User Tag List

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Great day today on the frugal front, both DH & I are working at home so we took our lunch break (I never take a break in the office) and prepared 8 meals with the ground beef I bought at RCSS on sale and ground pork I already had from another sale. It made for quick work with both of us working together.
    To answer the QoTD:
    We are seeing a huge reduction in some things I previously stockpiled. In part due to the lack of good deals and coupons. I no longer find multiples so I am only ever buying 1 or 2. I do watch the deal thread and in fact I think it was Sweet Sparrow that pointed out the Dove coupon was expiring & it was on sale at Loblaw’s. I (first time ever) used my phone to PM at RCSS so was able to buy it for 99 cents. I used to be able to get loads of past for almost free, now same thing 1 box if I am lucky and the sale happens before the coupon expires. But I am getting better at the points system so have saved over $2000. This year with PC Points/SDM/Air miles and the rebate apps. Coupons are a 1/5 of that total. I am also working towards leaving my job, so I really trying to maximize the savings as I will take time off and then see a reduction in pay as I don’t plan remain at this level.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@sweet sparrow I have never been brand loyal, especially when it came to non food things. Could care less who made it as long as it had the best price. Now with food, gosh seems like I am always reading the labels for nasty ingredients/nutritional benefits and that matters more than the price to us now, within reason of course. ( do you hear me stupidly overpriced asparagus water Whole Foods was selling )

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I actually puttered in the laundry/stock room yesterday. I had to condense/move stuff over/around since stuff is being used up and I am happy! For me less is more and I am really trying to get rid of stuff. But for the regular stuff we use I will still but a bit to have extras. It was nice yesterday grabbing shampoo, conditioner, shaving cream, a new razor, wax paper, freezer bags etc and bring them upstairs as we had run out. No dash out to the store for me paying whatever the price was. I just don't go as crazy as I did before.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I tidied up my kitchen this morning as I was waiting for my carpool pick-up, now I actually have counter space again! I'm feeling pretty good about that, and plan to do a little more tidying this evening, in between reading (hopefully) up to Act 4 of Hamlet!
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I can't be the only one who is a little freaked out by how quickly September flew by! Crazy!

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Good morning, everyone.

Saw the Tremblay play yesterday, Yours Forever Marie-Lou. It was well done with an interesting set. Amazing cast, but not quite my cup of tea (just wasn't in the mood for angst-riven family drama). The rest of the audience really really liked it, so that's all that counts.

Have friends coming over for a late lunch/early dinner, so have to pop out to the store. Why am I always missing ONE ingredient whenever I attempt to cook something??? Maybe it's my subconscious telling me not to torture my friends with my lousy cooking (I'm waaay better when it comes to dessert ).

Better get going. I still have to vacuum (we never did get over the spring shedding phase, now we're into the fall shedding phase). I'm tempted to shave the brats, but having seen the results of a very fluffy golden retriever who recently got an amateur hair-cut, I'll live with the extra fur on the carpet, even if it's hard to tell the original colour.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-hey all morning -my brother last night was not doing well he was bleeding and had irregular heartbeat -had more issues than last time 10 years ago when he had surgery -prayers for him -hopefully he is doing better today

-stockpile questions
    -I alwsays browse the clearance sections of stores grocery,shoppers, indigo ,micheals -anystore basically
    -my stockpile is lower than years as there is just 2 of us now -used to have 20 toilet paper -now down to 4 pkgs ,used to have 20 shampoos now have 4 -they don't work good after 2 years
    -its true use to get a lot of free stuff with coupons a few years back -now coupons are not out there as much (lower values) -so I rely on snapsaves and checkout51 to get more bang for my buck
    -like this week advil was 3.00 off (on checkout51)so bought one last week -again on checkout51 this week so will buy another -as I go thru Tylenol or advil with my sore gum when it swells
    -I buy in moderation now -as I know the sales always come along -still have many Ziploc sandwichs bags ,laundry soap ,body wash -I haven't bought bodywash in 1 year -unless it goes to .99 cents after cpn and other programs to help save

-pick up items year round like ashlyn's birthday this sat -I got a top at carters for her 2.20 reduced and socks Gymboree .69 -plus a walking fur baby doggy 5.00 when target closed that is just a few items I got her as an example -so year round look for xmas ,birthday's extra gifts

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@Natalka I can't believe it is October 1st already!!! I made sure to look for the box of hats and mitts so I am ready and it was where I thought it was. So happy I bought all those good HEAD gloves at Costco in June We have a banker box full of gloves and hats so we should be good for the season! Now I need to sort out the winter jackets etc. Still loving mine and youngest still fits in his hockey jacket and has a few back ups for play. Oldest needs a jacket because he "lost" his last year. But he is so picky! So will have to see what we can find. Tonight I am going to make butternut squash soup for the 1st time. I am so excited to make it lol. I plan to store it in mason jars. I will leave room at the top for the ones I'm going to freeze. Has anyone else used the mason jars in the freezer with no problems?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -hey all morning -my brother last night was not doing well he was bleeding and had irregular heartbeat -had more issues than last time 10 years ago when he had surgery -prayers for him -hopefully he is doing better today

-stockpile questions
    -I alwsays browse the clearance sections of stores grocery,shoppers, indigo ,micheals -anystore basically
    -my stockpile is lower than years as there is just 2 of us now -used to have 20 toilet paper -now down to 4 pkgs ,used to have 20 shampoos now have 4 -they don't work good after 2 years
    -its true use to get a lot of free stuff with coupons a few years back -now coupons are not out there as much (lower values) -so I rely on snapsaves and checkout51 to get more bang for my buck
    -like this week advil was 3.00 off (on checkout51)so bought one last week -again on checkout51 this week so will buy another -as I go thru Tylenol or advil with my sore gum when it swells
    -I buy in moderation now -as I know the sales always come along -still have many Ziploc sandwichs bags ,laundry soap ,body wash -I haven't bought bodywash in 1 year -unless it goes to .99 cents after cpn and other programs to help save

-pick up items year round like ashlyn's birthday this sat -I got a top at carters for her 2.20 reduced and socks Gymboree .69 -plus a walking fur baby doggy 5.00 when target closed that is just a few items I got her as an example -so year round look for xmas ,birthday's extra gifts
    Sending good vibes to your brother and family.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hard to believe it is Oct 1! Apparently none of us were thinking that this morning as DD headed out to the bus-suddenly DH leaps up, grabs her Oct bus pass and in his jammies pedals off to the bus stop to give it to her-too funny! He is taking the car in for service this morning and when he is back I am going over to a friends house for lunch. Was thinking of doing a Costco run after but too tired today so will save it for another day.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

@coupon girl - I find it so easy to shop ahead for my niece! (as you do for your grand-daughter) I think I am over doing it a bit but my sister spoiled my boys (she still does!) I am basically done Christmas for her and have bought her big gift for her 2nd birthday next summer! Once she is older I'm sure I will be taking her for girl spa visits and shopping lol. My sister hates pedicures but I love them so this will be something I will treat my niece with

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Hard to believe it is Oct 1! Apparently none of us were thinking that this morning as DD headed out to the bus-suddenly DH leaps up, grabs her Oct bus pass and in his jammies pedals off to the bus stop to give it to her-too funny! He is taking the car in for service this morning and when he is back I am going over to a friends house for lunch. Was thinking of doing a Costco run after but too tired today so will save it for another day.
    It feels like an October day here today (but beautiful blue sky and sunshine) I love the fall when I'm dressed for it
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Thu, Oct 1st, 2015 at 09:24 AM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am so excited for October, it's probably one of my favourite months of the year. And I've got a game plan for school, work, and home! So that feels good!
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@coupon girl sorry about your brother's setback, will keep him in my thoughts today., hope his condition improves soon. @Frugalbigmama , although I have made butternut squash soup a few times I have never frozen it in jars. I would be nervous here that someone would be careless when they are in there searching for something and knock the glass jar about.
    I might freeze it in another container than can withstand being bumped.

Well got some promising news this a.m. that DH will be carpooling again starting next week! THAT will save us plenty with him only having to drive in every second week. You never know when a silver lining will present itself.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

For those renewing mortgages soon- MortgageQueen posted on another thread that rates are going up today?

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information