User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: Decluttering in 2016!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    I have CP come pick up my extra stuff regularly: http://ofcp.ca/donate/collection/
    I use to, until I found out how little they get for the donations. It's what 9 cents per pound, while the owner of Value Village is a millionnaire? If I really have to, my husband's church has a thrift shop I donate the stuff to, or I bring them to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I use to, until I found out how little they get for the donations. It's what 9 cents per pound, while the owner of Value Village is a millionnaire? If I really have to, my husband's church has a thrift shop I donate the stuff to, or I bring them to Goodwill or Salvation Army.
    I don't have a car, so I appreciate the pick-up service. And for all I know, I am sending charities things that they have to pay to dispose of. I am not concerned with someone making a profit off my junk when I am getting such an incredible service - all of my stuff sorted and either sold for the best value or recycled or disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner and all I have to do is call. I don't know that churches have the manpower to ensure every last thing is recycled or disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner. Goodwill isn't an option here, and the Sally Ann is snowed under with pure garbage that no one would ever want...but they helpfully lay it out every food bank day. Dirty, broken garbage that will never have any value recovered or recycled because they don't have the infrastructure to do this.

Value Village has been fantastic for getting rid of my older electronics, and I'm thrilled to know they have techs to repair them and get them to people in need, or recycle them...the dept is about a km down the street, but as I said, I don't have a car. The electronics recycling depot is also a for-profit business, so how do I know they are not going to turn around and sell my items anyway?

Value Village has great infrastructure to reduce waste, and that's why I pick them every time.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I will not have a problem with my self-imposed target of 100 items a month out of the house. Last weekend I hit the 12 yr olds room. Loads of stuff was removed. Clothes he does not wear or like are ready to go. He has a 15 yr old brother and many hand me downs don’t work. They have totally different taste in clothes but also their coloring is not even close, pale ginger with freckles & dark hair olive skin (same parents). The clothes will go to friends. I thought about Platos closet but we know families that can use them so this saves me a trip. I did stop at Value Village today as we removed all the games for kids under 12, its on my way to the office. I also took 20 books to the used bookstore and while she does not pay cash I was able to bring 4 books home & I still have a huge credit. DS#2 has at least 50 books he needs to let go of so that will be the next trip.
    Last edited by lilo0003; Thu, Feb 18th, 2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You've decided to declutter! Good for you!

This is a very overwhelming process. I speak from lots of experience lol!

When my husband left 4 years ago I decided that not only was some dead weight of a human gone. I should go through and get rid of the dead weight gathered from years of being domesticated. The biggest thing I can suggest, if you're just starting to think about doing this, is to not look at your ENTIRE house all at once. I did this for months and ended up doing nothing. Simply fixate on one area. Pick the area you spend the most time in. Everything else can wait!

After you've decided on what room to work on (living room, kitchen, bathroom etc...) focus on one area of that room at a time. Have bags for garbage and donation ready! You'll need it! After the decision to purge was made, detaching myself from items was easy. With loads and loads of "fluff" being removed from my home I was able to shift and move things around to make it look pretty again. I have to admit it was very empowering to clear years of clutter from closets, drawers and shelves. It made the house feel so much more open and organized. Which in turn made me feel very happy about how things were here.

Once a month or so I still do this purge. It isn't anywhere near the extent of when I started. Just enough to keep myself clutter free.
    wimbly11, Silk, macw1960 and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

This weekend I tackled my side of the master bedroom closet and dresser. I was pretty ruthless and only kept things that fit and that I actually liked. Two garbage bags later and I'm now down to half the amount of clothes. Now to get DH to tackle his clothes... somehow even with wearing a uniform 5 days a week, he has 4 or 5 times the clothes that I have lol.

This week I am going to tackle the guest bedroom. The closet holds all of our linens/blankets/towels/etc and keepsake items. One bag at a time, we are making progress.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

We filled two bags of old magazines for recycling. And 3 small boxes for donation. Dropped them all off today. Gone! And DH took a few items to work for props for his students. Perfect, out of the house!

Plus we started insulating our basement and got the longest wall insulated and framed. Productive weekend!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

It sounds like everyone is doing a fantastic job of decluttering! DH and I will be attacking the garage when the weather is warmer. Too many tools and stuff that are doubles are never going to be used. Then we will insulate and drywall.
    Davetherave likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemykids View Post
    The biggest thing I can suggest, if you're just starting to think about doing this, is to not look at your ENTIRE house all at once. I did this for months and ended up doing nothing. Simply fixate on one area. Pick the area you spend the most time in. Everything else can wait!
    I wholeheartedly agree! And then I'd add, pick something that's driving you bonkers. Running late in the morning because you can't find your keys? Can't find an outfit that doesn't clash because all the clothes that fit are in the laundry? There's a mountain of mail on your kitchen table so you eat in the living room?

Over the years, I've found that the process of decluttering also involves creating routines because the lack of routine is how we end up being disorganized and a house full of clutter.

What I'm looking at myself is the mail ending up on my kitchen table every day. As I receive it, I take out the junk mail out and throw it away, but every thing else takes residence until I no longer have room to put a plate down to eat. It's just a matter of taking a few minutes each day and putting stuff away, but somehow I persist in my procrastination.
    Last edited by blueeyetea; Fri, Mar 4th, 2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: edited typos.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    This weekend I tackled my side of the master bedroom closet and dresser. I was pretty ruthless and only kept things that fit and that I actually liked. Two garbage bags later and I'm now down to half the amount of clothes. Now to get DH to tackle his clothes... somehow even with wearing a uniform 5 days a week, he has 4 or 5 times the clothes that I have lol.

This week I am going to tackle the guest bedroom. The closet holds all of our linens/blankets/towels/etc and keepsake items. One bag at a time, we are making progress.
    I did the same thing over the Christmas holidays. The closet looks so good now and everything is wearable! I tossed out so much junk and stuff I didn't wear/like. Now I can't wait to go shopping and get myself a new Spring wardrobe

Trading Score
    87 (100%)

I am ready with 2 bags of kids clothes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    macw1960, beckie.c and Davetherave like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-I just took 3 bags to value village the other day -I like their stamp card when you donate and when its full I get 30% off -love that got the 3 bags out and then on to a new bag -just cleaned all old meds out of bathroom (took to pharmacy)
    -like something old out and new can come in just threw out 3 pairs of holey socks (nope I don't mend my socks use to years ago)and I bought a new pair yesterday on clearance of course $2.05
    wimbly11, macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    I take out the junk mail out and throw it away
    You can also put a sign on your mailbox that says, "No Junk" and you'll stop getting that stuff altogether. =D

Also, look at all you ladies working here!! Good for you =D!!
    macw1960, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemykids View Post
    You can also put a sign on your mailbox that says, "No Junk" and you'll stop getting that stuff altogether. =D
    The junk mail I seem to get a lot of is the addressed kind, and which Canada Post has a duty to deliver. I should know better than sign up for catalogs and magazines.
    macw1960 and Davetherave like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Mr P has been working in the garage over the past few weeks. He's got of 3 black bags of trash and made some shelves to tidy away a lot of what is left in there. Before long we'll be able to get our cars in there..

From our bedroom, I have decluttered 2 bags of general trash and a bag of paperwork, mainly penguinette1's elementary school documentation.
    wimbly11, macw1960 and beckie.c like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Great job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Mr P has been working in the garage over the past few weeks. He's got of 3 black bags of trash and made some shelves to tidy away a lot of what is left in there. Before long we'll be able to get our cars in there..

From our bedroom, I have decluttered 2 bags of general trash and a bag of paperwork, mainly penguinette1's elementary school documentation.
    macw1960 likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information