User Tag List

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree3260Likes

Thread: February 2016 Frugal chatter thread - All Welcome!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Ok. I decided to call the two licenses daycare centres in Estevan to price out childcare for if I go back to work in September. This is what I found out.

This daycare is located 1 block away from my house.
    $757 each until 18months
    $644 each 18months to 2.5yrs
    $587 each 2.5-3yrs old
    $530 each 3-5yrs old
    $473 when in kindergarten

$2,044 month for our 3 children until the twins are 18 months old.
    Plus $200 damage deposit.
    Subsidy is on a month basis and is often 2 months behind

This childcare is located all the way at the far side of our city and across the railroad tracks, which is a big traffic issues where I live. They do not accept children under 18 months of age. They also have possible subsidy.
    $645 each 18months to 2.5yrs
    $530 each 2.5-5yrs old
    $590 if they are still potty training 2.5-5yrs old
    $505 when in kindergarten

Daycare located 15km away in a small town, attached to the elementary school.
    $680 each until 18months
    $600 each 18months to 2.5yrs
    $500 each 2.5-3yrs old

$1,860 month for our 3 children until the twins are 18 months old, but this would also take me a fair bit of time and gas if I were to be driving out there every day.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Angela-Is there somebody reliable that would come to your home and care for the children if you decide to work-the cost may be similar plus you would have the advantage of not having to get all the children ready and out the door, perhaps some tidying while the children sleep and maybe even dinner prepped or put in the oven for your return. Many years ago I had a friend who paid half of her paycheque to a nanny to look after her little guy. Her reasoning was that it was only for a few years and it enabled her to keep moving up the pay scale, having her employer make pension contributions etc. Good luck with whatever you decide, but it certainly is not easy or cheap to return to work with small children.

CL-hope you and your brother feel better soon.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    No they didn`t. I finally called them to see if they got the fax. She asked if I needed it today. I felt like asking her "do you not hear me cough". I`m usually pretty easy going but coughing for a week with very little sleep can make me quite cranky.

On top of that I got a call yesterday that one of my brothers is in the hospital. After seeing numerous Dr. and being sent home because according to them there`s nothing wrong. They have a nurse come in for home care and after listening to his heart and lungs she told SIL to get him to emerge...by this time he could hardly breath. Was told he has about 20 lbs of fluid around his lungs.
    @Crochetlady : Oh, I've had that cold dozens of times! Are you congested as well? I was prescribed the inhaler with the nasal spray and it really helped me get some sleep. Combined with a bottle of Buckley's, it helped a lot.

I hope your brother is okay and that you're feeling better soon. Sending you warm well-wishing thoughts on this chilly day!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Angela273 : Are those costs bi-weekly? If you say those are the monthly costs, I think I'll need a bag to hyperventilate in. Maybe I'll just move to your area.

For us, we went with the lowest priced but best we could afford. The costs we're facing are comparable to what you listed but bi-weekly. Luckily, it includes food, diapers, and wipes, though LO has been out of diapers since September. This month, LO will be having diaperless naps.

We tried looking for a home daycare, but all the regulated ones (with a monthly surprise check) had large dogs, and sometimes multiple dogs. I like dogs, but for LO with allergies and skin sensitivities, it wouldn't work out. Plus, the cost was as much and sometimes more than the regulated facilities. They are no cheaper here!

I think if we had multiples, we'd definitely be looking at the nanny option. I don't think we could afford to have more children at this point though.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow - that is the monthly rate. We have to provide the diapers, change of clothes, and I think wipes too. They provide everything else. I am not aware of any home daycare a that are actually regulated or get inspections. It depends on the daycare as to whether or not they are comparable or cheaper. There are provincial guidelines regarding number and ave of children per childcare provider. I know that the previous home daycare went over numbers, particularly with younger children. There are 6 elementary schools in Estevan, but only the 2 licensed daycares. Having someone come into our home is another option to explore as time goes on.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Excuse me while I go on wikipedia and check out Estevan, SK.... Tonight I'm telling DH to pack our bags, we're moving!

We have regulated home care here. The company is called Wee Watch and home daycares register for a fee with the company who does random checks to make sure all the homes are equipped with safety gates for younger ones, all cribs, equipment is in good repair, police checks on the child minders, .... These places all seem to charge just as much as the facilities though.

In a big city, there are too many strangers walking in and out of places that it's hard to find someone you can trust. Even if you do, someone you know will always have a horror story or there will always be some poor child in the newspaper about unregulated home care. So, until I have family that moves close, is retired, and can spare all their free time, I don't think I can cut the cost of care.

Or, next week, we move to Estevan. Ha ha! Unfortunately, I don't think the main job markets there will be kind to us.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    @Crochetlady : Oh, I've had that cold dozens of times! Are you congested as well? I was prescribed the inhaler with the nasal spray and it really helped me get some sleep. Combined with a bottle of Buckley's, it helped a lot.

I hope your brother is okay and that you're feeling better soon. Sending you warm well-wishing thoughts on this chilly day!
    The crazy thing is that until today the cough was the only symptom I had. Today I started with a runny nose. This is the first cold I`ve had in years.

How long did yours usually last?

I remembered this afternoon that I have an appointment for my eye injection tomorrow morning. I called the office and explained the situation. We decided to cancel...don`t want a needle in my eye when I start coughing.
    Last edited by Crochetlady; Wed, Feb 10th, 2016 at 03:22 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Sweet Sparrow - the job market took a big hit since the oil prices fell. If you are curious here are some websites to check out.

http://www.discoverestevan.com
    http://www.discoverestevan.com/community-events

http://m.saskjobs.ca/jsp/mobile_file...1&region_id=18
    Caddle Referral Code:

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

No they didn`t. I finally called them to see if they got the fax. She asked if I needed it today. I felt like asking her "do you not hear me cough". I`m usually pretty easy going but coughing for a week with very little sleep can make me quite cranky.

On top of that I got a call yesterday that one of my brothers is in the hospital. After seeing numerous Dr. and being sent home because according to them there`s nothing wrong. They have a nurse come in for home care and after listening to his heart and lungs she told SIL to get him to emerge...by this time he could hardly breath. Was told he has about 20 lbs of fluid around his lungs.
    I just went through something similar with my Mom - that is why I asked if they checked for bronchitis. My mom was misdiagnosed (walk in clinic on a sunday) as having sinus troubles - even though she had been coughing for an entire week with hardly any sleep. I promptly made an appt with her family doctor and told him that this needed to be checked again - he cringed when he listened to her lungs, started her on antibiotics even before she had her xray. xray showed bronchitis. After a day on antibiotics, what difference.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

so sorry to hear about your brother, hope they get you your meds today....geez...
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@Angela273 those are great rates....wowzers
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    It's coming on 2am and I haven't gotten to bed yet. As I've said before, the twins are teething. Tonight it is baby girl who is still up, both of her brothers were up earlier. It's really hit and miss sometimes. Baby girl slept soundly for about 10.5hrs, but I was up with her twin brother from 4:30-6am on Monday night.
    Mine is teething too. She is sleeping and so am I (due to co-sleeping), but more wakings. We are trying to move away from the co-sleeping since the regression...this requires me to stay awake while doing night feedings. Ha!

Dr. office called this morning before 9:00. Good news is it`s not pneumonia. She was going to fax in a prescription for a puffer. I`ll see if they will deliver it. Really don`t feel like going out to clean off the car. Didn`t get any sleep last night...every time I tried to I`d have another coughing fit so I finally gave up and played on the computer all night.
    So happy pneumonia is off the table. Feel better.

Question

Our cleaner has been unreliable of late. She keeps cancelling last minute. I think she cancels on me because I am nice. Her cleaning has not been as thorough lately. I am looking into other services. I have a difficult time knowing the best way to end such services. Do I tell her I no longer require them? or Do I explain why I am trying another service? I care about people enough that I want to be able to make eye contact without hurt feelings if we run into each other. It is a little thing but seems a big deal.

I have had this problem with out of home estheticians in the past. One I was able to leave a brief but honest message on her answering machine and the other well, I never rebooked, nor did I give notice because she embarrassed me during my appointment and did harm to my mother without apology.

You ladies have some good advice, so have at 'er!
    Last edited by Granger; Wed, Feb 10th, 2016 at 04:12 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think I would be inclined to just let her know( even by email or phone) that you will no longer be requiring her services. I don't think you are in anyway obliged to give her a reason unless you choose to. Good luck.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I had a cleaner come in for a while when I had a really bad flareup. She was having personal problems and it showed. She was sloppy with her cleaning. Also very bold...she would ask if she could take things home. I`m not a fussy person but it got to the point that I couldn`t tolerate it anymore. I hinted a couple times and then finally told her I could`t afford to keep her on...which was the truth by the way.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    so sorry to hear about your brother, hope they get you your meds today....geez...
    Guess I`ll be coughing again tonight. They never did deliver. That was the primary reason for switching...I was quite happy at the old pharmacy.

Oops spoke too soon. I didn`t think they would deliver this late. It`s a small town pharmacy that closes at 5:30. I guess he was doing a bunch of deliveries after closing.
    Last edited by Crochetlady; Wed, Feb 10th, 2016 at 07:28 PM.

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information