User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Attitude of Millenials....Sick of it

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Speaking personally (and aren't we all) I am very proud of my milenial son and of 4 of my milenial nieces/nephews. All are working or going to school. No major debt for any of them (except a mortgage for 1 and a car loan for the other).
    They are considerate at family events and they are always willing to help out when someone needs a roof done or needs a ride.
    Of course they did not have "vice delusional upbringings". (Sorry couldn't resist).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    Have you ever told your boss / company that respect is a 2 way street when they are paying you a wage, and you are using company equipment?

Nobody will ever admit to being an entitlement monster in public, but there are various facets of it ranging from: money from the Govt, free dinner dates, spousal support, etc
    ummm..I never mentioned anything about respect?
    But to answer your question, no, I was brought up with good morals and values.
    Ciel and bargain_hunter_lola like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

^ I am going to hazard a guess then that you don't "lump" different racial groups into a pigeon-hole then, or is that different? If you sincerely tell me that you don't, then you and I are on the same wavelength., Well of course this topic is not one that most people will honestly admit to in public. Oh, needless to say there are things that are both psotive and negative about all groups...but somehow that usually seems to not click with a certain group.

Anyway....I maintain my stance about *most* millenials. Next time you are out and about, carry out an observation and you might just see what am talking about.

- Sense of no urgency (hospitality and sales outlets)
    - lack of teamwork e.g a co-worker is swamp and they aren't busy
    - oblivious to what is happening around them
    I think you are correct when you mentioned most millenials. Here is the evidence from research, studying 9 million US high school students, and from studies between 1980 and 2000:
    A story in Time magazine said polls show that Millennials "want flexible work schedules, more 'me time' on the job, and nearly nonstop feedback and career advice from managers." Another Time story in May 2013 was harsher. Titled "The Me Me Me Generation," it begins: "They’re narcissistic. They’re lazy. They’re coddled. They’re even a bit delusional. Those aren’t just unfounded negative stereotypes about 80 million Americans born roughly between 1980 and 2000. They’re backed up by a decade of sociological research."
    One 2012 study found Millennials to be "more civically and politically disengaged, more focused on materialistic values, and less concerned about helping the larger community than were GenX (born 1962-1981) and Baby Boomers (born 1946 to about 1961) at the same ages," according to USA Today. "The trend is more of an emphasis on extrinsic values such as money, fame, and image, and less emphasis on intrinsic values such as self-acceptance, group affiliation and community." The study was based on an analysis of two large databases of 9 million high school seniors or entering college students.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Aug 10th, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    What happened to this reporter has happened to me before in a crowd. It was a man much older than me. My husband was standing right there. It's disgusting people in every generation, not an entire age group that is the problem

Anyone could say baby boomers are entitled pension hounds who hog up social services and ruined the economy for everyone. Or I could say Generation Xers are slackers. But those would be ridiculous statements because you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

I'm a millennial. I've worked my butt off since I was 16. My husband works 80 hours a week. Sounds like people who don't want to work to you? The description you mention in post number 8 could describe the teenage slacker stereotype (and I stress stereotype) for any generation. I'm sure people said the same thing about teens in the 1950s, 1970s, 1990s.

Respect is a two way street. You don't respect a millennial, do you think they will respect you in return?
    Exactly. You will find bad apples across all generations. Generalizing and lumping an entire group under a label and stereotyping them say a lot about the person doing it. Ironic!
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Other evidence has found that minority millennials tend to not fit the sterotype and are more hard working.

Other evidence has stated that parents are highly involved in the millennial's life, including attending job interviews and seeking jobs for their children as the child goes into their 20s
    Journal of Business Psychology, June 2010
    For both parents and Millennials, the first job is expected to be the “initial payoff for all the planning, stress, and shared ambition” (Howe and Strauss 2003, p. 133) they have endured; so parents take an active role in their children’s lives and continue to push them to achieve personal, material success. As previously mentioned, Millennials are eager to develop close relationships with their supervisors whom many consider to be their workplace parents, according to the popular literature (Alsop 2008).
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Aug 10th, 2015 at 01:10 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I am a Millennial (I had to Google that.....), born 1990.
    I got my first job at 15, was working 2 FULL-TIME jobs at the age of 17-18 (I graduated school early, at 16, and back-then, I could go on 3 hours of sleep...ah, the good ol' days lmao), bought my first house 2 days before my 18th birthday (with my mom as my co-signer, since she and my sister lived there, but I paid half the 'mortgage', rent-to-own, and majority of bills, like cable, internet, water, etc etc). Paid my own cell-phone (and my mother's and sister's) starting at 16, I actually only had a cellphone at 14, I believe, and it was pay-as-you-go, for emergencies, since we lived in the Country.
    I worked very hard, until I moved to Canada. I couldn't get a job here before my worker's permit, and once I got that, I was already fairly far into my high-risk pregnancy. Now, I work hard at being a mom and home-maker. I do make jewelry, hair-accessories and costumes and such, but my main job is being a mom.

Stereo-typing is mostly negative. Even with a positive one (ex. Asians are good at math, anyone?), you can find a way to take it poorly (maybe you're making a person feel bad since they actually are NOT good at math, hmmmm?).

People were idiots before, people are idiots now, people will continue to be idiots. Generation has nothing to do with it.
    Just like people can be cranky without being old, lazy without being young, etc etc etc etc.
    Put it down to a bad person that did this stupid thing (yes, sexual assault! do not touch someone unless you have permission!), not the age.
    Lori, c_mcarthur, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants over their teachers." ..attributed to Socrates.

I guess this was a problem 2500 years ago.
    Last edited by Cake; Mon, Aug 10th, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
    Natalka, Ciel, kidsteph and 3 others like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^OK...just to clarify a point from the post above, being a parent "is not a full-time job" unless of course the child has special needs. Having kids will always be a choice, and earning to survive is a need for all of us. Somehow most parents manage to hold down a demanding professional career (I am one ), still carry out chores at home, and be a parent (a single one at that and NO I don't receive child support and instead pay it to the other parent)

Obviously we are learning here that this topic about entitlement, is not sitting well with some people...so perhaps next time when a topic that targets a different group of people, people will be aware that stereotyping is such a bad thing in general, and not just when it applies to a certain topic.
    Ciel likes this.

Harley
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I don't believe we should lump everyone into the same category, but I also know what you are saying and agree. My mother and I went shopping the other day and she lives on the third floor of an apartment building, which has security doors. She is 73. We both had our hands full of groceries and trying to handle the doors. Two young women who did not live there were standing in front of the doors but instead of saying can I hold the door for you, they half blocked them and waited for us to struggle through and then grabbed the door before it shut so they could get into the building. To me that is just plain rude.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I suspect this is just trolling. Now they OP is just saying things that aren't even related to the thread topic, just to inflame people.
    ^OK...just to clarify a point from the post above, being a parent "is not a full-time job" unless of course the child has special needs. Having kids will always be a choice, and earning to survive is a need for all of us. Somehow most parents manage to hold down a demanding professional career (I am one ), still carry out chores at home, and be a parent (a single one at that and NO I don't receive child support and instead pay it to the other parent)

Obviously we are learning here that this topic about entitlement, is not sitting well with some people...so perhaps next time when a topic that targets a different group of people, people will be aware that stereotyping is such a bad thing in general, and not just when it applies to a certain topic.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I could say the same thing about the 50 year old man who was about 3 meters away from me and saw me face plant on the street with bags of groceries and couldn't bat an eye lash to help me up or ask me how I was doing. Jerks exist in all age groups
    Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    I don't believe we should lump everyone into the same category, but I also know what you are saying and agree. My mother and I went shopping the other day and she lives on the third floor of an apartment building, which has security doors. She is 73. We both had our hands full of groceries and trying to handle the doors. Two young women who did not live there were standing in front of the doors but instead of saying can I hold the door for you, they half blocked them and waited for us to struggle through and then grabbed the door before it shut so they could get into the building. To me that is just plain rude.
    Crochetlady, Ciel, GoJays and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Locked, this has gone off topic and is not something people will ever agree on
    Lori, Ciel, Midnightly and 4 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information