User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Anyone else have to confirm email instore?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I shopped this morning and a box popped up on the screen asking the cashier to confirm my email address (which she read out loud for the whole store to hear)
    It happened to the person in front of me too, I am pretty sure its not a targetted thing, but wondered if it is a store thing or if others had also experienced this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel and Davetherave like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, hasn't happened to me, and I hadn't heard of this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I shopped this morning and a box popped up on the screen asking the cashier to confirm my email address (which she read out loud for the whole store to hear)
    It happened to the person in front of me too, I am pretty sure its not a targetted thing, but wondered if it is a store thing or if others had also experienced this?
    Hmm. I wonder what would happen if you say, "No"? It's not too good of SDM to do this, I think. Anybody nearby can get your e-mail address and spam you.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I know a couple of girls that have pretty embarassing email addresses. Just imagine if they make a purchase at this store and use their optimum card linked to those embarassingly funny email addresses.
    Natalka, Ciel, csaund21 and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Hmm. I wonder what would happen if you say, "No"? It's not too good of SDM to do this, I think. Anybody nearby can get your e-mail address and spam you.
    I would imagine they would ask for an updated one
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

Happened to me recently.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Yes, it's normal for that to happen. It's just a confirmation that your email is still the same so you can continue (or start) to receive offers. The cashier should have turned the monitor towards you and asked you to verify the address was correct.

If you don't currently have an email on file with SDM sometimes a screen will pop up asking if you'd like to add your email to their data base. It's ALWAYS your choice to decline. You do NOT have to provide any information to SDM that you don't wish to.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    Yes, it's normal for that to happen. It's just a confirmation that your email is still the same so you can continue (or start) to receive offers. The cashier should have turned the monitor towards you and asked you to verify the address was correct.

If you don't currently have an email on file with SDM sometimes a screen will pop up asking if you'd like to add your email to their data base. It's ALWAYS your choice to decline. You do NOT have to provide any information to SDM that you don't wish to.
    Hmmm, I shop there 2-3 times a week and never got it before, the lineup for the 2 cashes were long so it must be annoying the cashiers
    ~ ~ ~

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Shoppers can't send out emails without your permission so they keep on asking people who are not using their email loadables. The optimum account needs an activity to stay active and will expire after one year. Just from observing others not too many are even using the optimum card.
    I've been told that I am the third highest collector in the store with the SDM accountant and manager (father of twins) being of greater value. There is one other customer who is like me when it comes to getting the best deals but so far have never met.
    Last edited by sirandrewr; Mon, Feb 1st, 2016 at 08:53 PM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had it happen last year for a card that I didn't use as frequently as my main card and it was at the store I always go to

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    No, I have not. You do raise a valid point about privacy with the scenario you experienced.
    Davetherave likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Never happen to me but would be upset if cashier as me in a loud voice
    Davetherave likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

happened to me, but the cashier just swiveled the screen over to me and pointed to the email address asking to confirm if it was the right one.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dchu76 View Post
    happened to me, but the cashier just swiveled the screen over to me and pointed to the email address asking to confirm if it was the right one.
    That's a better way!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wanted to buy an SDM giftcard. Head cashier wanted to see my id to confirm MC which is fine. but then she wanted to write down my DL license # which is a REAL big no-no and invasion of privacy. Dont' let a cashier ever read out your personal information or record any personal information.
    Ciel likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information