User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree450Likes

Thread: FOODS that are cheaper to PURCHASE pre-made for less THAN making YOURSELVES

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    From my earlier post where I stated that we buy frozen pie crusts - not anymore! I finally had the nerve to try making these again and they weren't great but were good enough for second time ever making. I just didn't add enough water so I know what to do for the next batch. They were so quick and easy to make. I did up a whole pound of lard so it made 6 crusts which I froze in discs for when I need them.

The first time I made pie crust it was an epic fail because I used crisco. Gosh never again!

So here is my math - 1 pound of tenderflake lard $1.50 divided by 6 crusts = $0.25 each
    One box of two tenderflake pre-made crusts $1.97 divided by 2 = $0.99 each

I didn't count the flour in the homemade ones because I always have some on hand and really what difference does it make? A few cents? You get the idea that I'm going for here with price comparison.
    We really should try again (making our own pizza crust) we tried many and didn't like at all. Now our fav is the thin crust walmart brand for $3.97 (it's a 2 pk and comes with sauce) So $2 each plus our toppings. Less work too but will try again for sure in the fall maybe
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I find it much cheaper to make pizza dough but I will admit we have a bread machine so really it does all of the work. I have never broken it down but I am sure it is under $1.00/batch which gives us 2 pizzas.

3 Cups Flour
    Pinch Salt
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    1 1/2 Teaspoon Yeast
    1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

All ingredients we always have on hand. We buy our flour in 10 KG bags and the past few years I have been able to get $1 coupons so I usually pay $8.99 or lower for 10 KG.

Since we get two crust out of each batch I freeze half or on weekends I will throw a batch in the bread machine slip in half and freeze.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sun, Apr 3rd, 2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Additional Thoughts
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I find it much cheaper to make pizza dough but I will admit we have a bread machine so really it does all of the work. I have never broken it down but I am sure it is under $1.00/batch which gives us 2 pizzas.

3 Cups Flour
    Pinch Salt
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    1 1/2 Teaspoon Yeast
    1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

All ingredients we always have on hand. We buy our flour in 10 KG bags and the past few years I have been able to get $1 coupons so I usually pay $8.99 or lower for 10 KG.

Since we get two crust out of each batch I freeze half or on weekends I will throw a batch in the bread machine slip in half and freeze.
    Using these weights from https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
    Flour 125g per cup = 375 g
    Yeast 4g per tsp = 6g
    Olive oil 15ml per tbsp
    Sugar 4.2g per tsp

Using these prices:
    Flour $9/10kg
    Yeast $4/113g
    Olive oil $8/liter
    Sugar $2/2kg

Flour $.34
    Yeast $.21
    Olive Oil $.12
    Sugar $.01
    Salt -
    -------------
    Total: 2 crusts = $.67 1 crust = $.34
    bluerose, Angela273, Ciel and 4 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I find I can get 3 thin crusts out of a similar recipe, so 1 batch makes a meal for 3 adults, a teen and a preteen.

And I find it tastes better than shop bought as it tends to rise while baking. It's about the only thing I use my bread machine for.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Oh goodness at that store bought pizza dough - ick!! I've only ever had it once or twice in my whole life. I grew up with my gran always making fresh breads so we obviously had dough for things like this too. I just use the recipe in the booklet that I was given with my bread machine. I got the bread machine for free 9 years or so ago. The reason they were getting rid of it was because they were trying to save on power. LOL the thing barely uses anything!!! We don't pay for power where we live and even when we did its not a significant amount that you would even be able to tell. I'd compare it to using a slow cooker on low for 1.5-3 hours.

But if we didn't have a bread machine then I wouldn't even bother. I love ours though. We use it for homemade bread (so much better then store bought), cinnamon rolls and pizza dough.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have a bread machine so will try the recipe out, thanks!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We have found that our pizza tastes better if we bake on high heat(425 degrees) for about 18 minutes and we also put an empty cookie sheet on the rack above it-somehow I think this reflects some of the heat back down and makes the crust crispier.
    Angela273, Ciel, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    We have found that our pizza tastes better if we bake on high heat(425 degrees) for about 18 minutes and we also put an empty cookie sheet on the rack above it-somehow I think this reflects some of the heat back down and makes the crust crispier.
    Good to know! We will perfect it one day!!
    Ciel, macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    Yeah thats usually what we do 425-450 for 20 minutes or so. You need to watch it for the last five minutes because it can go from super yummy best pizza ever to ugh, thank heavens its pizza otherwise I wouldn't be willing to pick off the crusty browned/black pieces.
    Angela273, Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

I have only used my bread maker for white bread so I will have to put it to more use I see and make pizza dough.
    Ciel likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Puff pastry... Made some homemade the other day and wanted to shoot myself. NEVER AGAIN! I will always buy store bought from this point forward.

Consumer Reports ran a test where they showed you can reduce your electric bill by boiling a kettle of water and then pouring it into a pot (say for boiling noodles) rather then bringing water to a boil on the stove. It may not seem like much but a penny saved is a penny earned!

And speaking of boiling water, I usually make my own veggie and chicken stock with leftover chicken bones/celery/carrots ect... Putting scraps to good use. It is way healthier for you then the cheap Knorr bouillon cubes in the yellow box that are filled with Sodium. I recently tried the "Homestyle" stock however, and it would be a good option for the price for those that don't use stock that often, comparing to having something on the oven simmering all day. I use my smoker a lot and make homemade stock at the same time if I don't plan on putting something on all the racks so it isn't an extra operating cost.
    Angela273 and Ciel like this.
    Keep Smiling!
    Super Mel

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

tub of candy cane ice cream for $0.50
    Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just in case it helps McDonald's has an app that has coupons attached. Right now it is $1 off a Breakfast Meal, $1 off a Value Meal and b1G1 McFlurry.....these last until Jan 29th and then they refresh. In December there was one for a Free Big Mac with no purchase required. I don't use it often but it is nice to know I can even get a deal at McDonald's if i want to
    JadeAngel, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Mel View Post
    Puff pastry... Made some homemade the other day and wanted to shoot myself. NEVER AGAIN! I will always buy store bought from this point forward.

Consumer Reports ran a test where they showed you can reduce your electric bill by boiling a kettle of water and then pouring it into a pot (say for boiling noodles) rather then bringing water to a boil on the stove. It may not seem like much but a penny saved is a penny earned!

And speaking of boiling water, I usually make my own veggie and chicken stock with leftover chicken bones/celery/carrots ect... Putting scraps to good use. It is way healthier for you then the cheap Knorr bouillon cubes in the yellow box that are filled with Sodium. I recently tried the "Homestyle" stock however, and it would be a good option for the price for those that don't use stock that often, comparing to having something on the oven simmering all day. I use my smoker a lot and make homemade stock at the same time if I don't plan on putting something on all the racks so it isn't an extra operating cost.
    I prefer Aurora cubes over Knorr but they do have MSG. Want to not have any if I can help it. Thanks for the stock tips.
    Angela273 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Mel View Post

Puff pastry-I made it once. Such a long process to make the dough (turns, adding butter, kneading, resting dough). Then making the actual pastry you want. LONG DAY. Worth buying that butter croissant at the French bakery occasionally.
    Angela273 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information