User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maggiespice

Thread: What's a good faucet filter? other than Brita.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I used to like the Brita filter but lately I don't know if it's just a bad filter we'v been getting but it's happened several times now, the cartridge will not light green...indicating that it doesn't work.. we'v tried everything and then we finally replaced the whole faucet mount and got a new filter...that worked for a little while, after a couple weeks it happened again, brand new filter, not working..
    we're pretty much done with Brita, this cannot be acceptable, I don't know what happened to their products..:/ we'v been buying new mounts and filters..and it keeps happening, they don't work!
    and yes, we are putting everything on correctly, we'v never had this problem in the past..until now?...I don't know what's up.
    -nothing has changed with the way we use the filter/and install it.

So we're looking to purchase a new faucet filter, similar to Brita that it will remove all nasty contamination's from the water etc..so it tastes pure.

Any recommendations? something we can buy in store, nothing online please.

And also, it need's to have a filter change indicator of some sort..to know when to change the filter.

Thank you!

(not looking for a whole house filter, we have one of those)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sibling got this filter/pitcher system recently-I have not tried the water but the pitcher's little tap at the bottom would suit a self-serve setup on a counter or level table. https://www.zerowater.com/

Think he got it at Walmart.

Sorry to hear of the Brita filter issues within a couple weeks' of use. There should be some kind of online reviews somewhere that might indicate what is causing the problems.

We used to have the Brita pitcher-it would be used for duration of the filter (the original big pitcher, not the fridge pitcher) and then when a new filter had to be put it in, there would be use of the pitcher until the filter had to be changed again. Interest waned when there was a delay in getting a new filter or taking the used filters to a store for recycling. Then the pitcher got put away into the basement and was ignored.

I've noticed in general, there are some household items with plastic that don't agree with me-the plastic smell or particles seem to irritate my throat, more particularly when the windows are not open to remove as much of the smell as possible. I also react to non-stick coatings in toaster ovens and their packaging.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you, although my parent's would prefer one that attaches to the sink/faucet area, I guess there's not much of a selection out there..that kind of sucks..you'd think there would be more filter options/ I also noticed while browsing online there is a filter called PUR...however I don't think this brand is available in CAD...?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What I did was put a reverse osmosis drinking water system under my kitchen sink. Once the system is up and running, the water is just excellent. I very highly recommend it. It is a little pricey though. I think I paid about $300.00 for it and had to get someone to install it, as it is a bit tricky to do it yourself. My DH normally does the plumbing in the house, but this he did not want to do, as he said if something goes wrong it is too expensive of a system to ruin.

BTW, I also have a fringe filter system as well which is good, but not as good as the RO.
    Last edited by maggiespice; Sun, Nov 29th, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
    JDI007 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you! I actually just spoke to my parent's because they're the ones who wanted to get the filter and my dad said that he thinks the best way to go is an under the sink filter after all..
    I have been looking at Lowe's which we have here so I'v been checking out their website as well as Home Depot to see which items are available in store../ those are the only 2 stores that we have. and look at reviews..although there aren't that many.

My dad said he need's something with an indicator..to know when to change the filters, do they come with that?
    I looked at some of the reverse osmosis systems...they are very pricey and the filters are pricey too, don't know if he'll go for that, is there anything smaller?

I'm looking at some under the sink filters as well..do reverse osmosis and under the sink filters both filter out the same stuff?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We got our RainFresh system from CT. (I think you can buy Rain Fresh at HD, or Rona) If I remember correctly there were 2 or 3 different units to choose from. We got the one with the dual filters. Other systems have one, or three as well.

Yes, it does have an indicator to let you know when to change the filter, which is very nice. Surprisingly enough the filters are dirt cheap! I could not believe it. I think I paid like $7 or 8 bucks for each kind, as mine needs two different filters. (The fridge filter are super expensive, about $60.00 or so)

BTW, I found that because it is only used for the purpose of drinking (and cooking if you so wish), the filters last about 6 months for us.

Ours has the holding tank that goes right under the sink. I am not sure if you buy just the filter system without the tank if it is RO or not. You would have to do a little research on that.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information