• 1 Post By elvadai
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 2 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: People and Social Media

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Personally...I am not on Facebook, Twitter and others. Millennials and a lot of adults alike, are quick to embrace social media, and flood and spend countless hours on there posting their lives on there. It's like people still don't get and just think they are invisible..thing is, once you hit 18 you are considered an adult and can't make excuses to the whole world like you would to Mommy and Daddy

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle26009649/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This would be a good post to add to the federal election thread. We can bet how many candidates will leave politics over their social media posts before the actual voting day.

I say we'll have a total of 10.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

yeah social media is not good for people bcoz today people are not so many friends on real life but on social media they have hundred of friends..so this is bad.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

and actually "hundreds of friends" sometimes is just a illusion - watching ppl's updates, clicking "like" back and forth are not real friendship, well, not in the old way.
    beachdown likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

And the internet is for evah..I have found photos I posted back in 1995 still coming up on search engines. Which is why we are much more circumspect about what we post and have taught the brood to be the same

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know right...glad am not part of social media, and based on what I hear and see, I am not missing much really. The old excuse of "it's a way of getting in touch with family"...how did we do that before Facebook? Yes I still prefer to pick up the phone and talk to people vice looking for "likes", sympathy and approval from strangers online.

Quote Originally Posted by elvadai View Post
    and actually "hundreds of friends" sometimes is just a illusion - watching ppl's updates, clicking "like" back and forth are not real friendship, well, not in the old way.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

In the over 25 years I've been active on the internet..I've had some pretty epic advice from my "friends" ..ie those who weren't blinded by by knowing me in a formal sense or RL.
    I've been kicked into touch when I was wrong to nth degree..
    I've had the unconditional support of people who only had my best intereasts at heart even though they have never"met" me..

Painting every-one who uses social media with a broad brush totally misses the point..The internet is where there is so much more than like-bait clicks and Nigerian Prince scams..

I have actually met people with whom I've connected socially on various boards ..

Oh nad my family...wrong side of the pond..FB, twitter, instrgram is so much easier when navigating the wibbly wobbly timey wimey ...stuff..
    thriftygranny likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Facebook claims another victim...Goodbye Joy

In 2013, Davies commented on Facebook that marijuana reduces family violence and that growing it in a home poses no harm to children. She also wrote that the Canadian Cancer Society is "another outlet for big pharma."
    Name:  joy-davies.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  22.4 KB

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...uana-1.3223459

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm not a facebook person. . . but I like places like this where I get to know such a cross section of people. A "group" is interesting because you may not have struck up a friendship in the face to face world, but that doesn't mean the people in this group are not interesting.

I really enjoy hearing other peoples perspectives and as Darth Penguin mentioned you sometimes get your own thinking adjusted by some very wise people.

As far as Twitter is concerned, I think if you connect with the right people, you get lots of fascinating info too.

I like Linked In, but there's so many spammers on there now, I don't go on much more.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'm following a lot of WWI/WWII .."realtime tweets" which are informing my history nerd..It's fascinating seeing how these historical events happened..well to me anyway!
    MortgageQueen likes this.

Thread Information