User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By beckie.c
  • 2 Post By matty's mom
  • 2 Post By coupon girl

Thread: Looking for your Frugal Europe Travel Tips

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

DH & I are planning an adventure from Sept 21, 2016 to Oct 8, 2016. 18 days of travel in Poland, Germany and France. We may have up to 5 friends join us, depending on their availability.

I'd love to know if you have been, what some of your favorite stops were and what frugal tips you have for best flight/hotel/etc. deals as those are the large chunk of our budget. I've priced out the "plan" via expedia, airbnb, easyjet and europerail. I'm landing in and around $7000 for the two of us (flights, accommodations, travel between countries, a few full-day tours and a very expensive three nights in Munich for Oktoberfest). We'll of course have our meal costs and other museum fees, etc to pay while we are there. We plan to travel light with carry-on only so we can get in and our of airports/train stations with ease.

Stops:
    Poland - Krakow
    Germany - Hamburg, Berlin, Munich
    France - Paris, Caen, Arras

Looking forward to your tips!
    This thread is currently associated with: Via Rail
    Last edited by beckie.c; Wed, Dec 23rd, 2015 at 03:44 PM.
    Ciel and matty's mom like this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Oooooh, so exciting!

Try to get to the Saturday flea Market in Paris. It covers a huge amount of City blocks, and is ajacent to some fantastic open air type antiques shops. I bought some lovely lithographs as souveniers. When it comes to meals the French grocery stores do frozen food in a whole different way. Rows of open freezer bins with different prepared freshly made food flash frozen. We would buy a made fish or poultry dish, and a veggie dish and heat it up in the hotel, but you need to have microwave. It was definitely cheaper than eating out, but most cafe's offer a full course meal at a set price and it is usually enough to fill you for the day. The Louvre takes days to go through. If you like French impressionists, I can't say enough about Musee d'Orsay. It was fantastic. The building remodel from train station to museum is amazing too.

As for Kraków- it is beautiful, but a bit more tourist oriented than some of the other parts of Poland. So there you are in luck. Can't go wrong with hangin out in the central market @ Cloth hall. The architecture is beautiful as it was mostly untouched during the wars. Loved the people watching there. FYI- The main meal traditionaly in Poland is lunch time. We found most restaurants busier then. In fact, some food stands are only open for lunch and it seemed to us, schnitzel is the food of choice. I was there 10 years ago, so not sure how much has changed. Maybe someone else can help.

Sorry, never been to Germany.

Enjoy yourself. I loved Paris and am hoping to go back in a few years with the Family. Poland is homeland for me on one side of my family, but we are from Lodz, which is more central. Have fun!
    Last edited by matty's mom; Fri, Dec 25th, 2015 at 09:21 PM.
    Ciel and beckie.c like this.
    ROAK a Huggies or Pampers code to my local pregnancy centre- toys, clothes, food & diapers always needed!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

enjoy I have only been to Europe on a boat cruise so only saw bits and pieces of venice ,rome ,dubrovnick ,crotia
    -but here is a tip my daughter /hubby just went to rome last night -they plan on seeing rome ,venice ,Florence and my daughter planned the whole iteneriary herself and the tip is they are staying at other people's condo for 2 of the cities -she told me it was cheaper than hotels (I believe she used airb and b) infact the one woman they rented the condo had flowers fruit and a bottle of wine on the table for them -nice touch
    Ciel and beckie.c like this.

Thread Information