User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Attitude of Millenials....Sick of it

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Social media seems to have created a monster in millenials. A lot of people in their early 20s and 30s today have a serious sense of entitlement (some won't admit it), are oblivious to everything around them (have you tried to get through when they stand there with friends on head buried in their phone?), and don't want to have to work for money.

Early this year we saw a Hydro One employee get shamed and fired from his job, for saying the despicable words ..."FHRITP" live on here to a female report (Shawna Hunt). I mean why on earth anybody will think this is funny, is beyond me....not even a toddler will do something so daft.

It's not just the guys acting like this, females have been known to try and be like the guys...giving a 1 finger salute, flashing their b**bs, or lifting up their skirts in public (and NO it's not just young girls doing this).

Latest incident happened on Friday at a music festival...watch for yourself. This is clearly sexual harassment, and he could have been a nut job carrying a knife.

SQUAMISH, B.C. – Another television reporter doing a live report received a jarring distraction after a man kissed her on the cheek.
    CBC reporter Megan Batchelor was covering a music festival in Squamish, B.C., north of Vancouver, on Friday when the incident happened.
    Batchelor, who worked for Global until May 2015, was doing a live hit for the network’s 6 p.m newscast when video the network aired shows the man came up from behind, kissed her on the cheek and took a selfie.
    The CBC quotes Batchelor as saying she was “rattled” by the encounter and felt like the unidentified man was trying to interfere with her ability to do her job.
    The broadcaster is reporting that Batchelor has made a complaint to the RCMP and the network is asking anyone who knows the identity of the man to contact police.
    The CBC said in an emailed statement on Sunday that Friday’s incident is another example of a disturbing trend and the network will do everything it can to ensure its journalists are safe when reporting from the field.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2155284/co...mish-festival/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    strew and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agreed
    Ciel likes this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

As with anything I don't think it's fair to generalize. There may be some (perhaps even a large amount) of Millennials that don't behave as they should but the same can be said about almost any generation. There will always be an older generation looking down and disapproving.

I had to look up the exact dates of what qualifies as "Millenials" and I guess I miss it by one year depending on which definition you use. I don't have a smartphone, I don't participate in social media, I've never flashed anyone (even though it's legal in Ontario for Women to go topless), and I certainly don't think I'm "entitled". We don't have many new items but what we do have we have WORKED hard for and sacrificed other things to be able to have them.

I agree that the comments/actions of the 2 individuals you mentioned are completely inappropriate, but as I said before I think it's unfair to generalize all Millenials. JMHO.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Nowhere in my post did I use the word ALL. Again, many of them just want things given to them, with a few actually willing to take menial summer jobs and weekend jobs to pay for their own cellphone and clothes. We live in a society where stereotypes determines how some people think...I am NOT one of those people e.g. when a minority does something wrong v when a Caucasian does something wrong....you get my drift.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Sorry if you're offended but my post. It was not my intent.

By the title and tone of your article it sounded like you dislike millennials, rather than a certain type of person.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Ciel, francine1985, salady and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm a millennial and i agree with what is being said
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
    My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i do believe there's a bit of a disconnect between the generations.. and i hate lumping one whole generation into a group.. there can be things about all generational groups that are both positive and negative... i'm borderline a millennial (i graduated in 2000 at the very start of the new millennium) and i don't think i fall into the category (i consider myself polite, always say thank you when someone holds open a door for me, and never push my way through, i just got a cellphone a year ago-and use it soo rarely the $100 credit we put on it lasted over a year, always ontime as i find it disrespectful to be late, i've never flashed anyone...)

and while i think the actions that you mentioned are not ok..but i don't think you can blame it on a generation, people have been flashing cameras since cameras became common place and there has always been people who did and will do stupid things there was vandalism in the 50's.. it's just now that everything can go viral instantly and cameras everywhere to catch these things, media is live streamed so things that could be edited are now running live (you also no longer have to think "i only have 12 pictures left on my roll of film" then pay to develop them so you have to pace yourself now you can now take thousands without a bat of an eye)
    Ciel, DianneS and torontogal12 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^ I am going to hazard a guess then that you don't "lump" different racial groups into a pigeon-hole then, or is that different? If you sincerely tell me that you don't, then you and I are on the same wavelength., Well of course this topic is not one that most people will honestly admit to in public. Oh, needless to say there are things that are both psotive and negative about all groups...but somehow that usually seems to not click with a certain group.

Anyway....I maintain my stance about *most* millenials. Next time you are out and about, carry out an observation and you might just see what am talking about.

- Sense of no urgency (hospitality and sales outlets)
    - lack of teamwork e.g a co-worker is swamp and they aren't busy
    - oblivious to what is happening around them
    Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I will need to wholeheartedly disagree with you. The reckless type of behavior you refer to has been prevalent across generations and is not a new phenomena with millenials. We just see it as it happens because of social media. That includes the good, the bad and the ugly. Saying that people dont want to work or are lazy is completely inaccurate (I'm sure there are a few people living in their parent's basement playing video games all day, but that has to be a minority right?). This is a generation of self-starters. There are more entrepreneurs now than ever before - young people have changed the way we communicate, the way we think and the way we approach things.
    I think you may be referring to isolated incidents when you give your examples -- we all come across people we want to shake and rattle at times, but I dont think they are all 20-30yr olds

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

What happened to this reporter has happened to me before in a crowd. It was a man much older than me. My husband was standing right there. It's disgusting people in every generation, not an entire age group that is the problem

Anyone could say baby boomers are entitled pension hounds who hog up social services and ruined the economy for everyone. Or I could say Generation Xers are slackers. But those would be ridiculous statements because you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

I'm a millennial. I've worked my butt off since I was 16. My husband works 80 hours a week. Sounds like people who don't want to work to you? The description you mention in post number 8 could describe the teenage slacker stereotype (and I stress stereotype) for any generation. I'm sure people said the same thing about teens in the 1950s, 1970s, 1990s.

Respect is a two way street. You don't respect a millennial, do you think they will respect you in return?
    Last edited by torontogal12; Mon, Aug 10th, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    I'm a millennial and i agree with what is being said
    Thanks for speaking up.
    They were talking about millennials this morning on the radio. There is an article entitled Three reasons millenials are being fired. They checked with 28,000 bosses.
    1. employers don't want to be parents
    2. the anti work attitude is not appreciated or tolerated
    3. millenials' happiness in not the employers responsibility

http://www.inc.com/jt-odonnell/3-rea...ing-fired.html
    Ciel and Durham Couponer like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ironically...only a few minorities. I am sure you know a lot of young people with cellphones that don't pay the bills, that have mom&dad drive them everywhere (mostly moms guilty of this because they want to be "friends" with their kids) because they are too cool to take the bus. Only want to work in clothing / electronics stores vice macdonalds/wendy

Still think am pulling this out of where the sun don't shine? This article obviously doesn't concur with you, and I didn't even write it. I had a step daughter who I see go from 6yrs old to 20, and now she is realizing that all the work ethic and reality I tried to instil in her vice delusional upbringing she was getting from elsewhere, is actually how life is. Your boss is not going to be your friend like Mommy, bills have to be paid, nobody is going to give you money for nothing in the real world.

Respect is a two way street...tell that to your boss that pays your wages. If you won't do the work, you will be replaced. Millenials are used to having mommy do their laundry, feed them, give them what they ask, and a lot of them don't even have the decency to help do chores i.e. laundry, cut the grass, wash dishes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by d.ot View Post
    I will need to wholeheartedly disagree with you. The reckless type of behavior you refer to has been prevalent across generations and is not a new phenomena with millenials. We just see it as it happens because of social media. That includes the good, the bad and the ugly. Saying that people dont want to work or are lazy is completely inaccurate (I'm sure there are a few people living in their parent's basement playing video games all day, but that has to be a minority right?). This is a generation of self-starters. There are more entrepreneurs now than ever before - young people have changed the way we communicate, the way we think and the way we approach things.
    I think you may be referring to isolated incidents when you give your examples -- we all come across people we want to shake and rattle at times, but I dont think they are all 20-30yr olds
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    Ironically...only a few minorities. I am sure you know a lot of young people with cellphones that don't pay the bills, that have mom&dad drive them everywhere (mostly moms guilty of this because they want to be "friends" with their kids) because they are too cool to take the bus. Only want to work in clothing / electronics stores vice macdonalds/wendy

Still think am pulling this out of where the sun don't shine? This article obviously doesn't concur with you, and I didn't even write it. I had a step daughter who I see go from 6yrs old to 20, and now she is realizing that all the work ethic and reality I tried to instil in her vice delusional upbringing she was getting from elsewhere, is actually how life is. Your boss is not going to be your friend like Mommy, bills have to be paid, nobody is going to give you money for nothing in the real world.

Respect is a two way street...tell that to your boss that pays your wages. If you won't do the work, you will be replaced. Millenials are used to having mommy do their laundry, feed them, give them what they ask, and a lot of them don't even have the decency to help do chores i.e. laundry, cut the grass, wash dishes, etc.
    Seems to me you are referring to parents that enable their children?
    If you have bills to pay and you're an adult, then you hussle and do what needs to get done lol
    If the parent treats their 20-30 yr old like a kid, then that's what you get...

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have you ever told your boss / company that respect is a 2 way street when they are paying you a wage, and you are using company equipment?

Nobody will ever admit to being an entitlement monster in public, but there are various facets of it ranging from: money from the Govt, free dinner dates, spousal support, etc

If you have bills to pay and you're an adult, then you hussle and do what needs to get done lol
    If the parent treats their 20-30 yr old like a kid, then that's what you get...
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    I am sure you know a lot of young people with cellphones that don't pay the bills, that have mom&dad drive them everywhere (mostly moms guilty of this because they want to be "friends" with their kids) because they are too cool to take the bus. Only want to work in clothing / electronics stores vice macdonalds/wendy

. Millenials are used to having mommy do their laundry, feed them, give them what they ask, and a lot of them don't even have the decency to help do chores i.e. laundry, cut the grass, wash dishes, etc.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Are there spoiled brats that are Millennials? Absolutely, but hasn't there been spoiled brats in EVERY generation?

Perhaps the fact that there's so many Millennials is why people see it more often?

I personally think there's a gap (or disconnect if you like) between generations. Many people in younger generations have different beliefs/values than older generations (again this happens with every generation).

I found this article interesting: http://www.quintcareers.com/Gen-Y_workforce.html
    Ciel, Midnightly and torontogal12 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information