User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: 2016 financial resolutions.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Saundyl I think black and white is the best way to do it but making someone see it is hard.

I have started marking everything down on a spreadsheet so whenever Mom asks where all out money went I can show her black and white where it went. It also clearly shows every time I give her money when she comes up short.

Right now my main goal is to live within what we earn even though Mom is only getting 16 hours a week at her job. In the past I have always used my savings and emergency money to get through these times but this time there is no end in sight. I am also trying to show her wants vs needs and also needs vs emergency. She feels due to her hours we are in an emergency but to me and emergency is an appliance breaking and we need to replace it or not being able to pay the mortgage not wanting specific groceries, we have food in the house no one if going to starve but yes we do run out of things right now but no staples.
    saundyl, Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Saundyl I think black and white is the best way to do it but making someone see it is hard.

I have started marking everything down on a spreadsheet so whenever Mom asks where all out money went I can show her black and white where it went. It also clearly shows every time I give her money when she comes up short.

Right now my main goal is to live within what we earn even though Mom is only getting 16 hours a week at her job. In the past I have always used my savings and emergency money to get through these times but this time there is no end in sight. I am also trying to show her wants vs needs and also needs vs emergency. She feels due to her hours we are in an emergency but to me and emergency is an appliance breaking and we need to replace it or not being able to pay the mortgage not wanting specific groceries, we have food in the house no one if going to starve but yes we do run out of things right now but no staples.
    I agree 100% on the emergency fund. We depleted ours over 4 months after bf broke his ankle and was off work. It covered the mortgage and the heat which he couldn't being on ei.

He didn't realize how detailed I budget and how I have specific $$going to savings or how much the loan from 2 yrsago is each month. I can show him but he has to be interested enough to look.

I love black and white because I can go back 3yrs n say we paid ....for clothes or hockey or power. And not just a guess.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    ROMEO, Ciel and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

It's never too late to learn wants vs. needs and living within your means
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Sat, May 14th, 2016 at 09:20 PM.
    saundyl, ROMEO, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

DH worked a job Saturday and earned about $200. Driving home yesterday from Saint John hit a roadblock and got a speeding ticket for $170. FML. How on earth do you get ahead?
    ROMEO, Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    DH worked a job Saturday and earned about $200. Driving home yesterday from Saint John hit a roadblock and got a speeding ticket for $170. FML. How on earth do you get ahead?
    That is harsh. If he had not sped, how much longer would he have taken to come home?
    He'll have to pack water and snack for next time so there is no risk of speeding.
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have added a Bags category (50 cents) to my budget spreadsheet. My planner was reviewed for the five months and I fortunately noted almost all coupons used (don't have anything noted for Jan but realized I did not get all my personal care items on the list either so that seems to explain the absence). $28.75 so far and that includes a $10 Shoppers redemption and the free OLG Poker Lotto coupon>so that will be going into a TFSA in July. Time to start that step of having a savings account-need to research some more about any account costs or that money will be parked in my bank account instead.
    ROMEO and macw1960 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    That is harsh. If he had not sped, how much longer would he have taken to come home?
    He'll have to pack water and snack for next time so there is no risk of speeding.
    I can't fault him. I would have sped too. Nice day. New straight stretch of highway lol Damn. We are really struggling lately!! Life is kicking us in the a$$!! I applaud those of you who are making strides with your budget!
    ROMEO, macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    I can't fault him. I would have sped too. Nice day. New straight stretch of highway lol Damn. We are really struggling lately!! Life is kicking us in the a$$!! I applaud those of you who are making strides with your budget!
    @wimbly11 this month is killing our budget as well, there has been too many unexpected expenses, as they say tomorrow is another day and I'm not looking forward to July or August as I will have 2 teenagers with hollow legs so my grocery budget will increase significantly, grr...baby steps
    wimbly11, ROMEO and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @wimbly11 this month is killing our budget as well, there has been too many unexpected expenses, as they say tomorrow is another day and I'm not looking forward to July or August as I will have 2 teenagers with hollow legs so my grocery budget will increase significantly, grr...baby steps
    I feel your pain! I feel like this year I keep saying next month will be better, we'll get back on track..and then BAM!!
    macw1960 and jasperandchar like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

You will need to find them day jobs where they are fed!!!! I guess I will be feeling it too since DS won't be at camp with a packed lunch. He will want full meals for lunch lol. Guess I will be cooking more so we have lots of leftovers. Good thing my youngest is a good eater, I will have to make pasta meals to reheat for him.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

So glad the month of May is almost over, it has been a real expensive month with many unforeseen expenses .

DH & I will sit down to work June's budget over the weekend, I will admit I have been doing the budget myself for the last 5 months and well, I think he will be refocused once we discuss and allocate so much for the various items, dh hates budget day I think that's why I've been doing it myself for 5 months.

My financial goals for June are that the UCCB and CTB and put in a certain account. Going forward in July I want to allocate the new child benefit which gives us an increase AND my plan is to put this towards mortgage pre-payments and a mini family vacation account.

I will only purchase items we absolutely need and/or stockup using coupons for the daily items such as laundry detergent, toilet paper, toothpaste which have a long shelf life BUT primarily hoping to stockup on meat while the sales a good. We really need ground beef so that's my priority.

Wishing everyone a very great June financially
    macw1960, beckie.c and amira84 like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Agreed. May has sucked. Bring on June. Hoping for a better month financially and mentally!

So glad the month of May is almost over, it has been a real expensive month with many unforeseen expenses .

DH & I will sit down to work June's budget over the weekend, I will admit I have been doing the budget myself for the last 5 months and well, I think he will be refocused once we discuss and allocate so much for the various items, dh hates budget day I think that's why I've been doing it myself for 5 months.

My financial goals for June are that the UCCB and CTB and put in a certain account. Going forward in July I want to allocate the new child benefit which gives us an increase AND my plan is to put this towards mortgage pre-payments and a mini family vacation account.

I will only purchase items we absolutely need and/or stockup using coupons for the daily items such as laundry detergent, toilet paper, toothpaste which have a long shelf life BUT primarily hoping to stockup on meat while the sales a good. We really need ground beef so that's my priority.

Wishing everyone a very great June financially
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Budget clean up day!

Well spend so much on groceries this past period it seems, only have approx. $70 carry over compared to my past few times being well over $100. Freezer is still full- Keep finding deals I guess! I did stock up on lean ground beef (and used $40 in PC pts for this but paid $30 for 2 extra packs before I redeemed) So hoping this means the next month or 2 will be just veggies and fruit, bread, milk and eggs hopefully! I really think June will be a cheap grocery month so I am going to really try to just buy fresh stuff and start using the stuff in the freezer.

This past month I stocked up on laundry detergent, shampoo for DS and Aveeno (used overage for grocery items)
    I hope to get more Aveeno at WM and use overage for grocery basics.
    We planted a garden so looking forward to watch it grow and plan meals with our crop!

My points:

SDM 234,454 ($400)
    PC pts #1 649,184 ($649.00)
    PC pts #2 11,775 ($11.00) Redeemed $40 last week.
    Airmiles 359 ($30 for Foodland/Metro)

I've also started putting all savings in my RRSP (this is the plan till December then will re-evaluate).

My Summer Fund jar (selling crap for the jar) is building slowly. Will post items for sale each night this week to keep at it.

Wishing everyone a frugal June!

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I'm looking to make June a more frugal month, we need some quick wins in the budget to get back on track. With an extra pay period this month, this was supposed to be a bonus paycheck but a really nasty stomach virus hit our house last week and put DH off for 4 days and since he's not paid for his sick days, the 'bonus' portion will be tiny. (I was off for 3 days as well, but I have sick pay.)

I'm going to focus on our meal plan this month and see if I can't get our monthly food costs down even more. We've made some good progress with meal planning, but there is still lots of room to improve, especially when it comes to popping to the store during the week for snacks. We also have a small garden planted, and I look forward to using those veggies in a few months time.

My splurge for June is my plane ticket to visit my mom this weekend. I could have saved $150 by driving.... but 10 hours in the vehicle each way, compared to a 1 hour flight was well worth the investment since I only have Thurs-Sun to visit.

I also maxed out my pension contributions, so my paycheck is a bit smaller now.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    I'm looking to make June a more frugal month, we need some quick wins in the budget to get back on track. With an extra pay period this month, this was supposed to be a bonus paycheck but a really nasty stomach virus hit our house last week and put DH off for 4 days and since he's not paid for his sick days, the 'bonus' portion will be tiny. (I was off for 3 days as well, but I have sick pay.)

I'm going to focus on our meal plan this month and see if I can't get our monthly food costs down even more. We've made some good progress with meal planning, but there is still lots of room to improve, especially when it comes to popping to the store during the week for snacks. We also have a small garden planted, and I look forward to using those veggies in a few months time.

My splurge for June is my plane ticket to visit my mom this weekend. I could have saved $150 by driving.... but 10 hours in the vehicle each way, compared to a 1 hour flight was well worth the investment since I only have Thurs-Sun to visit.

I also maxed out my pension contributions, so my paycheck is a bit smaller now.
    We be frugal where we can so we can do the things we want to do to enjoy life. I believe time is money so flying is saving you time and a 10 hour drive is long! Enjoy your visit. I am at a point in my life where I do what I can but having fun and enjoying life is more important!

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information