• 2 Post By Jody22002
  • 3 Post By walkonby
  • 3 Post By avoncallingu
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 2 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 3 Post By Jody22002
  • 2 Post By Couponcrinch
  • 2 Post By lecale

Thread: Desperately needing help!! My dog is ill and the vet doesn't know why!

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

I am hoping someone on SmartCanucks knows a lot about dog health.

Last Saturday, my 4 year old German Shepard/Border Collie escaped when the back gate was left open, by accident. It was the first time that he had ever been out on his own and we couldn't find him for 24 hours. He was totally fine for 72 hours after he came home.

Wednesday morning, he peed and then came inside and blood started pouring out of him. Pouring. DH took him to the vet. I think they thought my DH was exaggerating. They sedated the dog and kept him there all day but the vet decided that he had broken the bone behind his penis and that it just needed time to heal. She gave him an antibiotic and painkillers. My puppy came home very lethargic but I figured that might be because he had been sedated.

We went to bed, as usual. Puppy was lying in bed with me and seemed okay. He eventually moved out to the living room. A couple of hours later, I was awoken to the sound of blood pouring out of him again. My house looked like a crime scene(this time I took pictures). . Waiting for the vet to call back, it happened again and he lost more blood. He was panting very heavily. On the way to the vet, the dog passed a clot the size of my hand. The vet actually took the clot. She did blood tests on him. The only thing elevated is his white blood cell count. She kept him there last night but told us that she is unsure but thinks he may have eaten rat poison. My understanding of rat poisoning is that you DO NOT clot. He's a mystery, she says. He was given a bunch of Vitamin K and when we checked on him at the vet this morning, he had not bled during the night(he didn't bleed the first visit at the vet either). He will not, however, let her touch anything on his hind end so obviously there is something going on. He is the most gentle dog ever. She has not suggested an x-ray or an ultrasound. His gums are normal colored. She just does not seem to know what is wrong with him and I am worried I am going to be bringing him home to die.

She has already charged a small fortune to find nothing. My budget can't take anymore.

Anyone have any ideas?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is there any chance of internal injury (hence the body's reaction to clot??)

Is there any chance of a snake bite?

Any chance of an obstruction? Is he pooping?

Any chance of strychnine poisoning?

Is he dehydrated? Problem breathing? Clots can affect the heart and lungs.

The blood clotting I would think points to the liver and pancreas? I would definitely do an untrasound of those 2 organs. . .

I sure hope you can find the problem Sweetie. I feel for you!!!
    avoncallingu and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So sorry you're going through this....sounds just awful.

Name:  love and light.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  34.3 KB

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Is there any chance of internal injury (hence the body's reaction to clot??)

Is there any chance of a snake bite?

Any chance of an obstruction? Is he pooping?

Any chance of strychnine poisoning?

Is he dehydrated? Problem breathing? Clots can affect the heart and lungs.

The blood clotting I would think points to the liver and pancreas? I would definitely do an untrasound of those 2 organs. . .

I sure hope you can find the problem Sweetie. I feel for you!!!
    His blood doesn't show any poisons at all but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. No obstructions. He is still pooping but he stopped eating a couple of days ago. He still pees normally. His urethra is fine. They have no clue whatsoever.

He was panting a lot and crying.

The blood has to be coming from somewhere, right?

It's been suggested that we take him to Saskatoon which is a long way from us to see if they can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Any news?

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

We brought him home yesterday because the vet doesn't have 24 hour care and I didn't want to leave him there over the weekend. Plus, he hadn't bled for 24 hours. This morning, he lost a couple of cups of blood. ((. It seems that when his bladder gets full, it pushes on something that is bleeding. I called the vet again and she got in contact with some other vets and no one seems to know what it could be. They want to do a scope which costs between 800.00 and 2000.00. Yikes.

He's happy today. He's back to eating normally. We have been taking him outside every 90 mins so that nothing can build up in his bladder and will continue to do so throughout the night. I am hoping that if we can do this for awhile, it will give whatever cut he has(best case scenario is a cut way up on his penis) a chance to heal and stop opening. Working so far. He hasn't bled since this morning.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh Jody, I am so sorry you are going through this awful ride of vet costs and the agony of not knowing for sure what had happened to your dog when he escaped. I am hoping they find exactly what is going on, but the fees are just so tough to absorb into anyone's budget. Good luck.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I have heard of this happening to a person. Caused by damage to the bladder. As it tries to heal, the blood clots causing an obstruction to the urethra which is incredibly painful. The first course of action was continuously flushing the bladder through a catheter. But the only thing that worked in that case was cauterization of the site that was bleeding.

I am so sorry that your dear pet is going through this! My prayers are with you.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jody22002 View Post
    We brought him home yesterday because the vet doesn't have 24 hour care and I didn't want to leave him there over the weekend. Plus, he hadn't bled for 24 hours. This morning, he lost a couple of cups of blood. ((. It seems that when his bladder gets full, it pushes on something that is bleeding. I called the vet again and she got in contact with some other vets and no one seems to know what it could be. They want to do a scope which costs between 800.00 and 2000.00. Yikes.

He's happy today. He's back to eating normally. We have been taking him outside every 90 mins so that nothing can build up in his bladder and will continue to do so throughout the night. I am hoping that if we can do this for awhile, it will give whatever cut he has(best case scenario is a cut way up on his penis) a chance to heal and stop opening. Working so far. He hasn't bled since this morning.

Jody, that is great news. It sounds like a good plan of attack. I'm surprised vet didn't suggest a mild blood thinner?

I sure feel for you with those vet expenses. Especially not knowing if no one has any clue what's going on. . .
    avoncallingu likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How's Puppy? Any answers as to what happened?
    Davetherave and Couponcrinch like this.

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

No answers but he is doing good. Bleeding has stopped but I don't ever let his bladder get full so I'm not sure what would happen. He's back to his happy self though.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Glad to hear puppy seems to be doing well. - However if it happens again, perhaps you have to go to another vet, or a clinic where they have several vets with different experience levels.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Fri, Oct 30th, 2015 at 02:31 PM.

Thread Information