 3 hours.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Ewwwww!!! I've only seen them at their largest size! One was in my rented room at school, two when we were renting an apartment, and then one in our basement here. Those things really look terrifying.

My only excuse is a series of traumatizing incidents when I was a small child. I actually considered a counsellor for the phobia at one point, but she was $60/hour and I went two or three times before I decided I just couldn't afford it.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Ewwwww!!! I've only seen them at their largest size! One was in my rented room at school, two when we were renting an apartment, and then one in our basement here. Those things really look terrifying.

My only excuse is a series of traumatizing incidents when I was a small child. I actually considered a counsellor for the phobia at one point, but she was $60/hour and I went two or three times before I decided I just couldn't afford it.
    Sorry didn't even think of phobias when I posted the picture. I have the same unreasonable fear of mice.If the spiders you were seeing were much bigger they were probably the wolf spider's cousin the dock or wharf spider, they are big and common in Ontario.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Sorry didn't even think of phobias when I posted the picture. I have the same unreasonable fear of mice.If the spiders you were seeing were much bigger they were probably the wolf spider's cousin the dock or wharf spider, they are big and common in Ontario.
    Oh goodness, please don't say there's anything larger! *Faint*

Mice I can handle as long as they don't dart at me, which they always do when they're frightened. If they startle me, I'm on the chair too. I need a cat! My previous long-haired cat would try to step on any bugs, but there was so much fur between her pads, it was like gently putting cotton over them. My brave girl.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    How wonderful!!! I too have had offers to help (more than when I had my first) and am taking them now that I have 3! My mom is taking my oldest for the afternoon tomorrow. Every little bit helps. I highly recommend a cleaner...even if only once a month. Has given me so much peace of mind until routines settle. Ours is $50 for 3 hours.
    She enthusiastically agreed to the grocery shopping trip tomorrow. We'll see how things go with her help over the next while. As I've said before, both dh and my families live 5+hrs away so we won't be getting any help from them.

One friend's wife baked some buns and cinnamon buns that she shared with us this week. He has offered to give a hand, but he's not comfortable with babies. He did offer to make short runs to the store for me.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend. Tonight I plan on prepping food for the week and power cleaning since I will have the house to myself for a few hours. I spent so much on groceries this weekend that will do us well for the month I figure so I have to prep and plan it properly. I still need to go to Walmart and get cheese. Cheese makes many meals wonderful (especially in winter lol) I grabbed a few books at COLES for Christmas so need to put them in the Christmas box. The socks on sale at Costco was great (6 pk of PUMA for $6.99 reg $9.99) Had my teen pick up 2 packs so he is good for awhile for sure now. I grabbed one for myself. Tonight I hope to get lots done around the house. Will change as soon as I walk in the door and get at it! Laundry/ make beds, vacuum, dust, clean all bathrooms, put away new stuff bought yesterday, go through everyones underwear drawers and clean them out, grab back packs and school supplies and get them ready. Get DS's gym bag ready, prep food for the week!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    Wolf spiders are unusual because they do not build webs; instead, they hunt for their prey. These spiders can be as large as 3 cm (just over 1 inch) in length and are dark brown in colour. They are generally found on the ground in grasslands, woodland floors, beaches, and gardens. They mostly feed on insects. In the fall, they look for warm places, so they are more likely to enter our homes around that time.
    They seem to be appearing more here this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Yesterday we went to Goderich to our fave Chinese restaurant. When we came home I noticed I had a half flat tire. Hubby went out this morning to blow it up...we`ve had a slow leak but they were unable to find it last time. This time he said the valve stem is broken. Thank God for good neighbours...he`s taking hubby and the tire to get it repaired.

Got my yarn shipment from Yarnspirations this morning. I hate paying in US $$$ but there is a colour I can only get there. I had ordered when they had a 30% off $100 sale on so it still cost me what I would have paid in Canada. I always order enough to get free shipping too. With this and what I got at Spinrite I spent about $600 on yarn this month. Won`t have to buy any more this year.
    @jasperandchar Those pears look yummy. I still haven`t made it out to the garden to check on the rhubarb.

I`m busy working on fall towels to get them in the stores next week. Also have to do at least 2 afghans...hung the last blue one this month and am working on a pink one. I need more hours in a day or need to use my time more wisely. I`m finding that since the flareup I had last fall, I need to take longer and more frequent breaks.
    @Sweets parrow I`ve never seen a wolf spider and hope I never do. I have a phobia of snakes. When I was little I was trapped on the front porch by one. I can`t even look at a picture of a snake.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Thread Information