• 4 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 2 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By bargain_hunter_lola

Thread: Changes to Cineplex Scene Points coming this November (2015)

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Just read an article that says Cineplex will be increasing SCENE point redemption on premium tickets as of November 4, 2015.

Excerpt from the article:

"Cineplex is moving to devalue its Scene loyalty program, with big point increases to premium movie tickets set to take effect this fall.Currently, Scene members can exchange 1,000 points for any tier of ticket, including regular admission, 3D films, IMAX, UltraAVX, D-Box and VIP. As of Nov. 4, the redemption costs on premium tickets will be going up between 50 and 100 per cent.
    VIP tickets will require 2,000 Scene points while all other premium tickets will cost 1,500. Regular admission tickets will still require 1,000 points.
    Ticket prices can differ across the country. In Toronto, adult VIP and IMAX admission generally has a cash value of $19.99, AVX and 3D are $15.99, D-Box are $20.99 and general admission are $12.99. "

From the picture posted it looks like premium movies will also receive more points when purchased (not sure if this is current as I haven't seen a "premium" movie in ages).

Full article found online at: http://alphabeatic.com/scene-points/

This thread is currently associated with: Cineplex & Scene Rewards
    walkonby, Shwa Girl, Cake and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thanks.
    I wonder if this already started. We went to see a movie a couple of weeks ago. The only one available was the 3D version. They told us we needed more points for 3D

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

so for an adult 3D you get an extra 50 points but a kid you only get an extra 25 points?.. it's the same cost for the upgrade (usually around $3 each)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This won't REALLY affect my movie-going habits. And I don't think it's "unfair". and NO I'm NOT a shill for Cineplex... (far from it!) but hear me out.

The calculation... as it is TODAY is like this:
    I earn 100 Scene points for a ticket whenever I go see a movie.
    It costs me 1000 points to go see a movie on points alone.

So basically you have to go to 10 movies (of any type) to earn ONE free movie (of any type) [Note: This is based on ticket purchases alone... not bonus points for online, concessions, TimePlay, etc]

So, yes... you can certainly take advantage of the system if you go to 10 general movies... take your 1000 points and go to a 3D, UltraAVX or IMAX movie for free. And yes, it feels like a "win" when you do... and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. However, let's look at the opposite scenario, shall we...

If I go to 10 Premium movies (3D, UltraAVX, or IMAX) at $18each, and then I want to go see a movie on points, that's NOT an IMAX, I feel cheated. I paid more up front to earn the same amount of points to go see a 'lesser value' presentation. Is that right or fair?

One could argue that to be more "fair", the amount of points I earn should be based on the normal ticket price for that type of movie (ie: general vs. premium vs. VIP)

Granted it's your choice to redeem or not to redeem your 1000pts how you see fit, but I only see this change as leveling the playing field. It's not REALLY making it that much worse for the customer.

So now, if you pay more for a movie... you earn more. And rightly so, that since the value of the premium viewing is more. -- and that being said, it should "cost" more points to see a premium movie also -- to be "fair".

I dont really see the argument that Cineplex is really "screwing" us here. (as is the sentiment online)

-- Added after post:

What they OUGHT to do, if they want to make it even MORE fair -- is start dishing the extra point values (150 for premium and 200 points VIP) immediately... so that in the interim, any movies I see between now and November 4th, will be earned appropriately for the new redemption rules then.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Aug 6th, 2015 at 02:36 PM.
    walkonby and Glendon Preece like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Thanks.
    I wonder if this already started. We went to see a movie a couple of weeks ago. The only one available was the 3D version. They told us we needed more points for 3D
    I suspect the person who told you that was confused. It happens often when they get the internal memos. They often think it takes place immediately and probably missed the actual start date.

I just redeemed 1000 points for a 3D UltraAVX movie on the weekend. Conicidentally, the person who sold me the ticket thought the same thing (that perhaps it had already begun), but they asked someone else if that had started yet, before they told me I couldnt. -- and they didnt because it hadnt.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Aug 6th, 2015 at 02:26 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

@bhlombardy

I do agree with you on a lot of points.

It doesn't affect me as I don't go to 3D, IMAX, etc. but I think it will affect a lot of people so the advanced warning is nice.

For me it's not a matter of Cineplex "screwing us" (I've never actually seen that expressed by anyone yet) but rather a change in the terms/usage which should be advertised so users can react as they see fit (whether it be using all the points now on 3D, IMAX, etc or what have you).

As I said I only go to regular movies which earn the standard 100 points per movie. I also only redeem on regular nights to get my money's worth from those points (ie, I won't use them on a Tuesday cheap night, etc.).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    This won't REALLY affect my movie-going habits. And I don't think it's "unfair". and NO I'm NOT a shill for Cineplex... (far from it!) but hear me out.
    My biggest complaint about how Scene Points are handed out in their asinine per-transaction calculation...

EXAMPLE:
    If I buy ONE (1) adult ticket... I get 100 scene points. Right. That's how it's advertised. "100 points per adult ticket."

However, I buy say, TWO adult tickets on a single transaction, I still only get 100 points... not 100 per ticket... not 200 points ... ONLY 100 points.

A staffer at the theatre explained to me that it's because you can add additional scene cards to a single transaction so everyone in your party gets their points." [HA! -- Not on my watch! If I'm paying for them, I get the points.] -- but I agree that's a nice possibility. But if I/we opt NOT to do that, then all the points should go to the ONLY Scene membership given at the time. Not throw away the unclaimed points.

If, however, I buy TWO (2) tickets, and make TWO (2) separate transactions... I get 100 points for each ticket bought in each transaction, and I get the 200 points I deserve.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Aug 6th, 2015 at 02:43 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    @bhlombardy

For me it's not a matter of Cineplex "screwing us" (I've never actually seen that expressed by anyone yet)
    True... I shouldnt have used the quote marks. But it is the sentiment that's been expressed by a number of people in other forums and articles.

@bhlombardy

...rather a change in the terms/usage which should be advertised so users can react as they see fit (whether it be using all the points now on 3D, IMAX, etc or what have you).

Agreed. 90 days notice is plenty of time for people to decide on what they want to do with their current points.

Although, while I was aware of this on the weekend, I'm surprised I haven't gotten email from Scene regarding the change in terms so that, as you mentioned, most could be well informed.

What they OUGHT to do, if they want to make it even MORE fair -- is start dishing the extra point values (150 for premium and 200 points VIP) immediately... so that in the interim, any movies I see between now and November 4th, will be earned appropriately for the new redemption rules then.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Aug 6th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    so for an adult 3D you get an extra 50 points but a kid you only get an extra 25 points?.. it's the same cost for the upgrade (usually around $3 each)
    Yea, but their glasses are smaller... so there's that.

Kidding aside, it's not about the $3 upgrade (which I dont think they seperate it that way anymore).

Everything about the earning Child admissions is that they are half of that of an adult.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    My biggest complaint about how Scene Points are handed out in their asinine per-transaction calculation...

However, I buy say, TWO adult tickets on a single transaction, I still only get 100 points... not 100 per ticket... not 200 points ... ONLY 100 points.

A staffer at the theatre explained to me that it's because you can add additional scene cards to a single transaction so everyone in your party gets their points." [HA! -- Not on my watch! If I'm paying for them, I get the points.] -- but I agree that's a nice possibility. But if I/we opt NOT to do that, then all the points should go to the ONLY Scene membership given at the time. Not throw away the unclaimed points.

If, however, I buy TWO (2) tickets, and make TWO (2) separate transactions... I get 100 points for each ticket bought in each transaction, and I get the 200 points I deserve.
    to get around this i got a card for both me and my hubby so that way the points stay within the family...

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

DH and I also have our own cards. I'm sure it looks silly that we go up and pay separately but hey, I want those points! lol

DH went to a 3D movie a few months ago and used one of those movie ticket freebies (like the kind you used to get from icoke/m&m's etc) and he was charged an extra $3 for the movie. I wonder if that's where the confusion is coming from? Points currently covers the upgrade, while promo tickets don't?

And yes I would think they should be sending out emails or texts to current members. I keep getting texts from SCENE about promotions (ie, come see this movie for extra scene points) but haven't received one about the point change. I was in the theatre 2 weeks ago and saw no signage, etc.
    sweetmomma likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

DH and I also have our own cards. I'm sure it looks silly that we go up and pay separately but hey, I want those points! lol

DH went to a 3D movie a few months ago and used one of those movie ticket freebies (like the kind you used to get from icoke/m&m's etc) and he was charged an extra $3 for the movie. I wonder if that's where the confusion is coming from? Points currently covers the upgrade, while promo tickets don't?

And yes I would think they should be sending out emails or texts to current members. I keep getting texts from SCENE about promotions (ie, come see this movie for extra scene points) but haven't received one about the point change. I was in the theatre 2 weeks ago and saw no signage, etc.
    I got this email on Aug 7th

we want to make you aware of an upcoming change. Starting November 4, 2015, you will earn and redeem SCENE® points based on the movie experience you choose:
    On Child Movie Tickets, you will still earn 50 points for a General Admission movie ticket and starting November 4 – 75 points for a Premium movie ticket. Keep in mind – you'll still be able to earn points on your own ticket and up to 2 child tickets per transaction.

There will be no change to the way you earn with your Scotiabank® SCENE VISA* card. You'll still earn points on your everyday purchases as before – while continuing to earn 5X the points on every purchase you make in theatre#.

Don't forget, as a SCENE member, you still get these great benefits:
    Saving 10% on your movie snacks
    Saving 10% more on your already discounted Tuesday movie tickets^
    Get 50 bonus points when you see a movie with at least one member of your SCENEtourage
    Last edited by walkonby; Sun, Aug 9th, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

you should be able to present them with both cards when you buy both tickets and get the points for each ticket on each card (aka buy two tickets they scan two cards you will get 100 points on each card) i've done this in the past and it's worked out this way.. though if your also buying a kids ticket you don't get to decide who gets the extra 50 points it just goes on whatever card

i've also purchased tickets online in one transaction to a similar effect (enter both scene cards buy two tickets and get points on each account for the ticket)

Thread Information