User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: My Nephew wants a $75 Halo 5 game for Christmas…please help!!!

CouponNewbie
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Update: Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions, I am so happy to have this forum. I definitely can now get my nephew that game without breaking the bank …once again thank you for the time everyone took to reply it really helped me

Hi guys my nephew asked for 1 thing this year for Christmas...

Halo 5: Guardians game for Xbox

I go to A mazon and realize it is $75! Maybe I am naive but I didn't think video games were this expensive

I do not want to disappoint and want to maintain my status as "Best Aunt Ever" …so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this game goes on sale at all?

So far A mazon seems to be the cheapest at $73.99 …+ I will go to e bates to get 4% off that

But would video games go on sale at all for Black Friday? or does EB Games ever have sales on brand new games?

I appreciate any help…because when it comes to video games I really have no clue
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com, EB Games, GameStop
    Last edited by ilovecoupons23; Mon, Nov 16th, 2015 at 04:04 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Video games rarely go on much of a sale, but IMO you have two options:

Wait for Black Friday as that is the most likely time to get a deal right now (but also the most likely for it to get sold out, and the sale will not be that big), or go looking for 'alternative' deals. You can get a $13 Cineplex e-gift card and a Halo megablox figure (worth $1 so not a deal breaker) if you buy it at best buy. They will also match prices.

IMO looking for a gift-with-purchase (sometimes there's a GC for the store itself as part of a deal like that) is your best deal here. But if you buy it, buy it somewhere that has a gift card offer AND will match prices if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with Chantel. Video games do not fluctuate in price much until several months later when they are less popular. Halo 5 isnt likely to drop like that for at LEAST 6-8 months.

Where I disagree with Chanel, is the gift card bundle. While 'bundle' deals might be an idea, you might NOT be able to return it for a full refund, depending on the bundle... especially if that bundle includes a gift card. You might be on the hook for the amount of the gift card. Ostensibly paying full price for a gift card you never really wanted in the first place. (I've had this happen more than once).

For the sake of $1 (ie:$73 at Amazon vs $74 Walmart, Best Buy), I'd buy it somewhere locally. Somewhere you can return it if you get it cheaper somewhere else. BUT buy it now to secure that you have one in your hands. If all else fails, you have one.

First up, check Costco. They can sometimes be $5-10 cheaper right out of the gate. However, go right in to the warehouse and dont look online. The online prices for video games are most often more (not always) than they are in store. Also, Costco has a tenancy to drop to a clearance price when their stock gets low on any particular item, regardless of how new it is. I've gotten video games for about half-price a mere 3 weeks after release date because of this practice. Costco also has one of the best return policies going, so this is a good start.

Once you have one in hand (from wherever)... my next advice would be to watch the ads for a sale price where you can go an buy it for less (sounds obvious, doesnt it?). One ad to watch for is Superstore. If your local area Superstore has a video game section, then watch the ads for a tax-free day/weekend between now and Christmas (bound to happen). You'll basically save whatever tax you'd be subject to (13% ?). That's nearly $10.

But if you never see a sale, at least you know you've got one. Peace of mind is a great thing.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Nov 15th, 2015 at 07:54 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As seen at Costco just now....

Attachment 298047

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Where I disagree with Chanel, is the gift card bundle. While 'bundle' deals might be an idea, you might NOT be able to return it for a full refund, depending on the bundle... especially if that bundle includes a gift card. You might be on the hook for the amount of the gift card. Ostensibly paying full price for a gift card you never really wanted in the first place. (I've had this happen more than once).

I've never had a problem with this. The only issue would be if he wanted to return the brand-new unopened game, which I'm betting he does not because he asked for it specifically. Any store will exchange a faulty game for another of the same title and your GC would likely not come into question in that case.

If you wanted to just outright return the game, yeah, then your recipient might get docked the gift card amount (usually $10) but since OP knows her nephew wants it I didn't really factor that in.

But I do very much agree with you on Costco. If it were me, I'd rather save $10 on the game than get a $10 gift card, because it means I'm paying less tax if the game is 64 vs 74 and is overall a better deal.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

removed post as insulted by another sc member
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Sun, Nov 15th, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Why not consider a recycled (used) copy at eb games for a 1/2 the price,
    Not sure if you've been in EB in the past few years, but used copies aren't priced anywhere near half-price of new. Especially for first-run, new release, triple-A titles like this one. At best you get around $5 or $10 off EB's regular retail price. [Note: As a general rule, EB pays you about 1/4 to 1/3 what they can sell it for, (so you might get about $20 for it on trade), and then they price it only a few dollars less than new.] -- This is so they can make their EDGE memberships "seem" more attractive, and offer "deeper" discounts on used games, knowing full well it still is more than they paid for it to the consumer.

just have a peek at a few recent titles: https://www.ebgames.ca/SearchResult/...&variantType=2

Also, Halo 5 is barely 3 weeks old. I'm betting they dont have any used copies in yet. That, and getting a USED game for a Christmas gift would be kind of insulting.

Besides, as noted, you can get it NEW at Costco for less than EB would sell it to you used.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    ...just purchase the protection/warranty for a few extra bucks and all is good.
    FYI, and IMHO paying warranty on a game is a sham. By law, the game (used or new) is already warranted from defects when purchased from retail.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello ilovecoupons23, your best deal for getting Halo 5 would be at shoppers drug mart Today, Tomorrow or Tuesday using their promo Spend $75 and get 18,500 points. If you don't have a shoppers optimum card, you can get one in store in about 2 minutes, you just fill out a piece of paper and then your handed a card.

To get the absolute best deal, I would personally:

buy a $85 shoppers drug mart gift card (You'll get 850 points for this, you'll need to buy a blank gift card not one with a $ amount on it and tell cashier to put $85 on it, the extra amount will cover HST)
    Buy Halo 5 with a small purchase item(Pack of mr noodles or something thats around 20 cents - 30 cents, maybe a pack of tissues at the register, since the game is $74.99 you need one extra cent to reach the $75 for 18,500 bonus points)
    Pay with gift card you just bought and receive 18,500 points + 750 regular points

Total points earned would be 20,100. If you redeem at full redemption level ( 95,000 for $170) its worth $36, but at bonus redemption (95,000 for $220) its worth $46.50. Or of course you could redeem them right away at 8000 points for $10 off your next purchase, which would be $20 right away you could spend on groceries / whatever.

I guarantee this is a better deal then you will find at any store, even on black friday.

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Not sure if you've been in EB in the past few years, but used copies aren't priced anywhere near half-price of new. Especially for first-run, new release, triple-A titles like this one. At best you get around $5 or $10 off EB's regular retail price. [Note: As a general rule, EB pays you about 1/4 to 1/3 what they can sell it for, (so you might get about $20 for it on trade), and then they price it only a few dollars less than new.] -- This is so they can make their EDGE memberships "seem" more attractive, and offer "deeper" discounts on used games, knowing full well it still is more than they paid for it to the consumer.

just have a peek at a few recent titles: https://www.ebgames.ca/SearchResult/...&variantType=2

Also, Halo 5 is barely 3 weeks old. I'm betting they dont have any used copies in yet. That, and getting a USED game for a Christmas gift would be kind of insulting.

Besides, as noted, you can get it NEW at Costco for less than EB would sell it to you used.

FYI, and IMHO paying warranty on a game is a sham. By law, the game (used or new) is already warranted from defects when purchased from retail.
    I wouldn't be insulted if my kids received used video games for Christmas... I know how expensive they can be and it's the thought that counts more than anything. Wow...
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post
    I wouldn't be insulted if my kids received used video games for Christmas... I know how expensive they can be and it's the thought that counts more than anything. Wow...

You might not be, but the kids receiving it can be.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Buy it used. The reviews on Halo 5 were not the greatest and I am sure you can find it on ebay or kijiji. Videos games are waaaaaaay too expensive and spending $100 on a game that will be $50 in a few months is a huge ripoff. You can still be the favorite aunt buying a used game (check disc for scratches) and shrink wrapping it to look "new".

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

You might not be, but the kids receiving it can be.
    My kids have been taught that not everyone has tons of money to spend and to be grateful for what they get. I'm not arguing, just saying...
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hope you were on the ball with the Black Friday sales.

This game was around $45 and $49 several places.

Bestbuy.ca ... Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca all showing it for $49 and all still showing in stock.

Amazon has free shipping...
    Best Buy has free shipping... and they might have it in store

Walmart you will need to add 4 cents to your oreder to qualify for free shipping... but they might still have them in your local store.

Cheers
    Davetherave likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

EB game does not go on sale for new game

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

EB games is rubbish period. Avoid the place at all cost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information