User Tag List

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: 2016 financial resolutions.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Our money went flying out the door for a new riding lawnmower. At least we had the money to pay for it but I would have preferred to leave it in savings.
    saundyl, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Our money went flying out the door for a new riding lawnmower. At least we had the money to pay for it but I would have preferred to leave it in savings.
    I hear ya BUT the good news is you had the $, awesome job!
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I'm starting to work on May's budget, forecasting and looking at my list of expenses that only happen once per year to ensure there are not too many unexpected surprises.
    Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Did you earn any points or some other rewards as result of the new purchase?
    macw1960 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

While I did purchase a pop 6pk yesterday with found money this weekend, I'm at the pop vs money intersection. Each $2.80 purchase is a lost opportunity to use that money for bank fees or something else.
    Since spending $15 of $17 set aside (that the money was in the account for 16 days before I spent it) last week, I've had to increase my walks to look for dropped coins or cans/bottles. Fortunately I did find a toonie and some small coins>that paid for yesterday's pop treat-and cans to cover April and part of May's bank fees. The shoe wear is probably going to mean I need to plan on new shoes for June rather than July (something I started to consider last week when planning the OTB spend).
    Bonus points if I can determine which shoes won't cause blisters-I'm on a third blister on left foot already in two months' of wear despite having Band-Aids on daily when walking.
    macw1960 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Has anyone ever budgeted a savings while...considering trying for a baby?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

What I did several years ago before I went on leave to adopt our daughter was make some extra mortgage payments which meant my bank allowed me to skip payments while I was off on EI, which helped that smaller budget stretch further then.
    saundyl, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Did you earn any points or some other rewards as result of the new purchase?
    Well we did save over $500.00 including taxes as it was on sale plus we saved some more money through ebates. Forgot I also got AM as I used a CC and then paid it off.
    Last edited by macw1960; Mon, Apr 25th, 2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Ciel, lilo0003 and jasperandchar like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post

I believe @coupon girl 's daughter did this while trying to conceive, perhaps check with her, it's a great idea
    saundyl, Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    While I did purchase a pop 6pk yesterday with found money this weekend, I'm at the pop vs money intersection. Each $2.80 purchase is a lost opportunity to use that money for bank fees or something else.
    Since spending $15 of $17 set aside (that the money was in the account for 16 days before I spent it) last week, I've had to increase my walks to look for dropped coins or cans/bottles. Fortunately I did find a toonie and some small coins>that paid for yesterday's pop treat-and cans to cover April and part of May's bank fees. The shoe wear is probably going to mean I need to plan on new shoes for June rather than July (something I started to consider last week when planning the OTB spend).
    Bonus points if I can determine which shoes won't cause blisters-I'm on a third blister on left foot already in two months' of wear despite having Band-Aids on daily when walking.
    There must be something wrong with your shoes, they should have been broken in by now AND blisters are so tender.

Have you considered switching from your bank to pc bank, there are no fees. We switched last February/March and I have no regrets. If we need cash we can withdraw from PC bank machines or CIBC. We do have to go to CIBC branches to deposit as we are rural and the bank machines in the grocery store only dispense cash. Just a thought to save you some $ each month.

Great job on the found $ and treating yourself, it's well deserved if I may so with all your savy clothes shopping & altering
    JadeAngel, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Cleaned up the budget today since payday is Friday and I don't plan anymore spending till the weekend!

$113.46 Moved forward for groceries
    $550.12 Moved forward for Misc.

PC MC (11.14) credit balance
    CT MC (29.50) credit balance

POINTS TOTALS:

PC PLUS #1 - 618,630
    PC PLUS #2- 44,975
    AirMILES 283 (Almost $30)
    SDM 220,774 ($380.00)

Happy with the past month! Freezer is still stuffed. But at least we have lots of meal plans. Will try to only buy fresh stuff this next month but there seems to be lots of deals this weekend
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Wed, Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:22 AM.
    Ciel, macw1960 and lilo0003 like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post

@saundyl : Yes. We determined how much we wanted to be in the bank for the baby fund before the baby arrived for furniture, diapers, RESP, etc. Then we divided it up into the number of months we'd be planning to save, for example, $10,000 in 12 months. Each month, we'd put away $833.33 as a percentage of income. If I made 40% of our total income that month, I would put $333.33 in the account and DH would put in the rest. This might vary from month to month.

Since each dollar of income is already spoken for, we cut whatever we could (for example, I started walking to save an extra $3 instead of taking the bus), and paid the minimum on our mortgage for those months. Whenever we found extra money, we would put it in the mortgage since that was where the money was being diverted from. If we were given Christmas money, it went to the mortgage. If I had a coupon for $1 off a product, the extra $1 went into the mortgage. If I found $1 in the shopping cart, it would go in the mortgage. You get the idea.

After the baby was born, we tried to save wherever possible by using cloth diapers, BF, and borrowing as much as we could from friends. I tried to stick to it as much as possible and only used disposable if we went out. Or DH would put on disposables every chance he got. The laundry was intense, but keep the savings goal in mind and you can do a lot of things you didn't think you could as a new mom! Eventually, for LO's entire lifetime, I think I bought 1 large box each of size 1, 2, and 3. I bought two large boxes of size 4s, and we have one large box of size 5 unopened. Our LO will turn 3 in mid-summer.

The two months after LO turned two, she went to a daycare that provided all diapers. You'd think that would help, but we toilet trained her two months into it so there was no need. If we started her there from 13 months, we would have saved a lot more! But, we also found daycares that were willing to use our cloth diaper system. That helped and I carted home dirty cloth diapers each day.

Saving really depends on your stubborness of doing things like laundry and an hour of scrubbing every two days. Come to think of it, I deserve a medal. One kid, five boxes of diapers and only during sleeping after the age of 2. I got a hug from LO this morning, so that pretty much covers it.

No one told me but you don't have to scrub cloth diapers until your baby is eating solids because they're on a liquid diet. I wish I knew! Oh, and those disposable liners you can buy for diapers are unnecessary because LO always pooped around them somehow. I could have saved an extra $40.
    saundyl, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Saundyl: good idea to save 1st. We did not and paid for it for years after.
    Happy to report that 4 months in to the I have taken lunch every single day this year. I must admit there has been more than one day recently I did not want too.
    We have saved enough cash to buy DH a new car as in an 2016 which we had not planned to. We are still holding out with just one though but it si getting rather boring. This was earlier than planned so I have added a new goal, save for the kitchen reno. We live in a early 60's bungalow and the only thing we have not done is the kitchen. It was done in the mid 90's so not that out of date. I am almost done my TFSA for the year, so need to do hubbies and then the kitchen, so excited.
    saundyl, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @saundyl : Yes. We determined how much we wanted to be in the bank for the baby fund before the baby arrived for furniture, diapers, RESP, etc. Then we divided it up into the number of months we'd be planning to save, for example, $10,000 in 12 months. Each month, we'd put away $833.33 as a percentage of income. If I made 40% of our total income that month, I would put $333.33 in the account and DH would put in the rest. This might vary from month to month.

Since each dollar of income is already spoken for, we cut whatever we could (for example, I started walking to save an extra $3 instead of taking the bus), and paid the minimum on our mortgage for those months. Whenever we found extra money, we would put it in the mortgage since that was where the money was being diverted from. If we were given Christmas money, it went to the mortgage. If I had a coupon for $1 off a product, the extra $1 went into the mortgage. If I found $1 in the shopping cart, it would go in the mortgage. You get the idea.

After the baby was born, we tried to save wherever possible by using cloth diapers, BF, and borrowing as much as we could from friends. I tried to stick to it as much as possible and only used disposable if we went out. Or DH would put on disposables every chance he got. The laundry was intense, but keep the savings goal in mind and you can do a lot of things you didn't think you could as a new mom! Eventually, for LO's entire lifetime, I think I bought 1 large box each of size 1, 2, and 3. I bought two large boxes of size 4s, and we have one large box of size 5 unopened. Our LO will turn 3 in mid-summer.

The two months after LO turned two, she went to a daycare that provided all diapers. You'd think that would help, but we toilet trained her two months into it so there was no need. If we started her there from 13 months, we would have saved a lot more! But, we also found daycares that were willing to use our cloth diaper system. That helped and I carted home dirty cloth diapers each day.

Saving really depends on your stubborness of doing things like laundry and an hour of scrubbing every two days. Come to think of it, I deserve a medal. One kid, five boxes of diapers and only during sleeping after the age of 2. I got a hug from LO this morning, so that pretty much covers it.

No one told me but you don't have to scrub cloth diapers until your baby is eating solids because they're on a liquid diet. I wish I knew! Oh, and those disposable liners you can buy for diapers are unnecessary because LO always pooped around them somehow. I could have saved an extra $40.
    Well said! It depends on what you want! With anything planning ahead pays off!
    saundyl, Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I believe @coupon girl 's daughter did this while trying to conceive, perhaps check with her, it's a great idea
    She messaged. Its such a good plan.

Ciel, macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information