User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: Re-Entering the workforce (SAHM)

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 12:38 PM.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I love the idea of the wallet sized resume! I will definitely do that! I've been networking and I always carry a USB on me with my current resume but the wallet sized idea is so much better! Thank you!

I've never been any government assisted programs like EI or Maternity leave, so I'm doubtful I'll qualify for help. Plus I'm thinking DH makes too much...

I am going to go in to a centre though and see what they offer. Even if they just offer testing would be great. Having results of current tests (ie, excel, wpm, etc) couldn't hurt.
    avoncallingu and Angela273 like this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@bargain_hunter_lola ......I hope you saw the part in my first paragraph were I said.....please don't take this the wrong way with me being honest? It seems another poster hasn't taken the time to read what I wrote and comprehend it, and instead is making a knee-jerk reaction to some of my comments.

There are elements of hypothetically speaking in my post, vice pointing fingers at you. Like you said, every family has to do what works for them, but am a firm believer of equally being involved once you throw kids into the mix. I have had comments like "you are so involved with your son", to which I answer...why shouldn't I be? I'll rather do that than go hangout at Timmies with "buddies" / go drinking / fishing/hunting or just be completely oblivious about raising kids.....all of which I don't do personally.

Back to your thread: You might have to do the following to get you back in the saddle
    - Volunteer at organizations
    - literally walk into companies and hand in your resume
    - exhaust the word of mouth option
    - don't be afraid to start small somewhere

In the past, I managed to secure 2 professional jobs by walking into the reception of companies, and handing my resume to the receptionists. They are the 1st line of defense and can get it to HR quicker than a recruiter.

Good luck
    avoncallingu and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    @bargain_hunter_lola......I hope you saw the part in my first paragraph were I said.....please don't take this the wrong way with me being honest? It seems another poster hasn't taken the time to read what I wrote and comprehend it, and instead is making a knee-jerk reaction to some of my comments.
    I did read your comment and I comprehended it.

My comments weren't "knee-jerk" but I did feel that I should explain my situation and offer another ideology.

I'm not looking for people's personal views on stay at home mothers. I'm looking for advice regarding returning to work. TIA

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    You will have better luck than you think with the government programs because they are funded based on how many people get employed, so they need to get you placed to get their funding.

Job finding clubs, where they coach you on how to find a job and how to search...the government wants to see 80% of people hired for the group that runs the club to get their funding.

There is no income limit on most social programs and government programs (although there may be specific ones for people leaving social assistance). Professionals do use them. A LOT of "mature" people use them, just as a lot of people first entering the workforce do. Everyone who needs a job.

For Microsoft certification or tests for free or cheap, check your local adult education (returning to high school) outfit because they typically offer these courses. Locally they had office admin certification, 4 apps, $125, test included.
    Thank you so much!

I find your posts so helpful and informative. Exactly what I was looking for when I started the thread.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The job market is terrible at the moment so employers have a lot of choice.
    If you are applying for jobs you are over-qualified for, they will often assume that you will not stick around or want more money so even though you can do the job, they pass over those resumes. Sadly, the ones you are qualified for will often worry about time off for kids, people fitting back into the work place (we had several mothers come back to work at my workplace who just were not ready, they were used to their own schedules etc or really missed their kids and were gone by the 3 month trial ending).

Most of the resumes we receive are chronological but tailored to only include relevant past work experience so always has gaps and a skills section at the top.

If any of the resumes we receive do not have a tailored cover letter, chances are, they do not get read. Even if applying to a HR person, call the switchboard and try to find a contact to send it to. I am more likely to open/read something directly addressed to me than the piles we get in when a job is advertised. Since I open my own mail first, it is likely to stick in my mind over the 200 applications I put time aside to go through
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    The job market is terrible at the moment so employers have a lot of choice.
    If you are applying for jobs you are over-qualified for, they will often assume that you will not stick around or want more money so even though you can do the job, they pass over those resumes. Sadly, the ones you are qualified for will often worry about time off for kids, people fitting back into the work place (we had several mothers come back to work at my workplace who just were not ready, they were used to their own schedules etc or really missed their kids and were gone by the 3 month trial ending).

Most of the resumes we receive are chronological but tailored to only include relevant past work experience so always has gaps and a skills section at the top.

If any of the resumes we receive do not have a tailored cover letter, chances are, they do not get read. Even if applying to a HR person, call the switchboard and try to find a contact to send it to. I am more likely to open/read something directly addressed to me than the piles we get in when a job is advertised. Since I open my own mail first, it is likely to stick in my mind over the 200 applications I put time aside to go through
    Thanks FP.

Some great info! I actually had an employers straight out tell me he wouldn't hire me because he thought I'd leave the moment I got a better job offer. I was surprised he took the time to interview me based on that... Is it better to leave stuff off the resume when applying for lower level positions?

Honestly if I went back earlier I may have been one of "those women". I haven't felt ready to give 100% until now. I definitely didn't want to start somewhere then quit and look unreliable.

Do you have a suggestion for companies with more than one hiring manager? I have run into this a few times. I like to address my cover letter (I absolutely hate "To whom it my concern") but sometimes I can't find one name. Is there a greeting/title that is best? I've used "Hiring Manager" in the past but not sure if that's correct.

Thanks for all your input!
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Sun, Aug 16th, 2015 at 02:56 PM.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Grats on the upcoming interview Lola. Goodluck! Let us know how it goes.

I personally LOVE the postcard idea but I am not too sure others do. I am currently working part-time at a Diner...and it's getting frustrating because I am only working THREE hours a week, which is hardly worth it but anyway....he had someone apply with a resume that was like a brochure, with a head shot on the back of it, and yeah he was totally turned off by that idea. He couldn't believe it actually. I guess it would also depend on what type of job you are applying for as well though.

You could always try the different types of resumes and see if you have any better luck with the different formats? I haven't messed with the format of mine too much in the past (omg I'm not even going to say how long, ha).

I absolutely hate putting 'to whom it may concern' as well. I usually try and find a name, even just digging deeper into the company website and checking the 'about us' page for a name.

For those of you that have experience hiring people - how do you feel about people you have interviewed following up with you? I had a telephone interview few weeks ago and at the end of the day I emailed her and thanked her for time, etc. She said she would have in-person interviews set up on Friday. Friday afternoon, I emailed her and asked if she had the chance to do that yet and she called me to set up a time (not sure if that was why or not). Anyway, we had the interview on Monday...there will be one more interview this week. She said they will let people know, hopefully, by the end of the week if they made it to the last one. Question: Do I follow up again!?! Or am I being too aggressive? Lol.

Edit - hope that's okay to ask Lola
    Last edited by Venuila; Sun, Aug 16th, 2015 at 07:44 PM.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Great Q - I'm in the same boat, or will be. $1700 per month for a daycare directly across the street from me.. I can't imagine paying for 2 kids (11 months apart) and before and after care for my 8 year old. **sigh**

What I've considered is doing my own thing - Only because I know I have time - the girls won't be in school for a few years and truth be told DH is way too tired after work to tend to 3 kids - I've also considered overnight or late night work of some kind.. I have little advice but just wanted to say you're not alone - by the time I get back to it i'm sure it'll be 7 years or more..

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    My kids are finally at the age where they are in school full-time so I've been looking for work.

I started passively looking for work this past January, applying to jobs here and there. For the past two months I've been much more aggressive; checking job boards/sites daily, networking, applying for anything and everything I am qualified to do. I haven't gotten a call for ONE interview. Absolutely NOTHING.

I realize the job market is very competitive but I'm really beginning to get frustrated and depressed.

I have two diplomas and a degree and I can't seem to even get an interview for a cashier (I've worked in retail sales, customer service, cash, cash office, front line co-ordinator, assistant manager, receptionist, etc).

I took almost seven years off to raise my children and now I'm DESPERATE to get back to work. Not only financial reasons (DH took a 60% pay cut last December and we've been really feeling the strain of it) but also for my own self esteem, knowledge, socialization, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

I've been trying to contact community agencies to see what resources are out there but I don't even know where to begin. The couple I did call I wasn't able to get in touch with a person. I have no idea if I even qualify for any help as I wasn't laid off or on maternity leave at any time (while I was pregnant I was a temp employee so I didn't qualify).

Just thought I'd ask here since I know there's been a lot of us SAHMs on this site trying to save money.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by LisaLisaBoBisa; Mon, Aug 17th, 2015 at 05:14 AM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Can we try to keep this on topic pls.
    avoncallingu likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    Do you have a suggestion for companies with more than one hiring manager? I have run into this a few times. I like to address my cover letter (I absolutely hate "To whom it my concern") but sometimes I can't find one name. Is there a greeting/title that is best? I've used "Hiring Manager" in the past but not sure if that's correct.
    Don't be afraid to say you have some questions about the job opening, typically you will be put through to the person who will be dealing with the recruitment (just have some actual questions lol)
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Venuila View Post
    he had someone apply with a resume that was like a brochure, with a head shot on the back of it, and yeah he was totally turned off by that idea. He couldn't believe it actually. I guess it would also depend on what type of job you are applying for as well though.
    As an employer, we hate ones with a photo attached. We do not positively discriminate and find people are more likely to reply saying they did not get the job because they are female / race / looks (yes someone told me that we were intimidated by her looks) when a photo is included. But the smaller application, with some colour is a great idea. Even if just a business card with your contact & what position you are looking for on one side and very condensed skills or job history on the other
    ~ ~ ~

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information