Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TorontoRaptors
  • 1 Post By TorontoRaptors
  • 2 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 2 Post By TorontoRaptors

Thread: Our own SC SEED TRADE.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So first of all I'd like to start by giving credit to Anna Michele for suggesting I start this thread.

Have you ever participated in a community seed swap? If not, you’re missing out on a great gardening resource — and a ton of fun, too. There are lots of benefits to swapping seeds with neighbors.

So the idea behind this thread is simple, a SEED EXCHANGE or SEED TRADE. I think this will provide us a space here on SC to exchange seeds amongst ourselves. It could provide us a place where users can offer seeds for trade or make requests for seeds they are seeking. Items for sale I do NOT think should be permitted.
    Swapping seeds is of great cultural significance for many of the people involved, because it allows a culture which has become widely distributed, to continue to grow the food they are accustomed to, foods which often have great significance, and for which seeds are often transported over great distances.

At local seed exchanges, you can give and receive hard-to-find and unusual garden seeds and plants, such as rare heirloom vegetables or beautiful unique flowers.
    One of the biggest rules though should be to label all seeds! It is the worst when you have seeds and you wonder what they belong too (sometimes hard to distinguish between variety for things like hot peppers).
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    avoncallingu likes this.
    Lots of people know how to make money, but are not gifted in the art of preserving it. Smart Canuckers are different, HAPPY HUNTING!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So, I guess I'll start by letting you guys know what I have available, and what im looking for and see what you guys think about the whole SC seed exchange.
    carrots- rainbow blend, atlas, and fingerling
    Green peppers
    Tomatoes - Rainbow blend, Roma, Cherry, and Yellow Cherry
    Rainbow sweet mini bell peppers
    hot peppers (12types pm if you want the full rundown lol)
    basil
    chives
    cilantro
    parsely
    khale
    spinach
    green onions
    peas
    green beans (rattlesnake, runner bean, and regular green beans)
    yellow zucchinis
    and cucumbers
    im looking for eggplant, and okra seeds the most but am open to so many variety of vegetables of flower seeds for trade.
    TrueNorthTreasures likes this.
    Lots of people know how to make money, but are not gifted in the art of preserving it. Smart Canuckers are different, HAPPY HUNTING!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's nice to see more people on the forum who is interested in seed-saving and sharing! I don't think I'll be doing trades this fall, but always like to see folks introducing each other to new seed varieties, tips for growing, etc.

I do have some extra heirloom dry bush beans, if you would like to have some to grow next year. I typically send them in exchange for a few stamps, as they need to be sent in a bubble envelope to protect them. I have sent a number of folks on the forum seeds, and I think they can vouch for the packages I send. Please send me a pm if you'd like to know the varieties.

If you find that there isn't as much interest in seed trading on SC as you would like, check out this THREAD . The Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange (with a focus on heirlooms and open-pollinated varieties) is excellent, and there are some active Canadian groups on Facebook.

Have you been to an in-person seed swap? How did it go? I haven't attended one yet, though I think there might be one planned for our community later this Fall.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

No i have not made it to one in person but i really would love to. This is just my third year growing, but I started seed saving last year, and this year it has really taken off. I would definitely love to hear some tips and tricks from some pros here on SC.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Would there be an issue with transplanting seeds that would be invasive? I am totally ignorant about this - but interested in the heirloom seed idea. We have such a tiny property that I certainly won't be growing veggies here unless it would be in a community plot.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Would there be an issue with transplanting seeds that would be invasive? I am totally ignorant about this - but interested in the heirloom seed idea. We have such a tiny property that I certainly won't be growing veggies here unless it would be in a community plot.
    sorry it took me so long to respond to your post, ive been in mexico for a week. Im not an expert but ive never had any problems transplanting. I use what they call an organic root blaster though to help it along if there was any shock from the transplant. I got it for free when the shopping channel sent Scotia bank members a free fifty dollar gift card basically. But i cant see there being a problem, maybe someone else knows better though?

even in a tiny property though you can grow much more thank you think. I grow all my veggies in containers, and all my flowers in beds either around a pond or in the front by the blue spruce tree and a small little other one my parents planted 20 odd years ago.

all the things i listed above i grow in containers and honestly have had luck with at least 90%. Even things like cucumbers and zucchinis.. i find herbs the hardest because they bolt so easy in the heat (they are the 10%).

Thread Information