• 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 1 Post By Lynn49
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 2 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 3 Post By Lynn49
  • 3 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By lecale

Thread: Anyone's kids get shingles from chicken pox vaccine??

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The office manager at my doctor's was telling me there's dozens of kids that have been contracting shingles from the vaccine. That's something I've never heard of before. Even some that were vaccinated last year got shingles BOTH last year AND this year!

Anyone else have this experience? Or is it an isolated incident?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Wow, that's pretty distressing, MQ..poor kids! My Dad had shingles sometime in his 60s and it sure was an unpleasant experience for him! We've both had our shingles shots to prevent them but I've never heard of kids getting shingles after their chickenpox vaccinations. How awful.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Mon, Oct 26th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ya, I was pretty shocked myself. The vaccine was supposed to stop that sort of thing. I just wondered if it was an isolated incident. . .
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I hadn't heard of that either, and tried to look up info on it, and there is none I could find.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    The office manager at my doctor's was telling me there's dozens of kids that have been contracting shingles from the vaccine. That's something I've never heard of before. Even some that were vaccinated last year got shingles BOTH last year AND this year!

Anyone else have this experience? Or is it an isolated incident?
    Hi MortgageQueen. I see something else that's not very good at your doctor's office. I do not think an office manager should be revealing information to you about the health status of other patients. This breaches confidentiality of other patients and is unethical. I am wondering if the office manager would reveal your health status to other patients coming to see that doctor?
    maiyuu and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Hi MortgageQueen. I see something else that's not very good at your doctor's office. I do not think an office manager should be revealing information to you about the health status of other patients. This breaches confidentiality of other patients and is unethical. I am wondering if the office manager would reveal your health status to other patients coming to see that doctor?
    Unless she mentioned names, I don't think it's a breach, really...I know the nurses at our doc's office will say things like, "Yep, it's going around!", and things like that. Good to be aware, but I just think it's casual conversation, no one knows who she's directly referring to.

However, I also did some digging and couldn't find any information on that. Perhaps her fault lies in spreading worry and fear without a proper foundation and proof...
    Natalka, Shwa Girl and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    However, I also did some digging and couldn't find any information on that. Perhaps her fault lies in spreading worry and fear without a proper foundation and proof...
    agree
    The office manager may have also misunderstood the information. The doctor is accountable to the Ministry of Health and to the vaccine manufacturer to immediately report if there were cases seen. Finally the doctor has a responsibility to close the office and contact any patients that may have come in contact with potential affected patients.

The office manager should pay attention to managing the office and not disclosing health status of patients, IMHO
    Lynn49, walkonby and Davetherave like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Thu, Oct 29th, 2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Davetherave likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As Lynn mentioned, she didn't give any names and we know each other well.

I'm sure the vaccine company and Ministry of Health have been notified.

One of the children did in fact get the chicken pox. . . but I've heard of that a lot, so didn't comment on it.

I think the concern was it's unusual for the shingles to appear and quite concerning it cropped up again the following year.

Thread Information