User Tag List

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: 2016 financial resolutions.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by amira84 View Post
    I have also tried this "no spend" or "no EXTRA spending" for myself. But i get side tracked when i see something for free or when we are earning money to shop for some item. My question to you is: do you ignore these free/overage typeof deals when you are on your no spending goal?
    Example of Free = if you have to spend $5 to buy something but you are getting $5 LATER as a rebate/cashback for thst item.
    Example of overage = spending $5 for something but getting > $5 LATER as a rebate/cashbsck for that item.

I have noticed that i cant stayaway from free/overage shops so "no spending" is probably not for me. What should I do? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help please! 😊

One more question: do you have a co51 and zweet accoint? I have never seen your "end of month totals" for these accounts. Why dont you use these apps? These are great apps to get money back for commonly used items.
    I have a co51 account...but the offers so rarely match what we purchase in 2 years i have not reached cash out yet.

No spend never seems to work for us...i try more along the lines of groceries only even then i find as soon as we officially decalare it...then something breaks that we use regularly or the boys suddenly decide that nothing fits...or their mom asks for money for something she decided we can afford.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
    Ciel and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Ok I am declaring May a no spend month. The focus of the month will be cleaning up the house and posting all of our junk for sale to fill the (summer fun fund) jar. Our fridge and freezer is full. Will only buy fresh stuff if possible (and absolute good deals only- food wise) Wish me luck!
    Good luck!

Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Ok I know this may be boring, because sometimes it the little things that keep us going but only you guys will get this...still no lunches purchased in 2016. I have packed my lunch everyday this year. Last week I did a last minute meeting for a coworker and the company paid for lunch so that was a nice treat.
    Amira: I have stopped buying just to save or because it's free, if I don't need it I don't buy it. I am trying to get rid of clutter not add to it. For the apps I only count hat as savings when I cash out, so that should be in about 5 years for zweet.
    saundyl, wimbly11, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have also tried this "no spend" or "no EXTRA spending" for myself. But i get side tracked when i see something for free or when we are earning money to shop for some item. My question to you is: do you ignore these free/overage typeof deals when you are on your no spending goal?
    Example of Free = if you have to spend $5 to buy something but you are getting $5 LATER as a rebate/cashback for thst item.
    Example of overage = spending $5 for something but getting > $5 LATER as a rebate/cashbsck for that item.

I have noticed that i cant stayaway from free/overage shops so "no spending" is probably not for me. What should I do? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help please! 😊
    After thinking about our spend habits we dont buy things we don't need right now but might just because of a coupon or offer especially locally in the north. Generally we dont keep a huge stockpile of alot of things. Exceptions are when we shop south and things like tp Kleenex cheese whiz raspberry jam or peanut butter are less than half price of home...then we buy a few months worth.

If we are spending to save we may endup wasting.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Ok I know this may be boring, because sometimes it the little things that keep us going but only you guys will get this...still no lunches purchased in 2016. I have packed my lunch everyday this year. Last week I did a last minute meeting for a coworker and the company paid for lunch so that was a nice treat.
    Amira: I have stopped buying just to save or because it's free, if I don't need it I don't buy it. I am trying to get rid of clutter not add to it. For the apps I only count hat as savings when I cash out, so that should be in about 5 years for zweet.

But Lilo this is my question. Tide pods, gain flings, fabric care sheets, finish dish detergent, dishwasher cleaner, toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioners...these are the things everyone always always ALWAYS uses. Right? So hiw and when shoukd we say stop it? I have tried this "no more soending" or "no more additions to stockpile" resolutions but then i say forget it. If i am gettign $2 back for spending $1 on it and we are going to use it sooner or later....dump this "no spending" policy and let's go to the store. That's my problem. I think i dont have enough discipline and determination to say no to shopping.
    Oh...oh...actually...this reminds me of something! I LOVEEEEEE shopping. Since i dont have friends, i dont get a "me time" or stuff like this (i dont even remember know what do friends talk about? Chatterboxes!), shopping is my"going out for fun" kind of thing. It's actually very therapeutic for me. But i used to shop for clothes or other stuff as a therapeutic shop a long time ago. But since joining SC i have steered my shopping habbits from "fun shopping" to "shopping for stockpile/household". I still get to do shopping but now this is actually a money saving shopping experience for me. And i want to know how to stop.

Like for example, i am very busy shopping for rbsmartsaver mail in rebates these days. And also those free taco shells. A few days ago i was very busy shopping for money maker tide pods, gain flings and etc. Aaaggghhh! I think i should just admit i cant stop.i should buy handcuffs for myself otherwise i wont stop. I know it.
    wimbly11, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have noticed that i cant stayaway from free/overage shops so "no spending" is probably not for me. What should I do? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help please! 

One more question: do you have a co51 and zweet accoint? I have never seen your "end of month totals" for these accounts. Why dont you use these apps? These are great apps to get money back for commonly used items.
    Hi! I just really need to clean my house and get stuff out so trying to just buy the basics (which I usually do anyway but just not get swayed by "deals")
    I am a PC PT collector too so if it is a healthy food and deal then I am all over it. As well as any other deal that is useful and something we use/need then I will buy it.

No I don't have a Zweet or CO51 account. Sounds like the offers run out and I don't want to buy something just to get the benefit of that and then not make the deadline?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

But Lilo this is my question. Tide pods, gain flings, fabric care sheets, finish dish detergent, dishwasher cleaner, toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioners...these are the things everyone always always ALWAYS uses. Right? So hiw and when shoukd we say stop it? I have tried this "no more soending" or "no more additions to stockpile" resolutions but then i say forget it. If i am gettign $2 back for spending $1 on it and we are going to use it sooner or later....dump this "no spending" policy and let's go to the store. That's my problem. I think i dont have enough discipline and determination to say no to shopping.
    Oh...oh...actually...this reminds me of something! I LOVEEEEEE shopping. Since i dont have friends, i dont get a "me time" or stuff like this (i dont even remember know what do friends talk about? Chatterboxes!), shopping is my"going out for fun" kind of thing. It's actually very therapeutic for me. But i used to shop for clothes or other stuff as a therapeutic shop a long time ago. But since joining SC i have steered my shopping habbits from "fun shopping" to "shopping for stockpile/household". I still get to do shopping but now this is actually a money saving shopping experience for me. And i want to know how to stop.

Like for example, i am very busy shopping for rbsmartsaver mail in rebates these days. And also those free taco shells. A few days ago i was very busy shopping for money maker tide pods, gain flings and etc. Aaaggghhh! I think i should just admit i cant stop.i should buy handcuffs for myself otherwise i wont stop. I know it.
    I don't stock up too much on detergent etc because they don't last forever. I have just started using the "pods" since it controls how much soap I use lol. Remember when PC pts just started? And they had the Palmolive promo-2500 PC pts each? I bought about 50 lol. I can't wait till the stockpile is done so I can buy a different kind!!! I have about 10-15 left I think.
    I bought 12 tubes of toothpaste the other day (PM deal) and for pc points and we were almost out. So unless free I won't buy anymore for awhile. I try to stock up within reason now not like I did in the old days when I went crazy.

So my no spend is more for junk/not needed stuff. I have a budget for everything and have been carrying over for groceries and Misc. for the past year so I am doing ok! I am really working on increasing my retirement/savings accounts etc so trying to spend even less.
    wimbly11, Ciel, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Amira: I will admit I do have an not so secret addiction to free dishwasher tabs & laundry soap but once I hit 6 months worth I will only buy if its free and then I give it away if I still get it for free. I also work full time and then some that that makes it easier to let deals slide as I just don't have time and since I despise Walmart my PMing options are limited. I don't care if the shampoo is free right now I won't buy more as I have at least a 6 month supply from past sales and I don't want it to go bad because then even with free I wasted my time chasing the deal. But I live with three men so men's product is always a go. My teen prefers Dove men and so as soon as I see a deal I am on that & then he feels loved. I too love a good deal but I have learned its not a good deal for me or the environment if I have to throw it out. Sometimes a deal is too good to pass up so I will take advantage of it for a friend who has 5 kids. I am going to try for those country natural hotdogs today and I have 5 coupons so if it works I will give her three packages and she does not feel like she owes me and its nice treat for the kids.
    Ciel, jasperandchar and amira84 like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Amira: I will admit I do have an not so secret addiction to free dishwasher tabs & laundry soap but once I hit 6 months worth I will only buy if its free and then I give it away if I still get it for free. I also work full time and then some that that makes it easier to let deals slide as I just don't have time and since I despise Walmart my PMing options are limited. I don't care if the shampoo is free right now I won't buy more as I have at least a 6 month supply from past sales and I don't want it to go bad because then even with free I wasted my time chasing the deal. But I live with three men so men's product is always a go. My teen prefers Dove men and so as soon as I see a deal I am on that & then he feels loved. I too love a good deal but I have learned its not a good deal for me or the environment if I have to throw it out. Sometimes a deal is too good to pass up so I will take advantage of it for a friend who has 5 kids. I am going to try for those country natural hotdogs today and I have 5 coupons so if it works I will give her three packages and she does not feel like she owes me and its nice treat for the kids.
    lol My teen loves the Men Dove shampoo as well! I bought him 3 bottles a few weeks ago (sale/coupons/bonus PC PTS) and just traded for a bunch of coupons for it so will stock him right up. That's what mom is for right?

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Payday this week, so tidying up the bank accounts. I'm trialing the YNAB online software this month to see if I like it better than my homemade spreadsheet. I like seeing the YTD totals in for all of my spending categories, which I can't seem to be find an equivalent on the YNAB site.

We did an update in our bathroom in April - Fresh paint on the ceiling and walls (40% off @ Sherwin Williams was about $100). I upgraded the shower curtain rod ($40), shower curtain hooks ($10) and vanity light fixture ($140) because they were old/rusting/discolored. Kept the accessories and shower curtain since they were wedding gifts and still in great shape! DH installed his fancy new toilet ($220 @ DH cost, not sure the retail price) and tap (almost new and free from a friends reno!). This weekend I'm hopefully going to stain the vanity from the old maple to a nice dark chocolate color (love dark wood), frame the mirror and find a piece of artwork for the blank wall. I think we are going to land just under $600 We will eventually change out the flooring later this year when we do the whole house.

I have a love/hate relationship with my couponing and my Stockpile right now. Even though my stockpile is pretty tiny, I've been giving away a lot of stuff lately because it feels like too much "clutter". I actually haven't logged into CO51 or any of those apps this year yet. We've both been working overtime the last two weeks, working on the house on the weekends and I also have some evening activities, so I'm not putting any extra effort forward on to watch sales/find coupons/etc lately. I've been meal planning for the month and shopping very little. The increased meal planning has actually had a bigger impact on our budget than the sales/couponing...

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    April has kicked us in the ass. My parents came to visit so extra money was spent. Owed $3000 on taxes Step daughters braces started coming out of the bank fund. We are hurting and I'm feeling more than a little discouraged...
    @wimbly11 I feel your pain, May's budget and figures are not even balancing, I haven't had this happen in several years BUT this month will be 1 of those months. Just too many expenses for all the $ to go round, I need to get creative.

I will photocopy our prescription receipts tomorrow evening and mailout for reimbursements, however, that still won't cover much BUT it's a start.

Hope things turnaround, you should be proud of paying off $5k in such a short period of time
    wimbly11, Ciel and amira84 like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

congrats on bringing your lunches/coffees it all adds up,
    Ciel and lilo0003 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Hi! I just really need to clean my house and get stuff out so trying to just buy the basics (which I usually do anyway but just not get swayed by "deals")
    I am a PC PT collector too so if it is a healthy food and deal then I am all over it. As well as any other deal that is useful and something we use/need then I will buy it.

No I don't have a Zweet or CO51 account. Sounds like the offers run out and I don't want to buy something just to get the benefit of that and then not make the deadline?
    says the lady who keeps food in her mother's freezer (just pulling your leg)

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

We just started May and we won't have enough to pay what we would normally pay on our LOC. I'm not sure where the money is going. I need to revisit the budget, I'm just having a hard time tracking....
    Ciel likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I think I'm going to try YNAB?
    Ciel likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast