• 1 Post By Ciel
  • 3 Post By Cake
  • 2 Post By super807
  • 3 Post By MortgageQueen

Thread: New Laws and Policies Coming into Effect....Jan 1st 2016

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Several new laws, government policies, and modifications to existing laws come into effect on Jan. 1, 2016, so here’s a rundown of the provincial and federal changes likely to impact your life – in a large or small way – in the new year.

Income tax cuts for the middle class
    Justin Trudeau’s promised federal tax cut for the middle class (and tax hike for top earners) comes into effect on Jan. 1. The income tax rate will drop to 20.5 per cent, down from 22 per cent, for taxable earnings between $45,282 and $90,563. At the same time, the rate on all income earned beyond $200,000 will rise from 29 per cent to 33 per cent. An estimated 319,000 Canadians will fall into this upper tax bracket.
    Easing student debt burdens
    Starting Jan. 1, the Canada Student Loan Program will no longer cut support to working students for every dollar they earn over $100 a week.
    TFSA dollar limit decreased
    The federal limit for tax-free savings accounts will drop to $5,500 from $10,000, and will be indexed to inflation, as part of the Liberals’ new budget.
    Quebec: Stylish Montreal cabbies
    Taxi cab drivers in Montreal will have to follow a dress code beginning Jan. 1, in accordance with a new law passed by city council. Cabbies will have to wear dark pants or shorts and a white shirt when they’re on the job.
    The dress code is part of Montreal’s efforts to emphasize the professionalism of its licensed cabbies, who are facing competition due to the cheaper rates offered by unregulated Uber drivers.
    Ontario: Winter tire tax break
    Insurance companies will be required to offer some form of discount to Ontario drivers who install winter tires on their cars, in accordance with new legislation from the province’s Liberal government.
    Manitoba: Broadens access to worker’s compensation for PTSD
    Effective Jan. 1, the province of Manitoba will recognize post-traumatic stress disorder as a work-related illness, meaning employees diagnosed with PTSD will have access to coverage under the Workers Compensation Board. The new legislation extends to all workers in province, so nurses and retail employees will be allowed to seek the same coverage as firefighters and first responders.
    Ontario: Driver fines at crossovers
    Starting Jan. 1, drivers in Ontario will have to wait until a pedestrian has reached the other side of a designated school crossing or pedestrian crossover, or face a fine between $150 and $500. The new law that is coming into effect will essentially require drivers to yield the entire width of the road to the pedestrian, instead of half the road, as was previously the case.
    Alberta: Tougher distracted driving penalties
    Distracted drivers caught using a phone in Alberta will face a maximum penalty of three demerit points and a fine of $287, under new legislation that comes into effect Jan. 1.
    Ontario: Nuclear plant charge comes off hydro bills
    Residential hydro customers will see a fee of about $5.60 a month removed from their bills beginning Jan. 1, as the Ontario government scraps a tax it was using to defray the cost of old nuclear plants. However, businesses will still be required to pay the fee.
    B.C.: Health-care premiums going up
    Health-care premiums in B.C. will rise by four per cent on Jan. 1, as part of the province’s latest budget.
    New Brunswick: No more flavoured tobacco sales
    The government of New Brunswick’s ban on the sale of flavoured tobacco products, including menthol, comes into effect Jan. 1. The province has also prohibited the sale of e-cigarettes and e-juices to people under the age of 19. 1.2397231
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel, MortgageQueen, Decaf and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ontario drivers will have more licensing hikes to ring in 2016 with:
    Ontario drivers will see another increase to their driver’s licence fee in September 2016 to $120 after a hike last year to $108. Also experiencing a jump will be motorcycle drivers who will pay $96 for a licence, up from $87; while vehicle permits for trailers rise from $53 to $59; and all farm equipment will have increases from $123 – $975 to $140 - $1,110.
    Fees for drivers licences and plates began a slow rise in price in 2013.
    http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-sto...oming-in-2016/

I feel for the families with a new 16-year old keen to drive but not having a job to help offset the costs of driving lessons, insurance or other operating costs.

About drivers waiting at the crosswalks-I've noticed a handful of drivers since last fall have been observing this protocol but the drivers behind them are not paying attention so near or actual accidents can result (one did). Not expecting a major improvement at crosswalks esp. at retail areas where drivers try to beat the pedestrians trying to enter a crosswalk on a pedestrian signal by turning their vehicles into the road first (why, I was nearly pancaked just this week).
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Jan 2nd, 2016 at 12:38 PM.
    Davetherave and beachdown like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^ As for the 16 yr olds keen to drive, onus is on parents not to spoil their kids from a young age, and to make them value a work ethic which will be beneficial to them in the future. Nobody wants to end up with a sponge as a partner.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    <snip>I feel for the families with a new 16-year old keen to drive but not having a job to help offset the costs of driving lessons, insurance or other operating costs.</snip>
    I must just be extra curmugeony today, because I just can't feel sorry. I did not get my license until I was 20, because I had to pay 100% of my driving costs myself, and had no prayer of picking up the tab until I was in university and working (coop program at University of Waterloo - which I also paid for myself other than my first four months of tuition).

Just because someone reaches the age where they are legally able to drive does not mean that the parents need to shell out the money to make it a reality.

Sorry, rant over. I guess I have to get back to yelling at kids to get off of my lawn.
    strew, Ciel, Decaf and 2 others like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree it's important to train children to take financial responsibility, but 16 is still a child nonetheless.

They should contribute as much as they can humanly do so. But they're not adults so Mom and Dad can kick in.

As they make more money, than adjustments are made, but you have to start somewhere.
    Ciel, GatineauGirl and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Ontario drivers will have more licensing hikes to ring in 2016 with:

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-sto...oming-in-2016/

I feel for the families with a new 16-year old keen to drive but not having a job to help offset the costs of driving lessons, insurance or other operating costs.

About drivers waiting at the crosswalks-I've noticed a handful of drivers since last fall have been observing this protocol but the drivers behind them are not paying attention so near or actual accidents can result (one did). Not expecting a major improvement at crosswalks esp. at retail areas where drivers try to beat the pedestrians trying to enter a crosswalk on a pedestrian signal by turning their vehicles into the road first (why, I was nearly pancaked just this week).

I saw on the news last week that this crosswalk law is only in effect at intersections where there are no flashing cross walk indicators.

I found this:

Ontario's new law applies to pedestrian-activated crossovers identified by flashing amber lights on an overhead X sign. These are typically in the middle of the block. It applies to school crossings where a crossing guard is present. It does not apply to crosswalks at stop signs or traffic signals unless there's a crossing guard there.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Sun, Jan 3rd, 2016 at 01:20 PM.
    Ciel, GatineauGirl and Davetherave like this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    I agree it's important to train children to take financial responsibility, but 16 is still a child nonetheless.

They should contribute as much as they can humanly do so. But they're not adults so Mom and Dad can kick in.

As they make more money, than adjustments are made, but you have to start somewhere.
    Not to disagree with the basic points. Parents have a moral and legal obligation to supply necessities for children. The real problem comes in sifting the necessities from the niceties.

I, unlike many, count the ability to drive a car very far from the "necessity" side of the dividing line for teens. Most driving is unnecessary and wasteful. There is a powerful irony that teens are very much in the "cutting out CO2 emissions" camp, yet there is still strong desire to drive those infernal cars.

Sometimes, the best thing that you can do for kids is to tell them "no".
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

This will be interesting about the pedestrian-activiated crossovers. Some drivers act like there's a race about to start when the pedestrian is off the road but the light's still on.
    At regular intersections with regular pedestrian signals, drivers are a mixed bag of attention at their wheels when it's time for a pedestrian to cross.
    Davetherave likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post

I agree with you. Making kids pay does not make them more responsible, especially when it comes to cars.
    We didn't have the increase in insurance when our 16 year got his license so that was not a factor.

However we were so happy that the chaffering had been reduced.

Sea Cadets, Swimming lessons, hanging with his friends, from his job when the buses stopped running, especially at 40 below.

School involved 3 different buses and that was done daily. But many of the extras could now be done by him.

Got him a CAA membership and did a happy dance.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    I, unlike many, count the ability to drive a car very far from the "necessity" side of the dividing line for teens.
    While the ability to drive a car is not a necessity if you live in an urban area, it very much can be for those living in rural areas, or in smaller cities with poor public transportation systems.

Having a driver's licence can also be a requirement for some jobs (and not just the obvious ones like delivery, cab drivers, bus drivers, etc.). Many scientific researchers who do field work need a driver's licence for their jobs. So does anyone working in any type of law enforcement position other than security guard.

Access to a car is certainly not something that is guaranteed for youth once they no longer live in their parents home. With the graduated system for driver's licence in provinces like Ontario, it takes at least two years to get a full unrestricted (class G in Ontario) licence. If his/her parents own a car, a youth's best opportunity to get the licence is often while he/she still lives at home. While they may not drive once they leave home, if they have their full licence, at least they have opportunities if they need it. But obviously, parents must make the choices that make sense for them.
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    While the ability to drive a car is not a necessity if you live in an urban area, it very much can be for those living in rural areas, or in smaller cities with poor public transportation systems.

Having a driver's licence can also be a requirement for some jobs (and not just the obvious ones like delivery, cab drivers, bus drivers, etc.). Many scientific researchers who do field work need a driver's licence for their jobs. So does anyone working in any type of law enforcement position other than security guard.

Access to a car is certainly not something that is guaranteed for youth once they no longer live in their parents home. With the graduated system for driver's licence in provinces like Ontario, it takes at least two years to get a full unrestricted (class G in Ontario) licence. If his/her parents own a car, a youth's best opportunity to get the licence is often while he/she still lives at home. While they may not drive once they leave home, if they have their full licence, at least they have opportunities if they need it. But obviously, parents must make the choices that make sense for them.
    That is a very excellent point super807. One that I didn't even think of. Really almost a part of finishing the job of raising your teenager in some ways. Mind you, some parents can't afford it through no fault of their own.

I like the idea of parent supervision through this process. I also agree with Brunt that it is a privilege, and that factor should be included in the process. Certainly frivolous driving and lack of responsibility could be addressed by parents.
    Ciel, super807 and Davetherave like this.

Thread Information