User Tag List

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3221Likes

Thread: November 2015 Frugal Chat Thread

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Let's post what we're saving, finding or deciding upon in the consumer market! Has everyone in Ontario adjusted to the two PEAK hydro periods that coincide with breakfast and supper hours?

As @jasperandchar is keeping her arm well, I thought I'd start this month's thread.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Had to advise Mom to keep an eye on how long she was heating her breakfast in the toaster oven as it was the morning peak period. Last night, I put up the new rate pie charts on the washing machine and on the fridge.

Made rice porridge or congee (purchased a long grain and wild rice package on sale-the price of rice is another matter) after reading that one uses basically twice as much water for cooking rice than normal,so about 40 minutes to cook. Stirred in some leftover Chicken Tinga (from the Old El Paso Restaurante FP kit last month) shredded meat that was left over and that was breakfast.
    Btw, I was pleased that Food Basics has $5 packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts (packages were about 600g or more) -was able to finally make the Chicken Tinga but I caution anyone who's not into hot/heat, not to add fresh cilantro because it gives another lemon pepper burn to the seasonings in the mix. Since I had eaten the sauce last month, I had no worries about using it with the cooked chicken. I'd definitely give this another go. The 7" tortillas (Selection brand) were $1.49 in the store so they were good for the meal.

Baking spices-only found cinnamon on sale, not ground cloves or nutmeg. Did snag a $1.99 Tenderflake lard box (only 4 on shelf) too.

Jaw drop at the price of cauliflower-$3.97 each. They were 97 cents what three weeks ago? Wowsers.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

The price you guys in Ontario have to pay for electricity is jaw dropping!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

So we should start eating out during the breakfast and dinner high time? lol Guess weekend cooking will pay off even more now. Cook on the weekend and heat and serve during the week. Ah well, they get us don't they.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I used to do some hand laundry and also a couple of loads of washing some mornings while the summer schedule was in effect. All bets are off-laundry will be a weeknight and weekend "fun" chore to do.

I think I'll hear screaming on January 1 when the 10% electricity rebate disappears from the hydro bills-CH Morning Live made a reference to the rates "rising" again on that day.

Last day to make use of the Mark's Workwearhouse get $10 off wus $50 coupon (two flyers ago). Spotted two items of interest in the current flyer (which seems to expire today as well-odd) so will have to get to the store and see if I can fit or not. The pants would be a score if they do fit; not sure about the sweater.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    The price you guys in Ontario have to pay for electricity is jaw dropping!
    Hydro One used to offer tiered pricing-the first 750 kwh were charged at the lowest rate, then the next set of kwh were at a higher rate. Then the utility went with time of day pricing--cue much gnashing of teeth and money arguments in the home.
    Some utilities still offer tier pricing-lucky!
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Nov 3rd, 2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I admit due to the Hydro change I cooked a bunch of meals on the week on off peak and now they just needed to be heated up for dinner. Quick pop in the microwave and away we go.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I used to do some hand laundry and also a couple of loads of washing some mornings while the summer schedule was in effect. All bets are off-laundry will be a weeknight and weekend "fun" chore to do.

I think I'll hear screaming on January 1 when the 10% electricity rebate disappears from the hydro bills-CH Morning Live made a reference to the rates "rising" again on that day.

Last day to make use of the Mark's Workwearhouse get $10 off wus $50 coupon (two flyers ago). Spotted two items of interest in the current flyer (which seems to expire today as well-odd) so will have to get to the store and see if I can fit or not. The pants would be a score if they do fit; not sure about the sweater.
    Thank you so much for the reminder!!! I wanted to check out some boots there and probably would have went tomorrow and missed out again! Going there on my lunch break today for sure!

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am off on a vacation day today, we have a zero carry over policy, so i use it or lose it.So I am chipping away at my todo list. I will go out for a walk soon as I have two more sets of the cereal 5.00 MC to mail. I was up to midnight last night doing laundry as I do not want to pay the crazy rates. DH works at home at least 3 days a week so have the 11-5 be off peak helps. We save so much with him working at home so its a bonus in many ways. Tonight we are going to BBQ. We rarly do this in the darker cold days but eating dinner at 8 is not realistic. So BBQ occasionally may help.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

yep clothing is hanging out today again
    -I went for a walk to library then to shoppers wanted to get another dove 4 bars of soap 2.99 -1.50 checkout51=1.49 cheap price
    40 minute walk good for my health
    -I cook my supper before 5.00 as hubby walks in at 4.50 so it is during mid peak (11-5) because 5-7 is the highest so it works for us except when I am babysitting til 6.15 but by then I am usually home at 7.00

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

The Walmart free magazine is out and comes with the 2016 Milk Calendar. Growing up my mom always had one! I have grabbed her one today because in the old days lol she would get it in the Saturday Star but I'm not sure if it is available that way anymore.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sadly there is snow on the ground this morning but my flower basket is still blooming-I don't have the heart to pitch it prior to a hard frost which I am sure will happen tonight! My friend dropped by for coffee this morning and then while DH went off to work I chatted with the garage repair man as our spring broke on the garage door yesterday. I asked what I owed him and he said somebody would call me in a day or two-yikes I haven't even been anywhere and yet I am sure today will be costly. Anyway according to him you should lubricate all the hinges 4 times a year and grease the main track once per year. On average springs are rated to last about 10,000 openings so I am guessing if we use our front door more often unless we are getting the car out they might last longer-who knows. I can tell you we have rarely lubricated our garage door-only when it gets crotchety during extremely cold weather!
    Last edited by lizzie bargain; Mon, Nov 2nd, 2015 at 02:48 PM.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Ciel thanks for starting the the thread I was just downstairs saying oh dang didn't post it before Surgery (haha) glad to know it's done and don't have to worry about it (kisses)

I'm still on a 2 tier pricing for hydro, however, the rates are not great to begin with and our downfall is the delivery fees that are $90 on average a month....sigh

I hitched a ride to sdm this am with inlaws who had to do an errand, I guess the hospital must have put some sort of antibiotic in my system while surgery as I have a lady infection (hmm) you know the one. Anyways I haven't had 1 of those in 15 years so I shouldn't complain. Prior to that I had them literally every 2nd week and needed prescriptions to clear it up. Fingers crossed the over the counter meds fix it or I will be needing a scratching post (haha).

Did the budget this am, I will run the numbers with dh this evening as he is in Kingston tomorrow for his procedures (fingers crossed) it works as his quality of life will be so much improved and not to mention the ability to work more often because of the lack of pain.

Sausages on a bun for supper tonight going to through together a quick bean salad as a side dish for dh & I.

Well better get moving as eldest will be walking in the door any minute and I need him to hang the laundry downstairs.

Chat later folks
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Subscribing more later 😀
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

my hydro is the TOU table. I thought maybe ours was changing with the first 1,000 hrs at one rate and the rest was another, but after speaking with a Hydro One rep I was told that is for businesses and older homes that have not got any Smart Meters in them. Still not happy that we have to continually do things on weekends and between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. ( since home retired I get the urge to cook RIGHT in the worst possible high peak hours ) BUT if I don't want to give Hydro any more $$ than necessary that is what needs to be done.

Nice new month and new thread for our battle against unnecessary spending and more savings!! Charge!! um no, wait, don't charge!

babies teach us acceptance

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information