User Tag List

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    @coupon girl sorry about your brother's setback, will keep him in my thoughts today., hope his condition improves soon. @Frugalbigmama , although I have made butternut squash soup a few times I have never frozen it in jars. I would be nervous here that someone would be careless when they are in there searching for something and knock the glass jar about.
    I might freeze it in another container than can withstand being bumped.

Well got some promising news this a.m. that DH will be carpooling again starting next week! THAT will save us plenty with him only having to drive in every second week. You never know when a silver lining will present itself.
    Awesome! I had someone pay me for a year for a ride. I had a small Honda that was great on gas so his money paid for my gas for the week plus some. It sucked some days (wanting to leave early etc or just be alone lol) But my savings account loved it!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I commuted for years (hour each way approx.) but then moved a few years ago and am a 2 min drive to work. What a difference! I still feel like I'm on vacation everyday

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

@coupon girl Sorry about your brother`s setback. Hope things have improved. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Coupon girl, hoping your brother's condition improves and has a quick and speedy recovery

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I commuted for years (hour each way approx.) but then moved a few years ago and am a 2 min drive to work. What a difference! I still feel like I'm on vacation everyday
    Good for you frugalbigmama! that is the only way to go!! ( living close to work ) IF a person can manage that it means savings!! Plus I get a chance to see the guy that is driving here and leaving his vehicle in our driveway ( as I have not seen him since they had their twin boys, seems like so long ago now! ) So happy.

About those interest rates going up?? Does MQ mean that the prime rate is going up or that banks are increasing their mortgage rates? What justifies them raising them now?

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good for you frugalbigmama! that is the only way to go!! ( living close to work ) IF a person can manage that it means savings!! Plus I get a chance to see the guy that is driving here and leaving his vehicle in our driveway ( as I have not seen him since they had their twin boys, seems like so long ago now! ) So happy.

About those interest rates going up?? Does MQ mean that the prime rate is going up or that banks are increasing their mortgage rates? What justifies them raising them now?
    I'm not sure what she meant. She was replying to someone asking about re-financing. It was in the Personal Finance section under the "Mortgage" thread.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

coupon girl - wishing the best for your brother, hoping things are improving for him.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I do watch the deal thread and in fact I think it was Sweet Sparrow that pointed out the Dove coupon was expiring & it was on sale at Loblaw’s. I (first time ever) used my phone to PM at RCSS so was able to buy it for 99 cents.
    @lilo0003 : I'm glad you were able to get that deal. It was a rare coupon that I wish I had more of! Good luck on career planning and budgeting around it!

Now with food, gosh seems like I am always reading the labels for nasty ingredients/nutritional benefits and that matters more than the price to us now, within reason of course. ( do you hear me stupidly overpriced asparagus water Whole Foods was selling )
    I just saw asparagus water on John Oliver. Oh...my...gosh... They really don't think much of their customers. I feel really bad for the people who actually bought it, if there was anyone who did.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -hey all morning -my brother last night was not doing well he was bleeding and had irregular heartbeat -had more issues than last time 10 years ago when he had surgery -prayers for him -hopefully he is doing better today
    @coupon girl : Prayers for your brother and you. I hope he improves very quickly.

I love how your stockpile gets adjusted for the size of your household!

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Tonight I am going to make butternut squash soup for the 1st time. I am so excited to make it lol. I plan to store it in mason jars. I will leave room at the top for the ones I'm going to freeze. Has anyone else used the mason jars in the freezer with no problems?
    @Frugalbigmama : I think you can use it, but it's not the most durable option. Bernardin's "freezer jars" are made of plastic only.
    http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/jars/28.php

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Since we moved to a smaller place, I don't go all out stockpiling at all anymore. When I tallied up my costs when I was stockpiling vs no stockpiling I was pretty shocked to learn that I am now actually spending less. I think this is due to the fact that I am able to redeem a lot of PC points now. My PC point personal offers are pretty good so that helps a lot as well. I gave up coupon trading and don't stress about stockpiling and have a lot more time for baking/cooking so that helps too

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Well got some promising news this a.m. that DH will be carpooling again starting next week! THAT will save us plenty with him only having to drive in every second week. You never know when a silver lining will present itself.
    @walkonby : That's amazing and a nice relief. DH had a co-worker who was going through a rough family patch when they decided to carpool. Then, his co-worker decided that his car was too unreliable to drive the 2+ hours to work and back. Then, he decided that DH should pay for the 407 fees for the 20 minutes they would be on it. (I was really annoyed by this.) After that, he decided that instead of paying DH for gas money (not like he ever did), he would bring DH a coffee for 4 hours of driving and that would be enough. I was SO thankful when his co-worker moved north. No more smelly cologne and cigarettes in my seat!!

Funny how he could never afford a new car or to pay DH, but there was always money for his chain smoking habit, sometimes once or twice an hour.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Despite September zipping by, this week is the most obvious start of leaves starting their fall parade of colours so there is the prospect of some awesome displays leading up to the Thanksgiving weekend (which is also advance voting time in Ontario-cough, cough).

I wish I had even a tiny stockpile (I used to buy double of some personal care items, so I had one extra on hand when I ran out of the one in use). Coupons remain an occasional part of my savings attempts but I don't always sync up on product purchase with favourable sale prices. Thus I continue to read flyers to sort of see the cycling of sale prices (or the fun of seeing sale prices change from one week to the following week-good for laughs) and try to wait for the sales when restocking. This year, I always check for my sliced cracked wheat bread on the reduced price baked goods rack first-sometimes I don't get bread for a week or more (trying not to always pay full retail unless I must have TOAST).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Despite September zipping by, this week is the most obvious start of leaves starting their fall parade of colours so there is the prospect of some awesome displays leading up to the Thanksgiving weekend (which is also advance voting time in Ontario-cough, cough).

I wish I had even a tiny stockpile (I used to buy double of some personal care items, so I had one extra on hand when I ran out of the one in use). Coupons remain an occasional part of my savings attempts but I don't always sync up on product purchase with favourable sale prices. Thus I continue to read flyers to sort of see the cycling of sale prices (or the fun of seeing sale prices change from one week to the following week-good for laughs) and try to wait for the sales when restocking. This year, I always check for my sliced cracked wheat bread on the reduced price baked goods rack first-sometimes I don't get bread for a week or more (trying not to always pay full retail unless I must have TOAST).
    I do without too sometimes or buy what I find on sale/clearance. Last week I had nice fresh D'italiano bread in my cart but then found another kind on for $1 loaf (it was expiring in a few days) Popped it in the freezer and we have been using it up.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Last night, I was able to get the signal mostly for the L'Epicerie segment at 7:30 on the French CBC Toronto station. Of note to me and likely many of you, the nutrition label information. The segment was about how some labels are not accurate: the team found a gelato label showing 43g of fibre. To get a nutrition label done through a laboratory analysis, the cost is up to $1000 per product. There is a database of labels that can be used on products and is less expensive through nutritionists. Who knew? Now I understand how some products that had recalls (because of undeclared nuts or other allergens) could have occurred. I had assumed that the labels were made based on in-house or paid lab analysis of products.

This clip is in French but worth the time to watch. http://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/l-ep...leur-nutritive

Next week, there will be a segment on gluten-free foods-do they help one eat better.

Takeaway is that when we each eat something, not to totally rely on the printed material on packaging. Our intuitions and guts will be essential guides too.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I guess my savings strategy is similar to everyone else here.
    I really watch the sales and clearance racks, and use a coupon here and there. I am feeling on the fence with coupons.I have scaled back a lot, I do not clip coupons for things I don't need, I used to with the logic that I would clip them and file them and if it was an amazing deal then I would use them. I decided my time is too valuable and I don't need half the stuff I got that was a great deal.
    I do stock up on meat when it is a great price, I noticed the price of eye of round at No Frills Ontario I think 2.97 a pound, so I am hoping we get a similar deal, for some reason I never get the NF flyer til Friday morning so will have to wait and see, it will be at least a dollar a pound more than the Ontario flyer but a great price for Alberta. I am focusing on purging and reorganizing my home and taking stock of needs verses wants.
    A beautiful fall day here, I am going to give my kitchen a really good clean today while the Blue Jays game is on, I still need to wash the upstairs outside windows and screens but the main level is done. the temperatures here are going to take a dive on Saturday so I think I need to put my flower pots to bed and harvest my green tomatoes. It never ends does it!!
    Enjoy the day everyone!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@walkonby great news about the car pooling, every little bit helps @coupon girl sending prayers for your db

re: stockpiling - because of lack of coupons and sales for items we actually use I don't stockpile anymore WITH THE EXCEPTION being meat as the prices are crazy.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information