User Tag List

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So I had an eye exam a couple weeks ago but need to get fitted for contact lenses.

What's a place that does good eye exams for contacts? / has all those eye pressure, eye sensitivity, eye depth machines etc?

I used to go to Vision Clinic some 10yrs ago when I was a regular patient they kept saying my vision is the same year after year (when it was clearly not from what I could see)...they weren't good doctor's in my opinion. don't' know if they'v changed since but...

How's Hakim Optical? anyone been there?

I have the prescription/or strength of my eyes on my glasses form, so that number should be the same as my contact lenses right? so they can't tell me my it's different.

So, what do you guys think is the cheapest place.. my current one which I won't return to was Lens Crafters/Spectrum which charged $115 for an eye exam..

Is there anything cheaper than that?

Anywho, any help would be greatly appreciated. Please nothing in downtown area/ I live in Hamilton East.

-Thank you

Oh and no Sears, not good doctors either, I used to go there and my contacs were giving me double vision for some reason..knew it wasn't normal, go to see doc. she told me it's normal.....what!
    This thread is currently associated with: LensCrafters, Hakim Optical, Sears
    Last edited by JDI007; Thu, Oct 8th, 2015 at 09:08 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I recommend you call local optometrist offices to find out what a basic eye exam costs. You're looking at least $85 but more likely over $100 especially if the computerized Optmap device is made part of the exam. When you are comfortable with your eye professional, you won't go to a chain for exams. However, you might want to ask about the doctors' contact fitting experiences. Don't be surprised if doctors might be partial to the brands of contacts they carry.

Suggest you research contacts of interest and find out who sells the brands most likely to suit you.

Since I wear glasses, I have not hesitated to look at what prices are in chain eyewear stores because I had a budget in mind that most frames were not meeting and I knew what two colours I most would wear. I ended up getting lenses/frames at another local optical practise and ended up about $25 over budget with taxes. It'd be lovely to afford $300 frames and extra for lenses but I was looking at $250 all in.

Try accessing the Consumer Reports database through the HPL website (need library card) to see what reviews on contacts may have been done in the past two years. Worth the effort.

I did in the 90s get a $95 pair of frames and lenses at Sears Optical because a friend pointed out their half off sale. I wore those glasses for several years and the wear showed.
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information