User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Arob
  • 1 Post By Arob
  • 1 Post By TIm Shane

Thread: FishHunter is phone screen fish finder for kayak fishing

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A Canadian company developed FishHunter, fish finder for kayak fishing right here in Toronto, in the shadow of Deeper (a Scandinavian start-up) which had a big Kickstarter, and plenty of fishing TV coverage etc and is still the media darling in this particular product category. But FishHunter is doing well because it works and its cool. The smartphone based device sells online here in Canada for $149

We took it kayak fishing in Palmer Rapids to the Madawaska and learned some things about it and ourselves. We never caught a single fish but we told the guys on shore where to cast.

The device has to be in the water to work and then it Bluetooth pairs to any smartphone seamlessly - just one phone.

even when there's no WiFi which of course there never is when your out in the wild . Here's me on the Madawaska in Sept

After almost dropping it in the river once, and almost kicking it off the dock another time, i put my phone in the dry case.
    Later in the afternoon, after we paddled forever upstream, we meandered back gently floating down the river, imaging the bottom. it was beautiful

Its cool seeing the phone display the FishHunter's sonar read out showing all the stuff you can barely see or in many cases you cant even see below. I will never forget that float. life was good right at that moment. imaging the river bottom is surreal. Its really great when you're almost meditating in the kayak, and just drifting slowly on the current and you can see all the stuff below , fish and other things.. eels? sea monsters. Its really great when your phone battery is strong enough to last longer than an hour.

ah summer time
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Arob; Fri, Sep 25th, 2015 at 11:19 PM.
    torontogal12 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The FishHunter inventors (entrepreneurs) went on Dragons Den, Season Ten Episode Two

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2677152862/
    You can read about it on this article on why Jim Treliving bought 33% of a kayak fish finder company on Backbone Magazine blog .
    Which is encapsulated in this post about Kayak Fish Finder on Cooks Bay sport fishing.
    Last edited by Arob; Sat, Dec 5th, 2015 at 08:36 PM.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arob View Post
    A Canadian company developed FishHunter, fish finder for kayak fishing right here in Toronto, in the shadow of Deeper (a Scandinavian start-up) which had a big Kickstarter, and plenty of fishing TV coverage etc and is still the media darling in this particular product category. But FishHunter is doing well because it works and its cool. The smartphone based device sells online here in Canada for $149
    Its a great fish finder but as the bobber moves away from the boat the connection gets weak. I would personally go for raymarine dragon fly series for a number of reason. For now I need to save some more to get that and am sticking to this guide (http://www.tellmebest.com/best-fish-finder-under-200/) and getting Deeper Smart Sonar
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The information above is very good to me, thanks for sharing!

Thread Information